Avon Timeless Spray Cologne

Avon Timeless Spray Cologne

3.5

on 1/5/2015 8:16:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Timeless is a fragrance for fans of historic vintage scent. My bottle of timeless is an older version of a dab fragrance, not the newer spray depicted above. I dislike spray application intensely as it releases too much fragrance and amplifies the powdery aspects (IMO). I don't recommend this fragrance if you spray it; it will amplify the brash, in your face, powdery qualities.

Agree with the reviews of SorceressOfTheDark and ColorfulMe below. Timeless opens in a straightforward way that comes across as a classic abstract aldehydic floral with an oriental dry down. I don't think it's like chanel 5 vintage (which I am not a fan of because of the high concentration of civet in chanel). But, neither timeless nor chanel smell like a specific flower or realistic floral blend in contrast to the more modern realistic classic aldehydic florals like EL Beautiful or Amouage Dia.

Within a few minutes, Timeless morphs into a sweet, almost oriental with a powder finish. I believe ColorfulMe described Timeless as a Balsamic oriental chypre. I have been focusing so much on green chypre, that I forgot about balsamic category. It's warmer, more oriental, and less funky than vintage Miss Dior (black and white houndstooth bottle of EdC). And, to me less oriental amber than Shalimar, but more opoponax powder. Perhaps it's analog could be LHB which I find more throat scratchingly powder than Timeless. ( Timeless does lack the anise note of LHB). Another analog could be a Caron vintage Nuit de Noel, but I think Avon's To a Wild Rose (mainly wood with a rose undertone and a bit darker) is a bit closer to NdN. I don't think of Timeless as predominantly a chypre (whereas I think of vintage Miss Dior as definitely a chypre), but perhaps that is a subjective matter where chypre and oriental might intersect.

Timeless is not a fragrance that gives the impression of darkness or complexity (what others might call murkiness) , but rather than saying it's simple in composition (it's classic composition isn't actually all that simple), one could regard it as well blended with a clear point of view. Avon Occur could be it's funkier, animalic cousin.

I recommend buying older versions of avon, readily available on line. If possible, try to purchase full bottles that have been stored in their boxes for a possible safeguard against light deterioration. Sadly, many avon bottles were displayed in light for their kitschy, quirky charm, without regard to the preservation of content. The color of vintage Timeless should not be darkened but rather a pale to medium toned gold. I also don't liketo purchase vintage atomizer bottles (I have had bad luck with the purchase of a few vintage atomizer dior EdCs that were turned to acetone harshness but not dab or splash). If your bottle is fusty, musty, dark colored or smells rancid, then it probably was stored in light or heat. Since vintage avon is so inexpensive and readily available. I am reluctant to demote stars for this possibility.

For those who denigrate Avon as a cheap budget house or think that vintage Avon scents are 'old lady,' I would observe that vintage Avon fragrance contains more quality ingredients than many modern niche brands today, without IFRA or EU regulations or the high costs of advertising budgets. I would also observe that many of the super high priced modern perfume houses, ie, Roja Dove (Nuwa and Fetish), seem similar in reference points to mid century fragrances such as EL Aliage, Azuree and others.

By the way, I am NOT a fan of modern avon fragrance (I loath and abhor Avon extraordinary, a release from 2005 that mixes chocolate, champagne and another foody note with throat scratching, parching, sneeze worthy powder finish) so if you are a fan, our tastes may diverge.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

To me, this smells more like Obsession without the skank, than Shalimar. I really enjoy the leathery woody scent of this.

on 9/4/2013 3:27:00 PM

This fragrance is stunningly beautiful. It IS Timeless...vintage and classically beautiful. This fragrance is a warm rich amber-like fragrance with hints of powder, spice and soft vanilla. It is a sophisticated sultry fragrance. I cannot believe that this is Avon and priced like it is.......it smells so expensive. I don't ever want to be without this fragrance and all the products that are made...i.e., powder, lotion, deodorant and fragrance.

on 12/17/2011 10:01:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

A classic, leather-chypre, rather nice and warm in the old style. It's a bit masculine, but the warm leather is cozy and it's a wonderful almost skin scent once it dries down from the initial blasting onset of LOUD. This one actually does deserve to be timeless. Very nice. Definitely won't appeal to the fruityfloral crowd.

I've used this off and on for many years. I've started using again and am back in love. It is so soft and romantic. I enjoy powdery scents and this is one. Wish they still made the shower gel to go with. I do like the softener as well. This lasts on me all day with no problem. Bottle is easy to hold and is different from my others.

I like this, NOT love it. It is a mature scent, notice, I didn't say an old lady scent, that is powdery(A LOT, to me, anyway!), a bit strong and harsh in its opening. It is a warm, spicy, oriental-floral. I get a bit of an ambery incense, as well. It seems as if I hear a lot of, "All Avon perfumes smell alike." Well, NOT so with Timeless! It is different from others in Avon's lineup, as is Candid and Odyssey. I seem to prefer Avon's "oldies" to their newer offerings. From a catalog, it says it has notes of fresh greens, sheer florals, jasmine, patchouli, vetiver,
amber(ah, so it is in there!), oakmoss, musk. A unique offering from Avon. Prefer it on the drydown.

on 2/24/2011 11:32:00 PM

I just didn't like this scent, I found it musty, strong and it gave me a headache

on 2/22/2011 1:33:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I started wearing Timeless in high school and all through college. I always got compliments and one male friend of mine would request that I wear it if we were going to the same social function. For whatever reason, I moved on and have tried so many over the years. I recently stumbled across a brand new, in the box bottle at a thrift store for fifty cents and I've worn it everyday since. I get so many compliments everyday from both men and women. I forgot how much I like it. It's definitely one of my favs.

I have been wanting to re-write my review of this fragrance for a long time. I based my first review on a single test of this fragrance, and although my first impression was positive, now that I own the fragrance and have used it more...well, I just feel I have more to say about it.

I've been reading all other reviews for this perfume, I agree with the reviewers who say it's not for everyone, it's a "personal taste" fragrance. I can't list notes, as my nose simply lacks the training for that, but I do know this fragrance is classified as a chypre. I just recently became interested in chypre fragrances, so please excuse my lack of knowledge about them.

There are chypres and chypres. There is Aromatics Elixir, which is beautiful, but maybe a bit too "rich old lady driving her Mercedes" as my sister would say. AE is also very stong and potent, so, yeah, it's one of those fragrances that upsets people. Then there's Paloma Picasso, which is the fragrance equivalent to pointy black stilettos and sexy lingerie. Then there's Miss Dior, which is all pretty pearls and bows. Miss Dior is the type of chypre I like, pretty creamy florals and some mossy woods. Miss Dior is pure beauty, but I find the top notes are sometimes a bit to sharp for my chemistry.

Timeless reminds me of Miss Dior. Timeless is pretty, creamy florals and mossy woods. It also has a hint of spices and smoke, but nothing over the top.Timeless is lighter, softer and more mellow than Miss Dior. This is a very wearable, pretty chypre, for starters, like myself, or for anyone that likes their chypres on the floral side.

Timeless brings to my mind images of Catherine Deneuve back in the 60's, when she wore her pretty, pretty YSL dresses, black Roger Vivier shoes and wore her hair half up. This fragrance is that kind of pretty. Some may call it old fashioned. But I call it Timeless.

on 1/16/2010 11:35:00 AM

I like many Avon fragrances, so I thought I'de try this. YUK! I know fragrance is very personal, but this does not smell good at all.

Popular Fragrances