Avon Timeless Spray Cologne

Avon Timeless Spray Cologne

3.7

on 8/19/2014 3:20:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I wore only Avon fragrances for a long time and lately I have branched out into more expensive perfumes. After purging most of my Avon scents I kept a few that I think are truly special for they have good sillage and longevity: Rare Gold, Rare Pearls, Night Magic Evening Musk, Far Away and Timeless with the latter being my favorite of the five. Timeless is such a classic and smells really expensive but isn't. It's a lovely mix of amber, leather, woods and musk that wears all day. Avon got rid of this once and so many people were angry that they brought it back again and have kept it.....anyone who orders from Avon knows how they are constantly discontinuing things. This came out in 1974 and has stood the test of time. I can't say enough about this fragrance and it will always be in my collection.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Timeless is an incredible scent for the few dollars it costs. There is a current version available through Avon's catalogs and vintages are available. There are discernable differences between the two that should be noted.
While the vintage Timeless plays the aldehydes strongly, the newer version is a creamier mix of honeyed vanilla that hits right away. The honeyed vanilla mix takes time in the vintage to arrive, but the wait is well worth it. The vintage version lasts much, much longer, is deeper in tone and reminiscent of Shalimar. Gardenia brings greenness, iris brings a rich earthiness, while jasmine carries this scent strongly to wonderful heights. There are so many notes in this perfume that mix together wonderfully to make it a blend that is pleasantly aromatic, elegant and one that belies its' own price tag.
Timeless is a perfume that could be worn anywhere-to dinner, to an event, to a gallery or with jeans. It is a perfume that wears the person, the person doesn't wear it. It is a mature fragrance, one that reminds you of notes found in many other remembered classics, like Shalimar or Emeraude or one of the Chanels. Its' rich warmth is its' own elegance.
This is a fragrance that is wearable year-round and since Avon offers shower gels, body creams and deodorants at a ridiculously low price, you can pamper yourself with a complete set.
Timeless wraps itself around you with a graceful quality reminiscent of older perfumes. You can wrap yourself in its luxuriousness easily just as you would an over-sized cable-knit sweater or a tuxedo jacket. It just fits quality, whatever you're wearing, whatever you're doing. It ripens into a mature scent that fully explores its many faceted notes as the hours go by. For its price, it absolutely cannot be beat. It fools many when they attempt to guess what perfume it is that you're wearing, and there is a reason why. The tonka bean, the opoponax, the vanilla, the patchouli and the amber are all similar ingredients to a few heavyweights in the classic perfume market and Timeless incorporates them excellently.
Vintage Timeless takes longer to develop on your skin, works longer to develop through its notes and stages and is more full-bodied. With today's version of Timeless, its end is its beginning. It packs a punch, yes, but you miss the soapy aldehydes in the beginning. The older bottle is amber glass, silverish-gold cap, cognac-colored liquid splash and 2 oz. The new is in a clear spray bottle with a rose hued cap, a light golden liquid and 1.7 oz. Longevity is about four hours for the new and much longer for the vintage.
Both versions are wonderful. The choice to make is whether you want to explore a more vintage feel for aldehydes and a soapy feel, a journey through a perfumes character when you choose the older version or if you'd rather go for the gusto with the newest version which gives you the immediate sense of scent. There is no wait, you arrive at your final destination immediately. Either way, Timeless should be a perfume every woman should try.
Top Notes: Aldehydes, Gardenia, Peach, Bergamot, Lemon.
Middle Notes: Iris, Patchouli, Jasmine, Cedar, Rose.
Base Notes: Tonka Bean, Amber, Opoponax, Musk, Vanilla.

on 9/4/2013 3:27:00 PM

This fragrance is stunningly beautiful. It IS Timeless...vintage and classically beautiful. This fragrance is a warm rich amber-like fragrance with hints of powder, spice and soft vanilla. It is a sophisticated sultry fragrance. I cannot believe that this is Avon and priced like it is.......it smells so expensive. I don't ever want to be without this fragrance and all the products that are made...i.e., powder, lotion, deodorant and fragrance.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

I ordered Timelesss due to the raves on the fragrance board and seeing a special on it for $10. I was pleasently suprised by this fragrance. It's sweet and comforting. Smells a lot like the original Miss Dior befor it was reformulated. It smells classic, yet it's not dated. It's a gem for the price ! The packaging is old school as well and I like that, It's simple, doesn't need bling or fancy designs to say "buy me" just to be disappointed in the juice. I hope Avon keeps this one around but I will order a couple more just in case they don't.

on 5/3/2012 1:00:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Gorgeous, soft, classic and elegant. Shockingly affordable and long lasting. Distinctive but not loud. Timeless is a wonderful fragrance. It's easy to wear in the office because it's not too strong and it's got a wonderful classic feel to it. If you're considering this but not ready to go with a full bottle yet, Avon also has the Timeless fragrance in a body powder.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I like Timeless, I do...but only after it dries down and settles. When I first spray it I feel like I've been run down by a group of ladies on the way to Bingo! It's incredibly strong for the first several minutes...then once it dries down, it's lovely. It's a warm sensual smell that begs to be cuddled. Even my husband will snuggle up and take a deep sniff and say "Ooh you smell nice." And he never notices anything!

UPDATE: I find I grab for this more than just about anything on my vanity. Reason? Everytime I wear it, someone, somewhere says, "Ooh that's nice? Is that Shalimar?" So for under $10, I smell like $80...not bad. It must work well with my chemistry because I've never gotten a complaint and in my office, trust me, the ladies tell you if they don't like your fragrance! LOL! I gave it an extra lippie because I'm using it so often!

I have been wanting to re-write my review of this fragrance for a long time. I based my first review on a single test of this fragrance, and although my first impression was positive, now that I own the fragrance and have used it more...well, I just feel I have more to say about it.

I've been reading all other reviews for this perfume, I agree with the reviewers who say it's not for everyone, it's a "personal taste" fragrance. I can't list notes, as my nose simply lacks the training for that, but I do know this fragrance is classified as a chypre. I just recently became interested in chypre fragrances, so please excuse my lack of knowledge about them.

There are chypres and chypres. There is Aromatics Elixir, which is beautiful, but maybe a bit too "rich old lady driving her Mercedes" as my sister would say. AE is also very stong and potent, so, yeah, it's one of those fragrances that upsets people. Then there's Paloma Picasso, which is the fragrance equivalent to pointy black stilettos and sexy lingerie. Then there's Miss Dior, which is all pretty pearls and bows. Miss Dior is the type of chypre I like, pretty creamy florals and some mossy woods. Miss Dior is pure beauty, but I find the top notes are sometimes a bit to sharp for my chemistry.

Timeless reminds me of Miss Dior. Timeless is pretty, creamy florals and mossy woods. It also has a hint of spices and smoke, but nothing over the top.Timeless is lighter, softer and more mellow than Miss Dior. This is a very wearable, pretty chypre, for starters, like myself, or for anyone that likes their chypres on the floral side.

Timeless brings to my mind images of Catherine Deneuve back in the 60's, when she wore her pretty, pretty YSL dresses, black Roger Vivier shoes and wore her hair half up. This fragrance is that kind of pretty. Some may call it old fashioned. But I call it Timeless.

on 1/25/2010 11:53:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

The other reviewers are right, this is definitely one of those "personal taste" perfumes. I believe Timeless has a vintage, classic scent. It smells like several expensive indie perfumer "vintage inspired" perfumes I own, which I LOVE. It is not for everyone. But, if you love that somewhat spicy, chypre, vintage attitude, with a little smoke, I think this smells amazing. I bought a single bottle for $6.99 and a 5-piece set for $9.99! In my opinion, it does not smell the least bit cheap. I will buy this again and again for the warm, cozy drydown and luxurious feel. It is a favorite - even though I also like soft florals, it is not too heavy for me. Lasted all day. Totally worth trying, for the price!

on 8/24/2009 5:44:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

I would recommend this fragrance. I cant seam to buy enough of this product. The scent is soft and not overpowering like the so called new perfumes that are over powering and soapy smelling.

on 6/11/2008 9:17:00 AM

This is one of Avon's most beautiful scents.I always get compliments when I wear it.I would describe it as a warm oriental floral.It almost smells like an incense floral.I highly recommend trying it.Young and older alike will love it.

Popular Fragrances