Avon Timeless Spray Cologne

Avon Timeless Spray Cologne

3.7

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

On me, it's a no go. I'm not surprised to be writing this review, since blind buys based on glowing reviews have a 10% success rate in my experience. I fell for all the reviews that said this smells expensive. Unfortunately, I find it smells like $6. And I do think "dated" describes it much better than "classic." But if you're a Shalimar fan, this might be good. I have never had a positive reaction to anything lumped in that category: No. 5, Toujours Moi, Tabu, Youth Dew, etc. I will be steering clear of anything described that way, and anything else from Avon. It was worth a try for $6 though. And it is probably fantastic on the people who love it!

on 2/24/2011 11:32:00 PM

I just didn't like this scent, I found it musty, strong and it gave me a headache

on 1/16/2010 11:35:00 AM

I like many Avon fragrances, so I thought I'de try this. YUK! I know fragrance is very personal, but this does not smell good at all.

on 8/22/2009 6:39:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This perfume is totally awful. I mean really bad and it takes alot for me to say this. I'm sorry avon but ...

on 4/9/2009 1:34:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

reeeks!!! this smells like a very old lady perfume. Avon should be banned selling from this fragrance.

on 11/17/2007 1:58:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Relaxed, Fine

This is a 'been around for a long time' AVON perfume.
Thankfully, in the past few years AVON stepped out of the scents that were telltale that it was AVON.
At any rate, I do not like this b/c it is a 'typical' old-fashioned AVON perfume.
It doesn't even deserve a lippie. AVON should just do away with it and chalk it up as 'lesson learned'.

on 12/13/2016 11:31:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Not for me, sorry - too spicy and evocative of another (older) era. Too "old lady" for me. Amber, musk?? Something too animal-based for me.

on 12/31/2006 12:48:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

I made the mistake of getting this EVEN after buying the deodorant that i HATE..i thought this seemed to be a popular scent and it got pretty good reviews on MUA..it smells AWFUL to me..like an old grandmother who wore too much of her husband's cologne..i know that's harsh but it's what it is..it was UNBEARABLE..for younger girls like me..STAY AWAY

on 1/5/2015 8:16:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Timeless is a fragrance for fans of historic vintage scent. My bottle of timeless is an older version of a dab fragrance, not the newer spray depicted above. I dislike spray application intensely as it releases too much fragrance and amplifies the powdery aspects (IMO). I don't recommend this fragrance if you spray it; it will amplify the brash, in your face, powdery qualities.

Agree with the reviews of SorceressOfTheDark and ColorfulMe below. Timeless opens in a straightforward way that comes across as a classic abstract aldehydic floral with an oriental dry down. I don't think it's like chanel 5 vintage (which I am not a fan of because of the high concentration of civet in chanel). But, neither timeless nor chanel smell like a specific flower or realistic floral blend in contrast to the more modern realistic classic aldehydic florals like EL Beautiful or Amouage Dia.

Within a few minutes, Timeless morphs into a sweet, almost oriental with a powder finish. I believe ColorfulMe described Timeless as a Balsamic oriental chypre. I have been focusing so much on green chypre, that I forgot about balsamic category. It's warmer, more oriental, and less funky than vintage Miss Dior (black and white houndstooth bottle of EdC). And, to me less oriental amber than Shalimar, but more opoponax powder. Perhaps it's analog could be LHB which I find more throat scratchingly powder than Timeless. ( Timeless does lack the anise note of LHB). Another analog could be a Caron vintage Nuit de Noel, but I think Avon's To a Wild Rose (mainly wood with a rose undertone and a bit darker) is a bit closer to NdN. I don't think of Timeless as predominantly a chypre (whereas I think of vintage Miss Dior as definitely a chypre), but perhaps that is a subjective matter where chypre and oriental might intersect.

Timeless is not a fragrance that gives the impression of darkness or complexity (what others might call murkiness) , but rather than saying it's simple in composition (it's classic composition isn't actually all that simple), one could regard it as well blended with a clear point of view. Avon Occur could be it's funkier, animalic cousin.

I recommend buying older versions of avon, readily available on line. If possible, try to purchase full bottles that have been stored in their boxes for a possible safeguard against light deterioration. Sadly, many avon bottles were displayed in light for their kitschy, quirky charm, without regard to the preservation of content. The color of vintage Timeless should not be darkened but rather a pale to medium toned gold. I also don't liketo purchase vintage atomizer bottles (I have had bad luck with the purchase of a few vintage atomizer dior EdCs that were turned to acetone harshness but not dab or splash). If your bottle is fusty, musty, dark colored or smells rancid, then it probably was stored in light or heat. Since vintage avon is so inexpensive and readily available. I am reluctant to demote stars for this possibility.

For those who denigrate Avon as a cheap budget house or think that vintage Avon scents are 'old lady,' I would observe that vintage Avon fragrance contains more quality ingredients than many modern niche brands today, without IFRA or EU regulations or the high costs of advertising budgets. I would also observe that many of the super high priced modern perfume houses, ie, Roja Dove (Nuwa and Fetish), seem similar in reference points to mid century fragrances such as EL Aliage, Azuree and others.

By the way, I am NOT a fan of modern avon fragrance (I loath and abhor Avon extraordinary, a release from 2005 that mixes chocolate, champagne and another foody note with throat scratching, parching, sneeze worthy powder finish) so if you are a fan, our tastes may diverge.

I like this, NOT love it. It is a mature scent, notice, I didn't say an old lady scent, that is powdery(A LOT, to me, anyway!), a bit strong and harsh in its opening. It is a warm, spicy, oriental-floral. I get a bit of an ambery incense, as well. It seems as if I hear a lot of, "All Avon perfumes smell alike." Well, NOT so with Timeless! It is different from others in Avon's lineup, as is Candid and Odyssey. I seem to prefer Avon's "oldies" to their newer offerings. From a catalog, it says it has notes of fresh greens, sheer florals, jasmine, patchouli, vetiver,
amber(ah, so it is in there!), oakmoss, musk. A unique offering from Avon. Prefer it on the drydown.

Popular Fragrances