Avon Timeless Spray Cologne

Avon Timeless Spray Cologne

3.7

I have been wanting to re-write my review of this fragrance for a long time. I based my first review on a single test of this fragrance, and although my first impression was positive, now that I own the fragrance and have used it more...well, I just feel I have more to say about it.

I've been reading all other reviews for this perfume, I agree with the reviewers who say it's not for everyone, it's a "personal taste" fragrance. I can't list notes, as my nose simply lacks the training for that, but I do know this fragrance is classified as a chypre. I just recently became interested in chypre fragrances, so please excuse my lack of knowledge about them.

There are chypres and chypres. There is Aromatics Elixir, which is beautiful, but maybe a bit too "rich old lady driving her Mercedes" as my sister would say. AE is also very stong and potent, so, yeah, it's one of those fragrances that upsets people. Then there's Paloma Picasso, which is the fragrance equivalent to pointy black stilettos and sexy lingerie. Then there's Miss Dior, which is all pretty pearls and bows. Miss Dior is the type of chypre I like, pretty creamy florals and some mossy woods. Miss Dior is pure beauty, but I find the top notes are sometimes a bit to sharp for my chemistry.

Timeless reminds me of Miss Dior. Timeless is pretty, creamy florals and mossy woods. It also has a hint of spices and smoke, but nothing over the top.Timeless is lighter, softer and more mellow than Miss Dior. This is a very wearable, pretty chypre, for starters, like myself, or for anyone that likes their chypres on the floral side.

Timeless brings to my mind images of Catherine Deneuve back in the 60's, when she wore her pretty, pretty YSL dresses, black Roger Vivier shoes and wore her hair half up. This fragrance is that kind of pretty. Some may call it old fashioned. But I call it Timeless.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This and Sweet Honesty are my favourite Avon fragrances of all time. I love the bottle and I just added one to my Avon order because it was $8.99CAD! I took off one lippie just because sometimes it smells a little harsh. I love wearing Timeless to high end places. Someone always compliments me on my fragrance saying something like "is that Serge Lutens? It is a Lutens isn't it, I just know it." I can't tell you how funny it is when I tell them it's Timeless. The look of shock, the grimace, and then they move away from me. LOL!

I have not knowingly smelled this in years. And then, I'm at work the other day and there is a nurse there smelling delightfully of a vague, classy oriental scent that is intrigueing but not too heavy. So I asked her what it was and she replied that it was Timeless by Avon. I just loved this scent on her. But I never would have guessed what it was. By the way, this nurse is just gorgeous and has a wonderful sense of style. I thought she was probably wearing some obscure designer oriental scent. I was just floored.
I haven't tried this scent in years but I don't recall it having the wonderful chemistry with my skin as it does hers.
Anyway, I have to give this classic scent 4 lippies for smelling so good on her.

on 1/5/2015 8:16:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Timeless is a fragrance for fans of historic vintage scent. My bottle of timeless is an older version of a dab fragrance, not the newer spray depicted above. I dislike spray application intensely as it releases too much fragrance and amplifies the powdery aspects (IMO). I don't recommend this fragrance if you spray it; it will amplify the brash, in your face, powdery qualities.

Agree with the reviews of SorceressOfTheDark and ColorfulMe below. Timeless opens in a straightforward way that comes across as a classic abstract aldehydic floral with an oriental dry down. I don't think it's like chanel 5 vintage (which I am not a fan of because of the high concentration of civet in chanel). But, neither timeless nor chanel smell like a specific flower or realistic floral blend in contrast to the more modern realistic classic aldehydic florals like EL Beautiful or Amouage Dia.

Within a few minutes, Timeless morphs into a sweet, almost oriental with a powder finish. I believe ColorfulMe described Timeless as a Balsamic oriental chypre. I have been focusing so much on green chypre, that I forgot about balsamic category. It's warmer, more oriental, and less funky than vintage Miss Dior (black and white houndstooth bottle of EdC). And, to me less oriental amber than Shalimar, but more opoponax powder. Perhaps it's analog could be LHB which I find more throat scratchingly powder than Timeless. ( Timeless does lack the anise note of LHB). Another analog could be a Caron vintage Nuit de Noel, but I think Avon's To a Wild Rose (mainly wood with a rose undertone and a bit darker) is a bit closer to NdN. I don't think of Timeless as predominantly a chypre (whereas I think of vintage Miss Dior as definitely a chypre), but perhaps that is a subjective matter where chypre and oriental might intersect.

Timeless is not a fragrance that gives the impression of darkness or complexity (what others might call murkiness) , but rather than saying it's simple in composition (it's classic composition isn't actually all that simple), one could regard it as well blended with a clear point of view. Avon Occur could be it's funkier, animalic cousin.

I recommend buying older versions of avon, readily available on line. If possible, try to purchase full bottles that have been stored in their boxes for a possible safeguard against light deterioration. Sadly, many avon bottles were displayed in light for their kitschy, quirky charm, without regard to the preservation of content. The color of vintage Timeless should not be darkened but rather a pale to medium toned gold. I also don't liketo purchase vintage atomizer bottles (I have had bad luck with the purchase of a few vintage atomizer dior EdCs that were turned to acetone harshness but not dab or splash). If your bottle is fusty, musty, dark colored or smells rancid, then it probably was stored in light or heat. Since vintage avon is so inexpensive and readily available. I am reluctant to demote stars for this possibility.

For those who denigrate Avon as a cheap budget house or think that vintage Avon scents are 'old lady,' I would observe that vintage Avon fragrance contains more quality ingredients than many modern niche brands today, without IFRA or EU regulations or the high costs of advertising budgets. I would also observe that many of the super high priced modern perfume houses, ie, Roja Dove (Nuwa and Fetish), seem similar in reference points to mid century fragrances such as EL Aliage, Azuree and others.

By the way, I am NOT a fan of modern avon fragrance (I loath and abhor Avon extraordinary, a release from 2005 that mixes chocolate, champagne and another foody note with throat scratching, parching, sneeze worthy powder finish) so if you are a fan, our tastes may diverge.

on 1/25/2010 11:53:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

The other reviewers are right, this is definitely one of those "personal taste" perfumes. I believe Timeless has a vintage, classic scent. It smells like several expensive indie perfumer "vintage inspired" perfumes I own, which I LOVE. It is not for everyone. But, if you love that somewhat spicy, chypre, vintage attitude, with a little smoke, I think this smells amazing. I bought a single bottle for $6.99 and a 5-piece set for $9.99! In my opinion, it does not smell the least bit cheap. I will buy this again and again for the warm, cozy drydown and luxurious feel. It is a favorite - even though I also like soft florals, it is not too heavy for me. Lasted all day. Totally worth trying, for the price!

on 6/27/2012 1:55:00 AM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

The Timeless I am reviewing is from a vintage bottle. I bought a small cute Avon bottle at Goodwill, thinking I would dump the contents and use it to hold rosewater on my bathroom rack. But I tried a dab of it on my wrist first, and I thanked my lucky stars I hadn't poured away this treasure that only cost me 99 cents!

Chanel no. 19, my favorite scent, came out in 1972 and Timeless only a few years later IIRC. I expect chypres were in at the time due to no. 19, and the two scents definitely share a mossy, leathery kinship. Where No 19 tops the darker, leathery notes with white rose and crisp greens, Timeless goes in a richer more Oriental direction with amber, vanilla, resinous incense and warm musk.

My bottle of Timeless is clearly the worse for age, and no wonder because it's been exposed to light for who knows how many years. It has an obvious initial smell of staleness and damaged topnotes. But it's still worth wearing, because in 20 minutes the heart ad basenotes really take over and all its lovely complexity comes to the fore. Real oakmoss, yum.

on 4/12/2007 9:00:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

A very underrated scent (though it's current overall rating here [4] is surprisingly high!). Very unusual, quality scent for the price. I always see it listed as a chypre, but it doesn't seem one to my nose...and it contains no moss (generally considered one of the primary chypre notes). I'd classify it as an oriental...it's resinous, woody, and a touch gourmand. It would rate a 5 if it weren't a bit more powdery than I would like. I always think I smell chocolate in it, though it's not in the note list, which is: Aldehyde, Lemon, Bergamot, Gardenia, Cedar, Patchouli, Rose, Orris, Frankincense, Opopanax, Amber, Musk, Vanilla, Tonka Bean.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I like Timeless, I do...but only after it dries down and settles. When I first spray it I feel like I've been run down by a group of ladies on the way to Bingo! It's incredibly strong for the first several minutes...then once it dries down, it's lovely. It's a warm sensual smell that begs to be cuddled. Even my husband will snuggle up and take a deep sniff and say "Ooh you smell nice." And he never notices anything!

UPDATE: I find I grab for this more than just about anything on my vanity. Reason? Everytime I wear it, someone, somewhere says, "Ooh that's nice? Is that Shalimar?" So for under $10, I smell like $80...not bad. It must work well with my chemistry because I've never gotten a complaint and in my office, trust me, the ladies tell you if they don't like your fragrance! LOL! I gave it an extra lippie because I'm using it so often!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

To me, this smells more like Obsession without the skank, than Shalimar. I really enjoy the leathery woody scent of this.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

I ordered Timelesss due to the raves on the fragrance board and seeing a special on it for $10. I was pleasently suprised by this fragrance. It's sweet and comforting. Smells a lot like the original Miss Dior befor it was reformulated. It smells classic, yet it's not dated. It's a gem for the price ! The packaging is old school as well and I like that, It's simple, doesn't need bling or fancy designs to say "buy me" just to be disappointed in the juice. I hope Avon keeps this one around but I will order a couple more just in case they don't.

Popular Fragrances