Avon Timeless Spray Cologne

Price: $

Price: $

on 12/13/2016 11:31:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Not for me, sorry - too spicy and evocative of another (older) era. Too "old lady" for me. Amber, musk?? Something too animal-based for me.

on 3/31/2016 12:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I first loved this when I was in high school! It wasn't so much one I wore but I probably borrowed it from my mom or one of my sisters. I bought it occasionally through the years and have had the same bottle stored in my "perfume stash" for a long time.
I've been wearing it so much lately that I am probably going to have to purchase a new bottle soon. This same bottle I've been using has lasted me literally years! It's funny how you can come to appreciate something after so long.
I do love the powdery dry down of this and many fragrances. I am a powder-ho when it comes to scent. I love the rich resinous smell of Timeless around the sprayer but when I first apply it that only lasts a brief few moments. I keep sniffing the sprayer to get that full bodied aroma. For me the payoff of Timeless is after wearing it all day and then even this morning as I type this review I can smell the warm snuggly softness of it.
I have the body cream in the jar and the talc also. It a very pretty scent if you like powdery or oriental type fragrances. I love Shalimar and own it in EDT. I like wearing it but I don't consider Timeless and Shalimar to be reminiscent of the same scent. Both are beautiful in their own right.

on 1/5/2015 8:16:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Timeless is a fragrance for fans of historic vintage scent. My bottle of timeless is an older version of a dab fragrance, not the newer spray depicted above. I dislike spray application intensely as it releases too much fragrance and amplifies the powdery aspects (IMO). I don't recommend this fragrance if you spray it; it will amplify the brash, in your face, powdery qualities.

Agree with the reviews of SorceressOfTheDark and ColorfulMe below. Timeless opens in a straightforward way that comes across as a classic abstract aldehydic floral with an oriental dry down. I don't think it's like chanel 5 vintage (which I am not a fan of because of the high concentration of civet in chanel). But, neither timeless nor chanel smell like a specific flower or realistic floral blend in contrast to the more modern realistic classic aldehydic florals like EL Beautiful or Amouage Dia.

Within a few minutes, Timeless morphs into a sweet, almost oriental with a powder finish. I believe ColorfulMe described Timeless as a Balsamic oriental chypre. I have been focusing so much on green chypre, that I forgot about balsamic category. It's warmer, more oriental, and less funky than vintage Miss Dior (black and white houndstooth bottle of EdC). And, to me less oriental amber than Shalimar, but more opoponax powder. Perhaps it's analog could be LHB which I find more throat scratchingly powder than Timeless. ( Timeless does lack the anise note of LHB). Another analog could be a Caron vintage Nuit de Noel, but I think Avon's To a Wild Rose (mainly wood with a rose undertone and a bit darker) is a bit closer to NdN. I don't think of Timeless as predominantly a chypre (whereas I think of vintage Miss Dior as definitely a chypre), but perhaps that is a subjective matter where chypre and oriental might intersect.

Timeless is not a fragrance that gives the impression of darkness or complexity (what others might call murkiness) , but rather than saying it's simple in composition (it's classic composition isn't actually all that simple), one could regard it as well blended with a clear point of view. Avon Occur could be it's funkier, animalic cousin.

I recommend buying older versions of avon, readily available on line. If possible, try to purchase full bottles that have been stored in their boxes for a possible safeguard against light deterioration. Sadly, many avon bottles were displayed in light for their kitschy, quirky charm, without regard to the preservation of content. The color of vintage Timeless should not be darkened but rather a pale to medium toned gold. I also don't liketo purchase vintage atomizer bottles (I have had bad luck with the purchase of a few vintage atomizer dior EdCs that were turned to acetone harshness but not dab or splash). If your bottle is fusty, musty, dark colored or smells rancid, then it probably was stored in light or heat. Since vintage avon is so inexpensive and readily available. I am reluctant to demote stars for this possibility.

For those who denigrate Avon as a cheap budget house or think that vintage Avon scents are 'old lady,' I would observe that vintage Avon fragrance contains more quality ingredients than many modern niche brands today, without IFRA or EU regulations or the high costs of advertising budgets. I would also observe that many of the super high priced modern perfume houses, ie, Roja Dove (Nuwa and Fetish), seem similar in reference points to mid century fragrances such as EL Aliage, Azuree and others.

By the way, I am NOT a fan of modern avon fragrance (I loath and abhor Avon extraordinary, a release from 2005 that mixes chocolate, champagne and another foody note with throat scratching, parching, sneeze worthy powder finish) so if you are a fan, our tastes may diverge.

on 9/4/2013 3:27:00 PM

This fragrance is stunningly beautiful. It IS Timeless...vintage and classically beautiful. This fragrance is a warm rich amber-like fragrance with hints of powder, spice and soft vanilla. It is a sophisticated sultry fragrance. I cannot believe that this is Avon and priced like it is.......it smells so expensive. I don't ever want to be without this fragrance and all the products that are made...i.e., powder, lotion, deodorant and fragrance.

on 12/17/2011 10:01:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

A classic, leather-chypre, rather nice and warm in the old style. It's a bit masculine, but the warm leather is cozy and it's a wonderful almost skin scent once it dries down from the initial blasting onset of LOUD. This one actually does deserve to be timeless. Very nice. Definitely won't appeal to the fruityfloral crowd.

I've used this off and on for many years. I've started using again and am back in love. It is so soft and romantic. I enjoy powdery scents and this is one. Wish they still made the shower gel to go with. I do like the softener as well. This lasts on me all day with no problem. Bottle is easy to hold and is different from my others.

on 2/22/2011 1:33:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I started wearing Timeless in high school and all through college. I always got compliments and one male friend of mine would request that I wear it if we were going to the same social function. For whatever reason, I moved on and have tried so many over the years. I recently stumbled across a brand new, in the box bottle at a thrift store for fifty cents and I've worn it everyday since. I get so many compliments everyday from both men and women. I forgot how much I like it. It's definitely one of my favs.

I have not knowingly smelled this in years. And then, I'm at work the other day and there is a nurse there smelling delightfully of a vague, classy oriental scent that is intrigueing but not too heavy. So I asked her what it was and she replied that it was Timeless by Avon. I just loved this scent on her. But I never would have guessed what it was. By the way, this nurse is just gorgeous and has a wonderful sense of style. I thought she was probably wearing some obscure designer oriental scent. I was just floored.
I haven't tried this scent in years but I don't recall it having the wonderful chemistry with my skin as it does hers.
Anyway, I have to give this classic scent 4 lippies for smelling so good on her.

on 1/16/2010 11:35:00 AM

I like many Avon fragrances, so I thought I'de try this. YUK! I know fragrance is very personal, but this does not smell good at all.

on 8/24/2009 5:44:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

I would recommend this fragrance. I cant seam to buy enough of this product. The scent is soft and not overpowering like the so called new perfumes that are over powering and soapy smelling.

Popular Fragrances