Smashbox Smashing Cream Eye Liner - Lava

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
Smashbox Smashing Cream Eye Liner - Lava

4.5

Isopropyl Palmitate, Phenyl Trimethicone, Capric/Caprylic Stearic Triglyceride, Euphorbia Cerifera Wax (Candelilla), Talc, Nylon 12, Silica, Kaolin (CI 77004), Microcrystalline Wax, Ricinus Communis Seed Oil (Castor), Tocopheryl Acetate, Dimethicone, BHT, Vegetable Oil, Propylparaben, May Contain (+/-): Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090) (CI 42090), Carmine (CI 75470) (CI 75470), Ferric Ferrocyanide (CI 77510)

on 2/6/2012 11:35:00 PM

I used to be an exclusively eyeliner pencil girl. All other forms of liner just scared me. I eventually ventured out into liquid liners and ended up loving them once I got the hang of them. So recently I decided to broaden my horizons and try out some cream eyeliners. I don't know why, but I ended up going for some Smashbox cream liners in particular. Some of them I ended up really liking, but unfortunately Lava is not one of them.
Lava looks like an amazing color. It's a beautiful slate blue-grey, with a little bit of a metallic sheen to it. The color is great and really makes my eyes pop. But the formula, on the other hand, is not so great.
When first applied, this is a little more sheer than the color in the pan. It's more of a light grey, and you can't really see much of the blue. So, as with most makeup products, I went to apply a second layer to build the color. But this eyeliner is so creamy that it takes a very long time to dry, making applying a second coat of this a streaky mess. The new layer of liner just smudged off the first layer. You have to wait a good 5-10 minutes (literally) to apply another layer of this, and who has time to do that in the morning? Then, once you do have enough of this liner on to get the full effect of the color, the liner starts fading very quickly. I use Lorac's eye primer which makes virtually any product stay put on my eyes, but after 4 hours, Lava had faded considerably. Some may think 4 hours of wear isn't so bad, but I have classes all morning and afternoon and then I work in the evening and one thing I hate is products that don't last all day. I reapplied this after 5-6 hours, and the color pretty much stayed put the rest of the day. But still, I have drugstore liners that last much longer than this. I've worn this over eyeshadows, and it does last a little bit longer that way. But this color is so pretty that I often want to wear it on its own, but it just doesn't work out that way.
One more thing -- don't even bother trying this on your lower lashline. It smeared all day long and it was not pretty.
I'm really disappointed in Lava. The 3 lippies I gave this are based on color alone, because this really is a gorgeous shade. Unfortunately, it just doesn't meet my standards.

on 8/8/2010 3:25:00 PM

Best thing to ever happen to my blue eyes. Its a metallic blue-gray, goes on super-smooth and doesn't go anywhere. It is a great way to do dramatic makeup for light eyes because sometimes black can be too much.

I love Smashbox cream eyeliners. I use a retractable lipbrush to apply them, and the colors stay put for hours. They are just light enough with one swipe to brighten but not over power. Add another swipe or 2 for drama. I particularly like the shimmering grey-blue called Lava

on 12/10/2007 6:06:00 PM

I loove this color. It isn't too dark for fair/light skin people. In my opinion it is better than caviar,