Ouidad Climate Control Gel

Climate Control Gel

3.7

on 1/8/2017 10:42:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My hair is wavy and since I air dry/avoid heat like the plague, my best natural look is to work my waves & the spiral curls I get underneath. I'd been using Redken Curvaceous Full Swirl with good results, and I give that one five stars as well. This one is stickier on application than Redken and requires more product, but it lasts days longer. I refresh it with Pureology Color Fanatic 21 Essential Benefits leave- conditioner or Joico Kpak Liquid Reconstructor sprays.

Climate Control Heat & Humidity gel also plays well with leave-in conditioning creams the morning after, but not for more than one day. After that, curls are pretty stiff. It can be brushed out (I use a boar bristle brush) for softness, but this removes a lot of shine and leads to breakage, so tread carefully. I usually add Living Proof's Nourishing Oil (five star recommendation) everyday, but by the 3rd day washing & starting over is a must.

The price is not bad, and I bought a liter while it was on sale and came with a free gift. The lovely woman on here shows the true results of this product, and how can you argue with how good her curls look? The gel brought my waves to an even display of waves with spiral curl underneath that held their shape for three days with easy revival.

This gel was pretty good for me. I have very thin hair that becomes frizzy if there is even the smallest amount of humidity in the air. This product seemed to smooth my hair out nicely. The gel was really thin which is nice because it spread thru the hair easily. I don't think this is a miracle product though. My hair was still a little frizzy and there wasn't any "DAMNNNN" reaction whenever I used it. I would repurchase but hope to find something cheaper that is equally as good.

on 6/7/2016 6:07:00 AM

Isn't it interesting how differently products work for different people? I have been using a travel size bottle of this gel together with other Ouidad products, including the Tress effects gel. My experience seems to be the opposite of most peoples: this gel does not work for me. I have tried washing my hair exactly the same way and using Ouidad Moisture Lock leave-in and Vital Curl define & shine (which I do not think actually does anything), followed by gel. I get great definition and almost zero frizz using Tress effects, but with Climate control it is the opposite. This gel actually seemed to flatten my curls instead of encouraging them. I was really surprised; maybe the difference is due to climate, who knows - but at least I tried. Needless to say, I will not be buying this product again but happy it works well for other people. (My hair: fine, cut in a bob, wavy-curly depending on styling method and products used.)

on 5/22/2016 5:03:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

This gel is my HG. Thin in consistency so it's easy to work through hair without disturbing the curl pattern. It leaves my curls shiny, defined and frizz free. Adding too much will weigh my hair down and take out some volume. I like volume so I add a moderate amount and lightly scrunch to take out the crunch after it's dry. Frizz free curls in Florida and North Carolina!

I don't use the Ouidad rake and shake technique, I just scrunch with a microfiber towel after adding gel.

on 8/6/2015 6:51:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I wanted to like this sooo bad. But it didn't work well for me...great for my friend, not me. I have very fine curly hair. The Climate Control gel left my hair feeling slightly crisp and parched, not crunchy, crisp and parched. It took the pliability out of my hair a bit. Also it gave me absolutely no help at the crown (no lift or frizz control). Perhaps it did help a tiny bit with humidity? But I still had tons of that halo frizz and my hair turns out better when I use my Deva Styling Cream alone. I used the Ouidad EVERY WAY IMAGINEABLe (with the cream, by itself, before the cream, after the cream, with other products etc). It just wasn't helping me and felt like a useless & expensive layer of hair product I didn't need.

Now, my friend has very, very thick wavy hair. She loves this stuff because it deflates her massive amount of hair a bit and allows her to air dry without her hair being 3 feet wide. And her hair being more coarse is never as soft feeling as my fine strands (not that it feels bad, but mine is almost too soft naturally), so when she used the gel, she doesn't notice any difference in the feel.

HTH

on 7/25/2015 10:42:00 AM

Makes my hair too crispy, especially if I use the amount suggested on the bottle. Seems to do a good job of fighting the humidity, though.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

It is a serum like gel in consistency, but it does a great job of encouraging my curls and fighting the frizz. It smells nice and does not feel heavy or greasy. I have the travel size but am definitely upgrading to the bigger bottle. Unfortunately this is pretty expensive at $28 but I think it is worth it. It is not drying and in fact makes my hair feel soft which is nice. I apply it to soaking wet hair and allow to air dry. You can rake it through and then scrunch for good curl definition. I think it works fine on its own but I don't see any problem with combining it with other products since it is so thin.

I cannot live without this product! I have been using it for about 12 years and will continue forever. I use it in conjunction with other products but this is my base. Don't be afraid to use quite a bit on each section of hair, I do section my hair as I have a TON! My curls stay fairly frizz free, I wash only about 2 times a week, my curls don't need more than that. This is a great product.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

ETA- Still loving this. Where i live is a blanket of humidity in the summer, but this keeps the frizzies and flyaways to a minimum. Love it. Original review: Definitely a fan. I live in what was once swampland, so summers here are brutal. I don't even bother with blowouts during the summer, because my hair will be curled again the second I hit that wall of humidity outside. I have tried every anti-frizz product there is, and my hair laughs in the face of all of them. Except for this one. Even when I was not using the Curly Girl method and was making every styling mistake for my hair type, this product calmed my hair down significantly. It would not beat down the frizz for the *entire* day. But even when a little came out at the end of the day, it was so much less than usual. Really impressive results, and it's even better when combined with plopping. I'm definitely a fan, and I expect this will be in heavy rotation at my house for the forseeable future. Ouidad frequently goes on sale at Hautelook, which is nice. But I would buy this product at the retail price, it is that good. (And I say that about VERY few products.)

on 6/23/2013 9:16:00 AM

I hate her prices, but can't live without Ouidad products. My fine wavy hair is never better than when I use them. You can get a travel size set to try them cheaper.

I use this set - Climate Control gel, Curl Quencher shampoo and conditioner, occasionally Botanical Boost Leave-in for curl support, Styling Mist hair spray and occasional Deep Treatment for shine. I also do ACV rinses twice a week and occasionally throw in Coconut Oil or Coconut Milk pre-shampoo treatments. When I henna my hair in tandem with these, the health, thickness and shine of my hair is even better.

Hope this helps.