L'Oreal Preference Mega Browns hair color

3.9

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Hi
I have used this product twice, I used cinnamon and mocha and the second time I used
mocha, cinnamon and brandy, I really like this combination. This product is very runny and messy.
It also has a strong smell

on 11/3/2015 10:40:00 AM

Hi! I registered with this site after stumbling thru the internet for more info about this product. When I saw many of you say that u experienced dryness, I wanted to tell to u about ION COLOR SOLUTIONS COLOR DEFENSE-AFTER COLOR SEALER. This is what I use. After rinsing the color out (until the water runs clear), DON'T wash it w/shampoo. Wring as much water out as you can. The more, the better. Apply ION. Don't be shy to use a generous amount. Work it thru all your hair rite down to your scalp. As ur work it in, u should notice the consistency changing. It actually feels like a mask for ur hair. Now leave it alone. I am usually in the shower rinsing my color since it's really too messy to do anywhere else. So I leave the ION on as I'm doing all the regular shower stuff. When u rinse this out your hair, even wet, should feel like silk. While I rinse the bulk of it out, I usually leave a bit of residue in. Doesn't hurt, rite? I also use a sulfate free, oil infused shampoo. By L'OREAL too-go figure. Called OLEO THERAPY. But DON'T wash ur hair this 1st time!
Many of you stated the color was messy and dripped. I use a cream developer and have never had this problem.

Sorry this review rambles. I hope this info helps and that these products work just as well for u as they do for me.

To Read all 27 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Mega Browns in Chocolate is my go to color. It is a level 4 brown but I use a level 20 developer and it pulls closer to a 3 in my hair. Chocolate has a gorgeous red undertone that really adds dimension to the shade. I always get very even results using the bowl and brush method, I never have any uneven patches. I've never had problems with my roots pulling a different color either. My hair always looks shiny and healthy after coloring, too. This shade isn't dull at all. It doesn't fade too fast either. I have thick mid-back length hair and I do need 2 entire bottles to fully saturate my hair but with most boxed dyes I need at least 2 or 3 so it's cheaper to just buy 2 bottles of color and a big bottle of developer. The one thing to mention is that it smells very harsh! It contains amonia and the stench while mixing is enough to make my eyes water, but this is true of most dyes. After finally finding this beautiful rich brown shade I'll never use a box dye again! And because I get such good results I doubt I'll be paying $150+ to get my hair colored in a salon anymore either.

on 3/26/2014 7:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have tried these in Chocolate which is a cool dark brown with red and Truffle, which is a cooler dark brown with more blue. They're both level 4 browns. I love them both but find Truffle looks better on me as a NW20.

I am pretty cool toned and have hazel eyes with naturally dark brown hair. This color just really gives me dimension and vibrancy. I have gotten more compliments on this color than any other color I have ever tried.

Its definitely salon quality; it lasts for over 4 weeks on me and covers my grays completely. I have never had such great color from another bottle brand. This did not pull purple on me at all. I have no idea what happened to other reviewers but it's never pulled anything weird. It just looks like a deep and rich chocolate color with less red than the chocolate one does.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I bought this in BR7 or chocolate; as noted on the bottle this definitely has violet/red bases to the color. I previously used Ion Brilliance Mochas in Medium/Light Golden Mahogany Brown, and my roots are naturally light brown/blonde so the color was going to be inconsistent no matter what developer I used. One issue I had with this formula is that it has the consistency of snot; it is extremely runny and strings like crazy! If I would've read the reviews I would've bought a bottle to deal with this issue but I managed to not create a huge mess (use lots of towels if you tend to drop dye easily). I have shoulder length hair and I used a total of 8 oz of product which left me with a lot unused dye, almost 4 oz. The color when first applied looks very orange, almost carrot-colored but once left for 25 minutes the color deepens and looks more like the swatch. The darker areas of my hair have a nice hint of red, and the roots look more like an intense auburn color. Overall I'm quite happy with the color, we'll see how it fades out.

I use the mega browns in "Chocolate". I have a cool skin tone. This color is RICH and absolutely beautiful! I have had so many compliments. I did it a week ago and today I went to Sally to purchase a reserve lol plus they are on sale right now $4.99.

The color has hints of red which is probably my favorite part about it. I used a 20 developer but 10 is way sufficient if you already have brown hair. If you are going from blonde to this, use a 20 instead. For long thick hair like me, buy 2 bottles of the mega brown chocolate because 1 isnt enough!

With this color you get the best of both worlds because of the reddish hue. I will buy this color until I find a next best thing. As far as hair texture after the dye, mine felt dry but after conditioning it for a week it came back to normal. Make sure you do have a deep conditioner and a leave in conditioning spray!

on 3/25/2013 11:32:00 AM

Add me to the people who tried truffle and ended up with purple hair (despite being fairly dark brown red before hand) and it fried my hair so bad, I ended up cutting it all off into a pixie cut. Now I need to dye it after it's faded even after the cut because it looks like this weird faded empty looking purple red brown and no depth... even after lots of conditioning and choppy chop, it looks dry. -.- I used 20 developer. 25 mins.

on 3/19/2013 8:52:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I bought the color truffle, and i had a medium brown hair with blonde streaks......the first time i applied this dye i used 20 vol developer,it washed out so quick qnd my hair felt so dri, i had to dye it again after only a week and a half,the second time i used 10 vol developer....it still is washing out so quick on the ends, so it looks like two different washed out tones...sucks....i dont want to keep having to dye it every other week as i amtrying to grow it out..

on 12/29/2011 11:46:00 PM

I've been using Ion Brilliance pretty regularly to cover my grays, but my color was starting to look a bit flat to me, so I thought I'd try something new. I bought the 20% developer and color Chocolate. So far I've only used it to touch up in the front, but I love the color. On my naturally dark brown hair, it came out a rich mahogany color. I can't wait to do the rest of my hair.

on 4/10/2011 11:21:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Wow this color is awesome. I used Cinnamon and Brandy and I have the most gorgeous medium golden brown hair now! I am so impressed with this. it was very messy but soooo worth it.