Peter Thomas Roth Anti-Aging Cleansing Gel

Peter Thomas Roth Anti-Aging Cleansing Gel

3.6

Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Coco-Glucoside, Propylene Glycol, Salicylic Acid (Beta Hydroxy Acid), Glycolic Acid/Arginine, Peach Fruit Extract, White Oak Bark Extract, Lemon Fruit Extract, Lime Fruit Extract, Linden Flower Extract, Grapefruit Fruit Extract, Citric Acid, Citrus Bioflavonoids, Allantoin, Methylparaben, Quaternium-15, Red #40, Yellow #5, Fragrance. 6/11/09

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I purchased a 2 ounce size of this in that "maze" of small sizes where you line up to pay at Sephora. I like this cleanser well enough but not as much as the Rose Stem Cell one which is the same price and which is the one I'll likely repurchase to replace my Boscia cleanser when that is finished, simply because the PTR one is a better per ounce value. This "Anti Aging" gel is a perfectly nice cleanser, and certainly "repurchase-worthy", though - it cleans well without irritating my skin and rinses away fully without leaving any sort of residue. But to tell the truth, I doubt there is anything "anti-aging" about this (that is such a nebulous term - I suppose someone could label sleeping as "anti-aging") and I think that when a company uses this term, it does nothing to enhance its reputation.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I got this as a Sephora sample and it sat in my drawer for months. I started using it and regret not doing it sooner. My skin felt tighter and acne went away within a week. Your face will feel dry after using it, but I put in moisturizer afterwards and there is no dry, flaky skin happening. At night, I put a thin layer the PTR Cucumber mask and leave it on overnight (it's clear and my husband had no idea I was wearing it). My skin has improved dramatically since using both of these products. It smells nice and even though it is pricy, a bottle will last you a long time. A little goes a long way.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

Not recommended for acne prone skin. This product stripped my skin which then started over producing oil so i had even more breakouts than when i began. only plus is a little goes a long way.

on 1/25/2017 1:59:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

I bought this from QVC and I said to myself, this better be good at least for the price I paid, $45!! Well, I am pretty picky about the soap that I put on my face, if it doesn't foam up a lot and make me feel clean afterward I will not buy it again, but when I used this formula I was totally impressed by it. It has a nice texture and feel to it, and it smells great, nice and clean! It lathers up so good, I use this every other morning, because to try it I only bought a 8 oz. bottle. When I finished my face feels so nice and clean. I get the occasional pimple here and there but this formula has kept my breakouts at bay, no breakouts. This stuff is the Bomb, I have to get the 32 oz.bottle next time around, I like the packaging also, and if I ran out I would RUN, not walk, RUN and get another one. Well actually I would try my best not to run out.

on 12/9/2016 8:48:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

My experience using this was a 57ml size courtesy of last year's Sephora beauty insider birthday gift. That being said, the little bottle lasted me a decent amount of time as I only use cleanser at night. A small amount poured onto my Clarisonic did the trick to get it into a light lather. I like the peachy scent and the fact that it doesn't dry out my skin despite the AHA/BHA content (I have dry skin but where I live is super humid), but apart from that I can't say it's holy grail or anything. I double cleanse with a cleansing oil or micellar water so not sure how effective it is in removing long wearing makeup. In addition I'm skeptical how exfoliating or anti aging can a cleanser be considering how it doesn't stay long enough on or be absorbed into the skin - it's probably overpriced for what is essentially a foaming cleansing gel.

The packaging is a bit awkward to start. You have to pour it into your hands without a pump or a proper top to dispense the cleanser. This is extremely drying on your skin, just strips all the moisture off your face. It does do a good job of exfoliating your skin, since my skin did feel smoother after use. If you're looking for a deep clean, this is also the cleanser for you. But I have combo skin that's on the dry side, and this is too harsh for me. Maybe for the summer this would also be a good cleanser to clean out your pores after a sweaty summer afternoon. I received this as a sample from Sephora, and I will not be buying the full sized bottle.

on 7/17/2016 3:27:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

Firstly, I have never actually paid for this cleanser; I redeem my Sephora points for the travel-sized bottles of this when they have it in stock. I might have also gotten one as a birthday gift from Sephora one year. I disclose this because I can't quite speak to the value for money, which often influences our judgement of a product's performance. If a large bottle goes for around $40, I think I would continue shopping for a less costly alternative...but it would be tempting to buy because it's a great cleanser.

I am 29 and have combination skin but my T-zone is very, very oily and shiny. The pores on my nose get clogged pretty quickly, even though I keep on top of daily cleansing. I rarely get zits or pimples though, so I can't complain over blackheads...Can't have it all!

How I use it: After I remove my eye makeup, I dab a dime-sized amount (total) of this cleanser on parts of my face and spend about 20 seconds massaging it onto my forehead, 20 seconds on my nose, 20 seconds on my chin and jawline and 10 seconds massaging it into my cheeks. It foams up but I just use a bit of water to help move it around easily. I wipe it off with a damp cotton facecloth and splash water onto my face before I pat dry.

I noticed a difference the first time I used this. My pores appeared smaller and some even looked unclogged (this could be helped by my use of an organic cotton facecloth that I crocheted myself to have little ridges). This is a big deal to me because I can only really rely on manual extraction to get gunk out of my pores (gross, I know).
What I noticed most, however, was that my skin was a lot brighter, looked fresh and also felt soft.

At first, I only used this cleanser once a day (at night) maybe twice a week. The reason is that I prefer to use Dove's white beauty bar to wash my face (something my doctor recommended to me 10 years ago and is my HG everyday cleanser). I am reluctant to use something with strong exfoliating properties twice a day because I have had dry patches and other reactions in the past so I prefer to use Dove in the daytime and stronger cleansers at night after a day of sunscreen and makeup.

I have increased my use of this a bit (still just at night but now every other night instead of twice weekly) because my pores are getting more clogged this summer. I have a feeling it's due to the extra sweat, extra oil (I started taking Biotin this summer) and maybe even sunscreen, even though I think it's non-comedogenic (Shiseido Urban Environment SPF 42). I think they glue together to clog my pores because it wasn't this bad in the winter and spring.

I have not experienced any bad reactions but I imagine it might be drying to some people, since I have pretty oily skin.

Again, it is pretty expensive so I am also trying to stretch out this Sephora bonus as long as I can. Look for the bonuses when Sephora has them or ask for a sample the next time you're in. It's a great cleanser.

Hope that helps!

on 5/19/2016 3:03:00 PM

Don't buy this if you have combination or dry skin, or looking for a cleanser for the winter time. I've been using this for a year now after using Philosophy's Purity Made Simple for a long time just because I wanted to switch it up. Big mistake. This stripped my skin and left me with flaky skin and dry patches for most of the time that I used it, even after moisturizing. I never had this problem with any other cleanser I've used. My skin felt tight and I had excess oil production due to the dryness as well as more pimples. Excess oil and flakiness at the same time is the absolute worst.

The one good thing about this cleanser is that a little goes a long way so it's not actually too expensive.

For background info: I have normal, non sensitive skin. It's not overly dry or oily, but probably leaning more towards the dry/combination side if I had to choose. My skin can withhold just about anything. It's usually in pretty decent condition and I don't have acne for the most part except for hormonal pimples once in a while. Which is why I was so surprised when my skin absolutely hated this cleanser but I guess for someone with severely oily skin, this cleanser might be a better fit.

on 5/18/2016 7:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Im 32 with oily, acne prone skin. For a long time I was using Neutrogena's anti acne anti wrinkle cleanser and it worked great! For some reason, however, it's now discontinued and I needed a similar product. I found that its not easy to find anti aging skincare for oily skin, likely because the situation is not at all common! Most people stop being greasy much earlier in life. Well this cleanser fit my needs. It's not as drying as an acne wash for teens, but still cleanses very well and a little goes a long way. The ingredients are good for exfoliation and acne. I dont recommend this product for normal or dry skin. Older skin thats oily or combination type is the best match for this cleanser.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Am loving this product right now, in conjunction with my Spin for Perfect Skin Brush! I have never used any other cleanser that left my skin feeling as CLEAN and deeply purified without completely stripping it, the way this cleanser does for me. I do think it is particularly great for me because I have oily skin. Love love love, and it actually keeps my skin clear of breakouts. I will continue to use this on and on until i find something better because that's just how I am--always trying new things out but for now, its a keeper definitely!

Its expensive but worth it.