Peter Thomas Roth Anti-Aging Cleansing Gel

Peter Thomas Roth Anti-Aging Cleansing Gel

3.6

Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Coco-Glucoside, Propylene Glycol, Salicylic Acid (Beta Hydroxy Acid), Glycolic Acid/Arginine, Peach Fruit Extract, White Oak Bark Extract, Lemon Fruit Extract, Lime Fruit Extract, Linden Flower Extract, Grapefruit Fruit Extract, Citric Acid, Citrus Bioflavonoids, Allantoin, Methylparaben, Quaternium-15, Red #40, Yellow #5, Fragrance. 6/11/09

The packaging is a bit awkward to start. You have to pour it into your hands without a pump or a proper top to dispense the cleanser. This is extremely drying on your skin, just strips all the moisture off your face. It does do a good job of exfoliating your skin, since my skin did feel smoother after use. If you're looking for a deep clean, this is also the cleanser for you. But I have combo skin that's on the dry side, and this is too harsh for me. Maybe for the summer this would also be a good cleanser to clean out your pores after a sweaty summer afternoon. I received this as a sample from Sephora, and I will not be buying the full sized bottle.

on 7/17/2016 3:27:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

Firstly, I have never actually paid for this cleanser; I redeem my Sephora points for the travel-sized bottles of this when they have it in stock. I might have also gotten one as a birthday gift from Sephora one year. I disclose this because I can't quite speak to the value for money, which often influences our judgement of a product's performance. If a large bottle goes for around $40, I think I would continue shopping for a less costly alternative...but it would be tempting to buy because it's a great cleanser.

I am 29 and have combination skin but my T-zone is very, very oily and shiny. The pores on my nose get clogged pretty quickly, even though I keep on top of daily cleansing. I rarely get zits or pimples though, so I can't complain over blackheads...Can't have it all!

How I use it: After I remove my eye makeup, I dab a dime-sized amount (total) of this cleanser on parts of my face and spend about 20 seconds massaging it onto my forehead, 20 seconds on my nose, 20 seconds on my chin and jawline and 10 seconds massaging it into my cheeks. It foams up but I just use a bit of water to help move it around easily. I wipe it off with a damp cotton facecloth and splash water onto my face before I pat dry.

I noticed a difference the first time I used this. My pores appeared smaller and some even looked unclogged (this could be helped by my use of an organic cotton facecloth that I crocheted myself to have little ridges). This is a big deal to me because I can only really rely on manual extraction to get gunk out of my pores (gross, I know).
    What I noticed most, however, was that my skin was a lot brighter, looked fresh and also felt soft.

At first, I only used this cleanser once a day (at night) maybe twice a week. The reason is that I prefer to use Dove's white beauty bar to wash my face (something my doctor recommended to me 10 years ago and is my HG everyday cleanser). I am reluctant to use something with strong exfoliating properties twice a day because I have had dry patches and other reactions in the past so I prefer to use Dove in the daytime and stronger cleansers at night after a day of sunscreen and makeup.

I have increased my use of this a bit (still just at night but now every other night instead of twice weekly) because my pores are getting more clogged this summer. I have a feeling it's due to the extra sweat, extra oil (I started taking Biotin this summer) and maybe even sunscreen, even though I think it's non-comedogenic (Shiseido Urban Environment SPF 42). I think they glue together to clog my pores because it wasn't this bad in the winter and spring.

I have not experienced any bad reactions but I imagine it might be drying to some people, since I have pretty oily skin.

Again, it is pretty expensive so I am also trying to stretch out this Sephora bonus as long as I can. Look for the bonuses when Sephora has them or ask for a sample the next time you're in. It's a great cleanser.

Hope that helps!

To Read all 85 Reviews, Login or Join

on 5/19/2016 3:03:00 PM

Don't buy this if you have combination or dry skin, or looking for a cleanser for the winter time. I've been using this for a year now after using Philosophy's Purity Made Simple for a long time just because I wanted to switch it up. Big mistake. This stripped my skin and left me with flaky skin and dry patches for most of the time that I used it, even after moisturizing. I never had this problem with any other cleanser I've used. My skin felt tight and I had excess oil production due to the dryness as well as more pimples. Excess oil and flakiness at the same time is the absolute worst.

The one good thing about this cleanser is that a little goes a long way so it's not actually too expensive.

For background info: I have normal, non sensitive skin. It's not overly dry or oily, but probably leaning more towards the dry/combination side if I had to choose. My skin can withhold just about anything. It's usually in pretty decent condition and I don't have acne for the most part except for hormonal pimples once in a while. Which is why I was so surprised when my skin absolutely hated this cleanser but I guess for someone with severely oily skin, this cleanser might be a better fit.

on 5/18/2016 7:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Im 32 with oily, acne prone skin. For a long time I was using Neutrogena's anti acne anti wrinkle cleanser and it worked great! For some reason, however, it's now discontinued and I needed a similar product. I found that its not easy to find anti aging skincare for oily skin, likely because the situation is not at all common! Most people stop being greasy much earlier in life. Well this cleanser fit my needs. It's not as drying as an acne wash for teens, but still cleanses very well and a little goes a long way. The ingredients are good for exfoliation and acne. I dont recommend this product for normal or dry skin. Older skin thats oily or combination type is the best match for this cleanser.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Am loving this product right now, in conjunction with my Spin for Perfect Skin Brush! I have never used any other cleanser that left my skin feeling as CLEAN and deeply purified without completely stripping it, the way this cleanser does for me. I do think it is particularly great for me because I have oily skin. Love love love, and it actually keeps my skin clear of breakouts. I will continue to use this on and on until i find something better because that's just how I am--always trying new things out but for now, its a keeper definitely!

Its expensive but worth it.

on 10/18/2015 7:58:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

This bottle is going on a year + as I bought it at last year's Sephora FF Sale. Super expensive, even with 20% off and I really do not think it brightens or anything. I don't. What it does is foam and clean away all impurities but I could honestly get that with a much cheaper alternative. IDK if I will repurchase but I still put 'yes' because this product is great for my oily skin. I love the peach smell!

This face wash is for strictly oily skin. I sadly have combo skin and was silly enough to buy it in the winter. It is quite stripping but leaves your skin squeaky clean. If I had really grubby skin from a day working in the yard or tanning it would be great. But for every day use not so much. I do really like the brand and will buy more of their products. The smell was nice and there is a lot in a bottle so you get a lot for the hefty price tag. I think for what the issue may be is that the name is misleading. It has no anti aging results to speak of and should be called "turbo face wash for the oiliest of faces only"

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

My mom has used this face wash for years now so every once in a while I switch to this. I don't know about any anti-aging benefits but I do think it keeps my acne calmed down and I never break out from it. It never dries out my skin and I can use it morning and night if I wanted too. A little goes a long way so the bottle tends to last about 4+ months which I think is really great.
    There isn't much of a scent and it never lingers. Also, even though it has glycolic and salisylic acid, my skin never feels tight but it feels super clean. It says that all skin types can use it and I think so too. I can use it when my skin is super oily or super dry and it never causes a problem. It seems a bit pricey at first but the bottle lasts for a long time so I think it makes up for it. If you are wanting a face wash that doesn't have much of a fragrance and is easy to use anytime, then I say try it out. I always end up going back to this one and the Beta Hydroxy Adic 2% Acne face wash from PTR since my skin always feels clean without being stripped and I think it actually helps keep my skin pretty much clear.

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I love PTR products and this face wash is no exception. I use several PTR face washes but this one makes my skin feel the most squeaky clean. No breakouts but I only use every other morning, not because it's too harsh for me but because I really love the PTR glycolic and beta hydroxy cleansers too.

on 2/18/2015 5:26:00 AM

This product keeps my skin smooth and bright and clear. It is my HG cleanser, and I've been using this for two years. I haven't found another cleanser that works this well for me. Lathers up nicely and rinses off easily. Pleasant fruity scent. Makes my skin feel extra clean, but never dried out. Not really suited for makeup removal though, I use something different for that- either an oil cleanser or a creamy foaming one.

For reference I have skin that is combo-oily, clog-prone, not sensitive. This cleanser turned out to suit me perfectly. Makes my skin feel so fresh, and it really keeps the breakouts at bay.

Despite the price tag this is a staple item for me. Have repurchased many times and will continue to do so.