MAC Matte - Soft Brown

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

boring.

on 11/15/2010 8:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Sadly this did not last long in my collection. It was my first natural eye contour color from Mac, and I wanted it to work so bad. The reason it never did was that it's too orange-toned for my pale skin, therefore it makes my eyes appear unhealthy and irritated and it gives me an overall tired and sleepless look. Gave it to my best friend whose coloring is similar but it didn't seem to work on her either. I'm sure it would look great on slightly deeper skin tones (I'd say just up to NC/NW35 or else it won't show up), but I've now learnt to stay away from warm browns, either light, medium or dark. Won't repurchase.

on 3/14/2008 11:05:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This e/s is blah. It may be useful as an eyeshadow base otherwise, utterly useless.

One of MAC's boringest and ugliest colors. it wasn't 'brown' at all. it was more like peachy coraly brown. the hue was just off for me. It looked bad on my skin tone and made my eyes appear red and tired. I really hate this color and regret getting it. I suppose it works for a more natural look but it really just makes me look tired and like I cried all night.

Soft Brown looks pretty in the pan but did not show up AT ALL on my GGG/DDD skintone. It is very light peachy brown in tone and the formula I found a bit chalky and hard to apply. I quickly swapped this shadow away.

on 10/9/2011 1:15:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

It's an okay crease color. Has an orangy cast in pictures. But other than that, it is a good quality eyeshadow overall, just not the color i expected. Anyone have any recs for a true light brown crease color, w/ no type of undertones?
=)

on 11/17/2010 7:30:00 PM

I've been using Wedge in my crease and thought Soft Brown would be nice as well. Unfortunately it's too orange for my skintone...I will try to use it as a transition color when I do smokey eyes and see if that works any better.

great golden-y brown blending color. My MA told me that I can use it in the crease to blend all sorts of colors. Right now I use it with a lighter green (the MA suggested Juxt) on the lid and darker, vibrant green (like Humid) in the crease. Also great as all over neutral color. Looks good on my NC43 skin. Fantastic!

on 7/16/2015 10:07:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I use it to complement purple eyeshadow looks. Blends easily.

on 5/2/2013 3:43:00 AM

Random fact: this is the shade used on Christina Hendricks when she plays Joan in Mad Men, so you know it is a pretty, classic shade.

It is definitely more of a transition color than one to use solo. I have paired it with Soba to tone down the orange if I feel like wearing brown shades (it sounds strange since Soba is a gold color with yellow undertones, but it really takes out Soft Brown's orange/red tones). This shadow also worked great as a transition color with Shadowy Lady (dark purple shade). Very versatile color and works with a lot of different skin tones.