MAC Matte - Soft Brown

4.4

on 1/30/2012 4:15:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Been trying really hard to appreciate/like this shadow, but I think my tan is slightly too deep for this too look right. I have strong yellow/golden undertones, and Soft Brown's peachiness has this weird tone to it that makes me look sickly. I also have to pack this color on to get it to show up in the first place. I'm not sure why someone of my tone would pick this over Saddle, which is FAR more flattering and doesn't make me look sick at all. Chanel PL BA34/NC44/Nars Tahoe for reference.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I, like many others, love this eyeshadow to blend out crease colors and have a more natural looking transition into my highlight color. I also like it occasionally as a wash on the lid. In the pan it doesn't look like anything special but he texture is very nice and it's well pigmented. This is a really great color to have in any collection and I will repurchase (if I ever run out).

on 11/16/2011 11:41:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

Great, very useful, neutral shadow. Sort of the color of silly putty - a pinky-browny-taupey color.

Me - NC15, dark red hair, green eyes, freckles, 44 years old.

I use this as a crease color for a no-makeup makeup - it helps to push back the hooded area without looking harsh. Works well with lots of other shadows, too - browns, greys, plums, olivey greens. Great as an edge blender, also works as a cheek contour and brow color for warm golden blondes, redheads and light warm brunettes, too. Versatile, albeit uninteresting as an overall lid color.

While Soft Brown is very useful and a no-thought color, I actually prefer Texture as a more statement making but still soft crease tone. Texture gives a Rodarte Spring 2012 caramel-sepia-light rust sort of look. While Rule is definitely orange on my skin, Texture is a hint of browned down orange that really gives my face a lovely lift.

So - if you have Soft Brown but find it a bit lackluster, try Texture.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This is a great warm light brown color but the formula is severely lacking. It's dry and doesn't apply easily like Bobbi Brown, for example. It also kind of sits on top of your skin (even applied lightly) rather than meshing with it. I'd rather spend a little more money and get a really great color and formula.
Update: I still wish this was smoother but I'm using it again and love how it wears without creasing. And the color is typical MAC - great.

on 4/2/2006 12:04:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

i am putting in my 2 cents on this because after reading the below reviews, i see no one mentioned using this as a BLUSH! this is my very first MAC e/s. i think i bought it in 1998 (when they were still selling large-sized e/s pans). i asked the ma for a neutral, natural-looking blush and she gave me this! i still have it. many MAC blushes (and e/s (-: ) under the bridge since then and i hardly ever use it but after reading the below reviews, maybe i'll start including it again.

on 6/10/2017 7:10:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Beautiful. A soft matte peachy brown which is very easy to blend and stays put. Easy to combine with other eyeshadows as a crease/transition color, the equivalent of bronzer for eyelids; it's not so much the color itself that looks flattering but the warmth it adds to the look. I personally love combining it with shimmery gold eyeshadow on the lids. Recommended!

on 12/12/2014 12:06:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

A few months ago I dropped by Mac and asked a make up artist for an eye shadow that I could use a brow powder. The artist recommended Mac Soft Brown because he said it was reddish and would go with my (medium auburn colored hair). I was a tad skeptical when I made the purchase because while my hair has a definite auburn color, my brows have no red in them whatsoever. I do like the eye shadow soft brown and use it almost every day as the perfect s-o-f-t powder liner underneath my bottom lashes, about half way across. It definitely makes my eyes look more defined but in a soft and natural way, I also use this shadow lightly from my lids up to just above my cease. I smooth the shadow with my favorite eye blending brush from Stila.adow brush.

on 1/6/2014 12:38:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

this color is awesome... its a perfect neutral color for my Hazel eyes... just bought it and added it to a Smokey eye using espresso and sweet satisfaction - simply gorgeous!

on 2/25/2012 7:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I really can't think of anything bad to say about this product. I'm an NC25 and I use this almost everyday with my E.L.F. Blending Eye Brush and just apply it into my crease. I absolutley love this color and will continue to purchase this product.

on 1/2/2011 9:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This is my favorite crease/transistion color. I wear this shadow everyday with all of my looks. I first heard about it when makeupbytiffanyd mentioned it in her videos so I decided to try it out. I like to wear this for natural looks in the crease with brule as an all over lid color and soft brown in the crease and if i want to deepen the look up a little I will just add something else in the outer corner add liner and mascara and i'm good to go. This is also a good crease color if you're wearing a green like sumptous olive on the lid or even if you're wearing a purple like nocturnelle. Great transition/blending color, would definetly reccomend.