MAC Matte - Soft Brown

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
MAC Matte - Soft Brown

4.6

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

It is a nicely created colour - light warm brown with orange (not peach) undertones which in theory should have done wonders for my medium blue eyes. No good. Instead I looked drawn like I was recovering from the flu. I truly never had a shadow that looked this bad. I am fair/neutral so that might be an indicator if it would work for you.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Like all other reviews, this shade really does make a great transition shade to blend Neutral shades out! The texture is pretty much like all matte mac eye shadows and it's easy to spread all over the crease. The color is like an orange-ish brown and compliments the crease nicely if you wear it alone, just as long as it's blended out pretty well.

With a primer it lasts all day on my crease, and I think the shade is especially pretty when blended with Mac's Satin Brune.

on 11/28/2010 3:34:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

At first I didn't know what to do with this shadow. It just seemed SO matte that it looked heavy on my lids. However, I discovered that it's an awesome crease colour with shimmery gold shadow on the lid. Really makes my green eyes POP and tones down the shimmery lid colour. I like this with Gold Mode pigment and Stila Sun or Oasis e/s especially.

on 10/28/2010 6:57:00 PM

I'm just echoing the other glowing reviews for this shadow. It's wonderful as a crease color for a daytime, work-appropriate smokey eye. I find it a little hard to work with because it's matte, but this could be equally attributed to my lousy blending skills. In any case, this is a lovely color for N20 people.

on 7/17/2010 1:49:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

Love it as a crease colour, blending colour or even a brow colour in my more reddish days. it's a real soft brown with a tad of orange. I really like this!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Soft Brown is often overlooked because it's brown, and well... it can appear boring. Most people cannot figure out what to do with it, or they think they can find it anywhere for cheaper. You can't.... I've come across every brown known to man, and it still manage's to be "the one" I reach for every time. Some may know it can be used to blend out a smokey eye, or simply define the crease for that ultra natural day look. I would also use this paired with bright lips. It just adds that touch of definition you need. So some may say it's basic, but it has it's purpose. That's why it's permanent. ;)

on 5/2/2007 8:03:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have had this eyeshadow for years, and don't remember the last time I used it. (Crazy... right?) I don't think I liked it too much the first time I tried it, so I stuffed it in a drawer and basically forgot about it.Today, I wanted to try it with this look that I had in mind after watching Boston Legal last night. (One of the blue-eyed actresses had this amazing, eyeshadow-look going on... and even tho I'm hazel-eyed, I wanted to try and mimic it.) In an effort to create a similar look on me, I used Rite of Spring (LE) as a base from lashes to brows, Motif on lid to crease, and Soft Brown in crease and outer corners. I lined upper lids with MAC's Graphic Brown Fluidline, and lower lids with Bobbi Brown's gel liner in Bronze Shimmer. This was a nice, fresh, daytime look that would look even more stunning on blue eyes! But even without the aqua peepers, Soft Brown has suddenly become more appealing to me, and I will definitely be putting it to more use. It is not really "soft brown" as the name says, but more of a medium, peachy-brown. I don't know why I bought this a few years ago, but now I'm glad I did. :o) continued >>

I bought this after I had tried Kid e/s in an eyeshadow palette. I tend to favor browns on my eyes (dark brown), but they're too neutral and look almost 'dirty'. This didn't! It's a warm, medium peachy-brown color that goes perfectly with everything. Matte finish, doesn't crease or fade. I tend to favor more natural shades for a daytime look, so I wear Soft Brown at night and Bamboo (reviewed) during the day. I took off a lippie for the packaging; pot shadows aren't very portable (the shadow itself always seems to crack in my makeup bag).

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love this w MAC Phloof. On me this is a bit similar to MAC Saddle. Really gr8 in the crease/transition. I wear glasses, have mature skin, w grey eyes & am NC15 for reference. I like to put Phloof on my lid then this on my crease & finish it off w black or dark brown eyeliner & black mascara. If I want to make it a bit more dramatic I will add just a very teeny tiny bit of MAC Carbon on the outer V smudge it out. Soft Brown borders on leaning a little orange which I love orangish rusty Browns & I don't know of any cheaper DS dupes coz this is so unique! Serious staple HG. This was ~$17 so it was not cheap but worth it & some may be able to also use this as a brow powder color.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

This is my preferred transition colour over Uninterrupted. Soft Brown is appropriately named as it is a soft brown. It does have slight pink undertones (to me anyways) but it's not noticeable on my lids and I love using it for smokey eye looks. It's subtle and I don't have to worry about it looking obvious as other transition shadows can.
It's a my lid but better shade and if I want a very natural look, I'll use MAC's Layin' Low paint pot as a base with Soft Brown all over the lids.
For reference, I'm a NC30.
I wouldn't recommend it for NC40 skin tones or darker.