MAC Cosmetics Matte - Soft Brown

MAC Cosmetics Matte - Soft Brown

4.6

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

This is my preferred transition colour over Uninterrupted. Soft Brown is appropriately named as it is a soft brown. It does have slight pink undertones (to me anyways) but it's not noticeable on my lids and I love using it for smokey eye looks. It's subtle and I don't have to worry about it looking obvious as other transition shadows can.
It's a my lid but better shade and if I want a very natural look, I'll use MAC's Layin' Low paint pot as a base with Soft Brown all over the lids.
For reference, I'm a NC30.
I wouldn't recommend it for NC40 skin tones or darker.

on 12/25/2013 9:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I am OBSESSED with soft brown. For reference: NC15-20, brown hair, blue-green eyes.

I use this color as my ultimate transition shade. I put it on first before any other shadows, especially when I'm doing a crease. It is a great problem solver with any blending issue that I come across. I just grab a blending brush, use some soft brown, and everything is ok again.

To me, soft brown looks very warm, almost like an orangey/reddish brown in the pan, but on the lids it i just the perfect light brown shade, and is something that you don't think you need until you own it.

on 12/15/2013 12:51:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I can't believe I waited so long to buy this shadow! I'm flipping in love with Soft Brown! The shade is the most beautiful, soft, light peachy brown, with a wonderful soft, silky matte finish. I LOVE using Soft Brown on all over my lid and then up into my crease area with a 217 or 224 brush. If you're an NC25 or darker, I would say that it really is the most perfect warm transition shade to really warm up the eye without being obvious that it's there. However, if you're more fair or have cool toned skin, I could see Soft Brown being potentially too orange on your skin, of course, it depends on application and your personal preferences. I'm an NC30-35 and think it adds the slightest bit of warmth, I can also get away with wearing this on it's own with just some highlighter on my brow bone as a warm, natural look, but I can see why most people would see Soft Brown solely as a transition shade, since it is quite orange, but if you're skin is warm enough, you could totally use this as a lid shade. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a natural, light, matte colour. ** Please be advised that this shadow is QUITE peachy and slightly orange, Soft Brown is NOT a neutral, it is warm! So if you prefer cooler shades, you should probably look for an alternative cooler or more neutral brown, like Cork or Wedge.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Like all other reviews, this shade really does make a great transition shade to blend Neutral shades out! The texture is pretty much like all matte mac eye shadows and it's easy to spread all over the crease. The color is like an orange-ish brown and compliments the crease nicely if you wear it alone, just as long as it's blended out pretty well.

With a primer it lasts all day on my crease, and I think the shade is especially pretty when blended with Mac's Satin Brune.

on 10/15/2013 5:47:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I originally bought this color as a filler for my eyebrows (apparently I have "soft brown" hair), but it's also a pretty nice crease color. It's too dark on my NW20 skin to be much else, but it's a pretty, ashy/neutral brown.

on 7/3/2013 2:20:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

You really can't go wrong with this color, it is a great investment. It's the perfect crease color for fair skin, and a great color for everyday use. It blends well, it's highly pigmented, and it's very flattering. One of my favorites and certainly a staple of my standard eye look.

on 6/24/2013 10:32:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

This. This. This! This eyeshadow is hands down, the BEST transition colour I have ever laid my eyeshadow-hungry eyes on! Mac's Soft Brown is a beautiful, warm, medium brown shade that will give you just the right amount of definition.
Pretty much every time I apply eyeshadow, I'll throw on a base (Mac's Painterly paint pot), then pop this colour all throughout my crease, diffusing it up toward my brown bone with a nice fluffy brush. It's light enough to conceal any blending faults, but it definitely shows up on my NC37 skin.
I looove pairing this with Woodwinked and Mulch for a warm, bronzed look, which really brings out the green and yellow flecks in my eyes. If you have dark brown, hazel, or green eyes, this colour would be perfect for you. Even you blue eyed gals out there, soft brown will bring a warm contrast to your cooler toned eyes.
If you're just starting out with Mac, or if you're on the hunt for a blending colour, Soft Brown is a great one to go for.

PERFECT transitioning color for my pale skin! I use this with every eyeshadow look! Perfect color, pigmentation and everything! BUY THIS!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

It is a nicely created colour - light warm brown with orange (not peach) undertones which in theory should have done wonders for my medium blue eyes. No good. Instead I looked drawn like I was recovering from the flu. I truly never had a shadow that looked this bad. I am fair/neutral so that might be an indicator if it would work for you.

I have been putting off buying this shadow for soooo long. I have every other transition shade that MAC has in the permanent line, and thought this one was just too orange -- boy was I wrong! I love it! Not only is it a great color that goes with just about ANY look, it has the best texture and blends soooo easily! If you are looking for a transition color, feel free to check out my "Guide to MAC Transition Colors" on my blog: