MAC Matte - Soft Brown

MAC Matte - Soft Brown

4.4

on 4/17/2013 9:29:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Waited so long to buy this. Glad to see I wasn't the only one who couldn't wear it. It was wayyyy too orange.

on 9/8/2007 11:05:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

boring.

on 5/14/2014 12:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

It barely shows on my skin tone (I'm very light, hazel eyes). I have to use it quiet a lot to get some color and still... not one of my favorites.

on 3/31/2014 11:36:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

HORRIBLE HORRIBLE EYESHADOW. At least in my opinion, i am a NC35 skin tone with neutral undertones, i don't understand the hype about this eyeshadow, i had to order this online because singapore doesn't sell soft brown and i really wanted to try it. the reason why i hate it because i thought it would work well with my skin tone, but i bought this to use as a transition color but it was too pink for me, it messed up my eyeshadow colors and i couldn't put another color in the crease after applying this. its just not the right transition / crease / blending color for me, will never repurchase again but i'll give it points that it has great color payoff and pigmentation.

on 11/15/2010 8:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Sadly this did not last long in my collection. It was my first natural eye contour color from Mac, and I wanted it to work so bad. The reason it never did was that it's too orange-toned for my pale skin, therefore it makes my eyes appear unhealthy and irritated and it gives me an overall tired and sleepless look. Gave it to my best friend whose coloring is similar but it didn't seem to work on her either. I'm sure it would look great on slightly deeper skin tones (I'd say just up to NC/NW35 or else it won't show up), but I've now learnt to stay away from warm browns, either light, medium or dark. Won't repurchase.

on 10/9/2011 1:15:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

It's an okay crease color. Has an orangy cast in pictures. But other than that, it is a good quality eyeshadow overall, just not the color i expected. Anyone have any recs for a true light brown crease color, w/ no type of undertones?
=)

on 5/2/2013 3:43:00 AM

Random fact: this is the shade used on Christina Hendricks when she plays Joan in Mad Men, so you know it is a pretty, classic shade.

It is definitely more of a transition color than one to use solo. I have paired it with Soba to tone down the orange if I feel like wearing brown shades (it sounds strange since Soba is a gold color with yellow undertones, but it really takes out Soft Brown's orange/red tones). This shadow also worked great as a transition color with Shadowy Lady (dark purple shade). Very versatile color and works with a lot of different skin tones.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

At first when I bought this, I regretted it. I bought it as an outer lid color, but it was pretty much the same color as my lid, and it was just a little darker, which was really annoying.

However, I also use embark as a crease color, and I noticed that embark was really pigmented, and sometimes I would put too much. It could also be tricky to blend. So that's where this eye shadow came in. I mix this and embark together for a perfect soft crease color, and I in general use it as a blending color for dark brown shadow. And it worked great for that purpose.

So I'm not regretting the bucks I spent for this, because this actually a very versatile color. If you're fair skinned, get this for your crease. If you're dark skinned, use it on your lid. And if you're neutral like me, use it as a blending color! I just may repurchase...

on 9/5/2011 2:52:00 PM

I am amazed at how much I like this!! As I say in every review, I am really cool toned and any time I want to do browns they turn ruddy or orange-y on me a lot of the time so I am always scared of that. And as many commenters have said, this DOES have an orange undertone in it (or peach, I suppose).

I went in to have an MUA help me out with a look for my brother's wedding and she used this with jest on the lid and blackberry in the outer v. Even though it looked really nice I was still feeling like I should try a cooler brown. I went home and tried to recreate the look using wedge and it just didn't look as nice. I did everything I could to avoid buying the soft brown because I thought sure I'd never use it again. It's become a staple. It pairs wonderfully with jest and you can put something a little cooler in the outer v to bring it together. So, it's great for me, because I always have trouble with my cool skin tone and warm toned eyes. It is very buildable and I love the texture and find it really easy to blend too, It is great for a really natural look. If you have coloring like me, try this one and see if you really like it rather than dismissing on first sight. You may be surprised!

on 5/16/2011 12:31:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Soft Brown pulls peach on me, which I don't like, BUT if I put if lightly in my crease with Brule on the lid and brows, the peach barely shows when my eyes are open and it just gives a slight warmth to my eyes and makes my big brown eyes really stand out. I'm Asian with lt-med skin and yellow undertones.