MAC Matte - Soft Brown

Filtered by hair type : Straight
MAC Matte - Soft Brown

4.4

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I've been using naked from UD as a transition shade and sometimes it just doesn't seem to cut it. Soft brown has since replaced naked and has been my go to transition shade and I'm NC42. The shadow is a soft matte warm brown shade that looks slightly orangey in the pan. It blends really easily too. Besides being a great transition shade, it adds warmth to any look. Definitely a staple in my stash.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

So this is a great shadow, but I don't feel it's a must have for me. It's another great matte, smooth, buildable, blendable shadow. It's a mid tone warm peachy brown. It's a little dark for me to use as a transition shade. I have to use it very lightly for that. It's more of a light outer v shade for me. It's a darker version of Anastasia Birkin. Because I now have Birkin, I really don't use soft brown much. I do like it for more natural lighter looks in the outer v. I think on medium skin tones this would be a perfect transition shade.

on 1/16/2016 7:07:00 AM

Soft brown is the perfect transition shade for me. I love this color in the crease of my eye and then I use it to blend out all my other eyeshadows to get that soft focus look. I like a blended out eye where you cannot tell where each color begins and ends. Soft brown is perfect for softening everything up. The color is a peachy brown and it's matte. It's one of my staple eye shadows.

on 5/14/2014 12:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

It barely shows on my skin tone (I'm very light, hazel eyes). I have to use it quiet a lot to get some color and still... not one of my favorites.

on 3/31/2014 11:36:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

HORRIBLE HORRIBLE EYESHADOW. At least in my opinion, i am a NC35 skin tone with neutral undertones, i don't understand the hype about this eyeshadow, i had to order this online because singapore doesn't sell soft brown and i really wanted to try it. the reason why i hate it because i thought it would work well with my skin tone, but i bought this to use as a transition color but it was too pink for me, it messed up my eyeshadow colors and i couldn't put another color in the crease after applying this. its just not the right transition / crease / blending color for me, will never repurchase again but i'll give it points that it has great color payoff and pigmentation.

on 7/28/2013 11:03:00 PM

I bought this probably about 5-6 months ago, so I've had plenty of time to play around with it. Anyways, I didn't really need much time to fall in love with this shade. It's a beautiful warm brown, and it's a perfect transition color if you're looking to warm up your look a little bit. I like using this with Vanilla and Corduroy, I find this combination just beautiful.

The texture is super soft and easy to blend, and it is not chalky at all which is great for a matte shade.

Overall, I think this is a great addition to anyone's collection, and I think it would get a lot of use!
Highly recommend!

on 5/2/2013 3:43:00 AM

Random fact: this is the shade used on Christina Hendricks when she plays Joan in Mad Men, so you know it is a pretty, classic shade.

It is definitely more of a transition color than one to use solo. I have paired it with Soba to tone down the orange if I feel like wearing brown shades (it sounds strange since Soba is a gold color with yellow undertones, but it really takes out Soft Brown's orange/red tones). This shadow also worked great as a transition color with Shadowy Lady (dark purple shade). Very versatile color and works with a lot of different skin tones.

on 4/17/2013 9:29:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Waited so long to buy this. Glad to see I wasn't the only one who couldn't wear it. It was wayyyy too orange.

This is a great crease and transition shade.
It's very warm almost orrangey brown. It adds great depth to the crease because it's color and it's matte finish. This is a keeper in my transition shade family: Mac wedge, texture, saffron // UD naked, buck, and Tease.

on 10/9/2011 1:15:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

It's an okay crease color. Has an orangy cast in pictures. But other than that, it is a good quality eyeshadow overall, just not the color i expected. Anyone have any recs for a true light brown crease color, w/ no type of undertones?
=)