MAC Matte - Soft Brown

MAC Matte - Soft Brown

4.6

Hate to ruin the streak of good reviews, but this color just does not work for extremely fair, cool skin. It's too peachy and warm to look natural in the crease. Wedge or Omega work much better to define the crease in a subtle, flattering way with my skintone (NW10). Perhaps I was using too much, but it honestly looked like I'd rubbed really hard with my blending brush an irritated my eyelid skin a bit after applying Soft Brown. Still, this shadow blends nicely. On more tan skin it would be very pretty and versatile judging from the reviews here.

on 11/16/2011 11:41:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

Great, very useful, neutral shadow. Sort of the color of silly putty - a pinky-browny-taupey color.

Me - NC15, dark red hair, green eyes, freckles, 44 years old.

I use this as a crease color for a no-makeup makeup - it helps to push back the hooded area without looking harsh. Works well with lots of other shadows, too - browns, greys, plums, olivey greens. Great as an edge blender, also works as a cheek contour and brow color for warm golden blondes, redheads and light warm brunettes, too. Versatile, albeit uninteresting as an overall lid color.

While Soft Brown is very useful and a no-thought color, I actually prefer Texture as a more statement making but still soft crease tone. Texture gives a Rodarte Spring 2012 caramel-sepia-light rust sort of look. While Rule is definitely orange on my skin, Texture is a hint of browned down orange that really gives my face a lovely lift.

So - if you have Soft Brown but find it a bit lackluster, try Texture.

My Holy Grail crease color. Smooth texture, easy to blend, great color payoff. Looks boring but trust me, everyone needs a go-to crease color! And your crease should not be over-powering your basic everyday look.

I have yellow undertones with monolids (NC25-NC30). I don't have a visible crease and the skin around my lid is naturally slightly pink.
I've tried Cork and copperplate for crease colors but nothing compares to the results i get with Soft Brown.

It's appears to be a peachy brown and when I apply it, it gives me some depth without looking like a cut crease but visible enough so that I look like I have a crease.

A friend (she's a monolid and paler than me) really liked it on me and we both went to Mac to get one for her. however it didn't work on her. She's NW20 with pink undertones. It make her look like she had a swollen eye. She ended up with Wedge to get the similiar effect.

on 1/30/2012 4:15:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Been trying really hard to appreciate/like this shadow, but I think my tan is slightly too deep for this too look right. I have strong yellow/golden undertones, and Soft Brown's peachiness has this weird tone to it that makes me look sickly. I also have to pack this color on to get it to show up in the first place. I'm not sure why someone of my tone would pick this over Saddle, which is FAR more flattering and doesn't make me look sick at all. Chanel PL BA34/NC44/Nars Tahoe for reference.

on 12/13/2009 8:27:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool

I bought this as part of my 1st custom 4x MAC palette. I'm so glad I did. I initially bought it to wear as a lid color on my NC45 skin, but I've found that it works a lot better as a crease color on me (I initially thought it'd be too light to wear as crease color, but with some layering, it looks so natural and pretty). Really opens up my eyes and draws attention to my dark brown eyes. Love it!

on 5/4/2006 4:26:00 PM

First of all, the name Soft Brown is misleading. It's orangey peach with a touch of brown. It looks orange in the pan and it looks orange peach on me. Second, every single MAC MA from different counters to different parts of the US keep recommending Soft Brown to me for pairing with greens, blues, and teals. I've been ignoring there recs for years and finally caved in last year. Well they were right. Soft Brown is the perfect accompaniment to greens, blues, and teals. It's especially beautiful as a crease color. The finish is matte but with proper blending it adds the perfect definition to my eyes without looking like "hey, I have orange e/s in my crease with blue e/s on the lid". Soft Brown is a boring color but sometimes the simplest colors have the most dramatic and effective impact. I will repurchase.

For reference I'm Stila 30 watts, Chanel Beige, and Armani LSF 5.5.

on 1/16/2016 7:07:00 AM

Soft brown is the perfect transition shade for me. I love this color in the crease of my eye and then I use it to blend out all my other eyeshadows to get that soft focus look. I like a blended out eye where you cannot tell where each color begins and ends. Soft brown is perfect for softening everything up. The color is a peachy brown and it's matte. It's one of my staple eye shadows.

on 12/15/2013 12:51:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I can't believe I waited so long to buy this shadow! I'm flipping in love with Soft Brown! The shade is the most beautiful, soft, light peachy brown, with a wonderful soft, silky matte finish. I LOVE using Soft Brown on all over my lid and then up into my crease area with a 217 or 224 brush. If you're an NC25 or darker, I would say that it really is the most perfect warm transition shade to really warm up the eye without being obvious that it's there. However, if you're more fair or have cool toned skin, I could see Soft Brown being potentially too orange on your skin, of course, it depends on application and your personal preferences. I'm an NC30-35 and think it adds the slightest bit of warmth, I can also get away with wearing this on it's own with just some highlighter on my brow bone as a warm, natural look, but I can see why most people would see Soft Brown solely as a transition shade, since it is quite orange, but if you're skin is warm enough, you could totally use this as a lid shade. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a natural, light, matte colour. ** Please be advised that this shadow is QUITE peachy and slightly orange, Soft Brown is NOT a neutral, it is warm! So if you prefer cooler shades, you should probably look for an alternative cooler or more neutral brown, like Cork or Wedge.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

This is my preferred transition colour over Uninterrupted. Soft Brown is appropriately named as it is a soft brown. It does have slight pink undertones (to me anyways) but it's not noticeable on my lids and I love using it for smokey eye looks. It's subtle and I don't have to worry about it looking obvious as other transition shadows can.
It's a my lid but better shade and if I want a very natural look, I'll use MAC's Layin' Low paint pot as a base with Soft Brown all over the lids.
For reference, I'm a NC30.
I wouldn't recommend it for NC40 skin tones or darker.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This is a great warm light brown color but the formula is severely lacking. It's dry and doesn't apply easily like Bobbi Brown, for example. It also kind of sits on top of your skin (even applied lightly) rather than meshing with it. I'd rather spend a little more money and get a really great color and formula.
Update: I still wish this was smoother but I'm using it again and love how it wears without creasing. And the color is typical MAC - great.