MAC Matte - Soft Brown

MAC Matte - Soft Brown

4.6

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I've been using naked from UD as a transition shade and sometimes it just doesn't seem to cut it. Soft brown has since replaced naked and has been my go to transition shade and I'm NC42. The shadow is a soft matte warm brown shade that looks slightly orangey in the pan. It blends really easily too. Besides being a great transition shade, it adds warmth to any look. Definitely a staple in my stash.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

So this is a great shadow, but I don't feel it's a must have for me. It's another great matte, smooth, buildable, blendable shadow. It's a mid tone warm peachy brown. It's a little dark for me to use as a transition shade. I have to use it very lightly for that. It's more of a light outer v shade for me. It's a darker version of Anastasia Birkin. Because I now have Birkin, I really don't use soft brown much. I do like it for more natural lighter looks in the outer v. I think on medium skin tones this would be a perfect transition shade.

To Read all 152 Reviews, Login or Join

on 1/16/2016 7:07:00 AM

Soft brown is the perfect transition shade for me. I love this color in the crease of my eye and then I use it to blend out all my other eyeshadows to get that soft focus look. I like a blended out eye where you cannot tell where each color begins and ends. Soft brown is perfect for softening everything up. The color is a peachy brown and it's matte. It's one of my staple eye shadows.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love this w MAC Phloof. On me this is a bit similar to MAC Saddle. Really gr8 in the crease/transition. I wear glasses, have mature skin, w grey eyes & am NC15 for reference. I like to put Phloof on my lid then this on my crease & finish it off w black or dark brown eyeliner & black mascara. If I want to make it a bit more dramatic I will add just a very teeny tiny bit of MAC Carbon on the outer V smudge it out. Soft Brown borders on leaning a little orange which I love orangish rusty Browns & I don't know of any cheaper DS dupes coz this is so unique! Serious staple HG. This was ~$17 so it was not cheap but worth it & some may be able to also use this as a brow powder color.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

This is my preferred transition colour over Uninterrupted. Soft Brown is appropriately named as it is a soft brown. It does have slight pink undertones (to me anyways) but it's not noticeable on my lids and I love using it for smokey eye looks. It's subtle and I don't have to worry about it looking obvious as other transition shadows can.
It's a my lid but better shade and if I want a very natural look, I'll use MAC's Layin' Low paint pot as a base with Soft Brown all over the lids.
For reference, I'm a NC30.
I wouldn't recommend it for NC40 skin tones or darker.

on 7/16/2015 10:07:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I use it to complement purple eyeshadow looks. Blends easily.

on 3/2/2015 8:44:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This one is a must for me. I would never have picked it out, but it kept showing up in every makeup tutorial. Once I read the glowing reviews, I knew I had to give it a shot, but was skeptical it would look too orange on me. What it does to bring warm definition to the crease and warm up any look is nothing short of magical :) Somehow this color works with just about any look as a transition color. Amazing! Great in terms of pigmentation and blending. Perfect transition shade or on its own as a crease color!

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

After having not so great results with other matte eye shadows from MAC I was very hesitant to purchase this but everyone kept raving on about it so I took the plunge and picked this up. And I have to say... It sure has impressed me! Such a beautiful texture, pigmented and easy to blend. I use this in my crease when I'm going for a warm look and it's just perfect. I have an olive complexion, NC37-40 right now and it just shows up perfectly on me as a warm brown with a slight pink tone which aids in blending out my other eye shadows as well as the perfect everyday simple 'throw on' eye shadow when I can't be bothered.

I would highly recommend this shade for anyone up to NC40 possibly NC42, any darker and I don't think it will show up well. I will be forever repurchasing.

on 12/12/2014 12:06:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

A few months ago I dropped by Mac and asked a make up artist for an eye shadow that I could use a brow powder. The artist recommended Mac Soft Brown because he said it was reddish and would go with my (medium auburn colored hair). I was a tad skeptical when I made the purchase because while my hair has a definite auburn color, my brows have no red in them whatsoever. I do like the eye shadow soft brown and use it almost every day as the perfect s-o-f-t powder liner underneath my bottom lashes, about half way across. It definitely makes my eyes look more defined but in a soft and natural way, I also use this shadow lightly from my lids up to just above my cease. I smooth the shadow with my favorite eye blending brush from Stila.adow brush.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Soft Brown was one of the first eyeshadow I ever purchased from Mac years ago and I still reach for it all the time. I prefer warm shadows as cool tones never look good on me. Soft Brown is my perfect transition shade. Even when I'm in a rush and doing very minimal makeup I always buff this in my crease for a little definition. It's a definite must have for anyone who loves warn shadows.