MAC Matte - Soft Brown

Filtered by age: 44-55
MAC Matte - Soft Brown

4.2

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

It is a nicely created colour - light warm brown with orange (not peach) undertones which in theory should have done wonders for my medium blue eyes. No good. Instead I looked drawn like I was recovering from the flu. I truly never had a shadow that looked this bad. I am fair/neutral so that might be an indicator if it would work for you.

on 11/16/2011 11:41:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

Great, very useful, neutral shadow. Sort of the color of silly putty - a pinky-browny-taupey color.

Me - NC15, dark red hair, green eyes, freckles, 44 years old.

I use this as a crease color for a no-makeup makeup - it helps to push back the hooded area without looking harsh. Works well with lots of other shadows, too - browns, greys, plums, olivey greens. Great as an edge blender, also works as a cheek contour and brow color for warm golden blondes, redheads and light warm brunettes, too. Versatile, albeit uninteresting as an overall lid color.

While Soft Brown is very useful and a no-thought color, I actually prefer Texture as a more statement making but still soft crease tone. Texture gives a Rodarte Spring 2012 caramel-sepia-light rust sort of look. While Rule is definitely orange on my skin, Texture is a hint of browned down orange that really gives my face a lovely lift.

So - if you have Soft Brown but find it a bit lackluster, try Texture.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This is a great warm light brown color but the formula is severely lacking. It's dry and doesn't apply easily like Bobbi Brown, for example. It also kind of sits on top of your skin (even applied lightly) rather than meshing with it. I'd rather spend a little more money and get a really great color and formula.
Update: I still wish this was smoother but I'm using it again and love how it wears without creasing. And the color is typical MAC - great.

on 5/2/2007 8:03:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have had this eyeshadow for years, and don't remember the last time I used it. (Crazy... right?) I don't think I liked it too much the first time I tried it, so I stuffed it in a drawer and basically forgot about it.Today, I wanted to try it with this look that I had in mind after watching Boston Legal last night. (One of the blue-eyed actresses had this amazing, eyeshadow-look going on... and even tho I'm hazel-eyed, I wanted to try and mimic it.) In an effort to create a similar look on me, I used Rite of Spring (LE) as a base from lashes to brows, Motif on lid to crease, and Soft Brown in crease and outer corners. I lined upper lids with MAC's Graphic Brown Fluidline, and lower lids with Bobbi Brown's gel liner in Bronze Shimmer. This was a nice, fresh, daytime look that would look even more stunning on blue eyes! But even without the aqua peepers, Soft Brown has suddenly become more appealing to me, and I will definitely be putting it to more use. It is not really "soft brown" as the name says, but more of a medium, peachy-brown. I don't know why I bought this a few years ago, but now I'm glad I did. :o) continued >>

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

This is my preferred transition colour over Uninterrupted. Soft Brown is appropriately named as it is a soft brown. It does have slight pink undertones (to me anyways) but it's not noticeable on my lids and I love using it for smokey eye looks. It's subtle and I don't have to worry about it looking obvious as other transition shadows can.
It's a my lid but better shade and if I want a very natural look, I'll use MAC's Layin' Low paint pot as a base with Soft Brown all over the lids.
For reference, I'm a NC30.
I wouldn't recommend it for NC40 skin tones or darker.

on 12/12/2014 12:06:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

A few months ago I dropped by Mac and asked a make up artist for an eye shadow that I could use a brow powder. The artist recommended Mac Soft Brown because he said it was reddish and would go with my (medium auburn colored hair). I was a tad skeptical when I made the purchase because while my hair has a definite auburn color, my brows have no red in them whatsoever. I do like the eye shadow soft brown and use it almost every day as the perfect s-o-f-t powder liner underneath my bottom lashes, about half way across. It definitely makes my eyes look more defined but in a soft and natural way, I also use this shadow lightly from my lids up to just above my cease. I smooth the shadow with my favorite eye blending brush from Stila.adow brush.

on 8/18/2012 12:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool

One of the best transition colors I've ever found! I recently purchased this shadow and wonder what took me so long. Guess I thought I already had too many that looked similar and figured it's easily duped. It's not. Ive been reaching for this everyday and find it provides a beautiful warmth to almost every look I try. Doesn't matter if Im wearing warm or cool tones...it works! For reference, I'm NW30. I like to wear this in the crease with a light wash of color on the lid for an easy, neutral, and polished day look. I also like to start with this color in my crease and blend it up toward my brow bone and find that any colors used after this just blend effortlessly with any look I'm going for. Soft brown is one of those veristle colors that harmonizes any look I'm trying to achieve. For me, this gets HG status and is a definite repurchase!

on 6/17/2011 5:07:00 AM

Well I've jumped on the Soft Brown wagon. After reading all the good reviews here I purchased this color about a month ago. I love love love it! It's a great crease color to transition lid color to brow highlight. I use it with LM Turquiose tightline, lorac turquiose "tempt me" and Vapour on the brow. Ditto satellite dreams with a chocolate BB eyeliner, Deep truth with BB indigo eyeliner, Soft Brown is HG crease color. I wear it everyday now to work; it softens shimmer/metallic lid/brow color with its matte finish and is a beautiful versatile peachy brown that goes with everything. May look bland in the pan but this shade is magical. Blends well with good pigmentation. A staple MAC color. Perfect!

This is the perfect neutral eyeshadow but it's not your typical brown. It's very rosy or tawny. I have brown eyes but I bet it would be stunning with blue or green eyes as well. It actually matches Urban Decay Paranoid BLUSH exactly. It's going to give you just a sunkissed look as opposed to shadow or definition. I pair this with MAC Powerpoint eyeliner in Buried Treasure or Duck for a really good, neutral daytime eye.