MAC Matte - Soft Brown

4.7

on 1/30/2012 4:15:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Been trying really hard to appreciate/like this shadow, but I think my tan is slightly too deep for this too look right. I have strong yellow/golden undertones, and Soft Brown's peachiness has this weird tone to it that makes me look sickly. I also have to pack this color on to get it to show up in the first place. I'm not sure why someone of my tone would pick this over Saddle, which is FAR more flattering and doesn't make me look sick at all. Chanel PL BA34/NC44/Nars Tahoe for reference.

on 10/9/2011 1:15:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

It's an okay crease color. Has an orangy cast in pictures. But other than that, it is a good quality eyeshadow overall, just not the color i expected. Anyone have any recs for a true light brown crease color, w/ no type of undertones?
=)

on 11/17/2010 7:30:00 PM

I've been using Wedge in my crease and thought Soft Brown would be nice as well. Unfortunately it's too orange for my skintone...I will try to use it as a transition color when I do smokey eyes and see if that works any better.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I, like many others, love this eyeshadow to blend out crease colors and have a more natural looking transition into my highlight color. I also like it occasionally as a wash on the lid. In the pan it doesn't look like anything special but he texture is very nice and it's well pigmented. This is a really great color to have in any collection and I will repurchase (if I ever run out).

on 5/2/2013 3:43:00 AM

Random fact: this is the shade used on Christina Hendricks when she plays Joan in Mad Men, so you know it is a pretty, classic shade.

It is definitely more of a transition color than one to use solo. I have paired it with Soba to tone down the orange if I feel like wearing brown shades (it sounds strange since Soba is a gold color with yellow undertones, but it really takes out Soft Brown's orange/red tones). This shadow also worked great as a transition color with Shadowy Lady (dark purple shade). Very versatile color and works with a lot of different skin tones.

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

For the longest time, I thought this eyeshadow was way too orange on me. However, the other day I wore it with "All that Glitters" eyeshadow on the lid and "Ricepaper" in the crease and the result was really beautiful, but understated. The eyeshadow blends very easily, as well. I would give this a five, but if it was a touch less orange and more brown, I would absolutely love it. I'm NC20.

I had this color for a while, I never get to use it, but recently I've been using it to make my smokey eyes even or I pair it with brule, this is a good transition color or just for everyday use, not too harsh and only gives a neutral look. It's not on my ignore list anymore because I use it almost everyday!

on 10/28/2010 6:57:00 PM

I'm just echoing the other glowing reviews for this shadow. It's wonderful as a crease color for a daytime, work-appropriate smokey eye. I find it a little hard to work with because it's matte, but this could be equally attributed to my lousy blending skills. In any case, this is a lovely color for N20 people.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Soft Brown is often overlooked because it's brown, and well... it can appear boring. Most people cannot figure out what to do with it, or they think they can find it anywhere for cheaper. You can't.... I've come across every brown known to man, and it still manage's to be "the one" I reach for every time. Some may know it can be used to blend out a smokey eye, or simply define the crease for that ultra natural day look. I would also use this paired with bright lips. It just adds that touch of definition you need. So some may say it's basic, but it has it's purpose. That's why it's permanent. ;)

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Not Sure

I brought this after watching a tutorial. The girl who did the tut was an NC45. I'm NC 50 so I thought I could pull it off. Had to edit this at first I hated this shadow. Now I love it I brought Groundwork paint pot and it works great now.