MAC Matte - Soft Brown

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

boring.

on 11/15/2010 8:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Sadly this did not last long in my collection. It was my first natural eye contour color from Mac, and I wanted it to work so bad. The reason it never did was that it's too orange-toned for my pale skin, therefore it makes my eyes appear unhealthy and irritated and it gives me an overall tired and sleepless look. Gave it to my best friend whose coloring is similar but it didn't seem to work on her either. I'm sure it would look great on slightly deeper skin tones (I'd say just up to NC/NW35 or else it won't show up), but I've now learnt to stay away from warm browns, either light, medium or dark. Won't repurchase.

on 3/14/2008 11:05:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This e/s is blah. It may be useful as an eyeshadow base otherwise, utterly useless.

One of MAC's boringest and ugliest colors. it wasn't 'brown' at all. it was more like peachy coraly brown. the hue was just off for me. It looked bad on my skin tone and made my eyes appear red and tired. I really hate this color and regret getting it. I suppose it works for a more natural look but it really just makes me look tired and like I cried all night.

Hate to ruin the streak of good reviews, but this color just does not work for extremely fair, cool skin. It's too peachy and warm to look natural in the crease. Wedge or Omega work much better to define the crease in a subtle, flattering way with my skintone (NW10). Perhaps I was using too much, but it honestly looked like I'd rubbed really hard with my blending brush an irritated my eyelid skin a bit after applying Soft Brown. Still, this shadow blends nicely. On more tan skin it would be very pretty and versatile judging from the reviews here.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

At first when I bought this, I regretted it. I bought it as an outer lid color, but it was pretty much the same color as my lid, and it was just a little darker, which was really annoying.

However, I also use embark as a crease color, and I noticed that embark was really pigmented, and sometimes I would put too much. It could also be tricky to blend. So that's where this eye shadow came in. I mix this and embark together for a perfect soft crease color, and I in general use it as a blending color for dark brown shadow. And it worked great for that purpose.

So I'm not regretting the bucks I spent for this, because this actually a very versatile color. If you're fair skinned, get this for your crease. If you're dark skinned, use it on your lid. And if you're neutral like me, use it as a blending color! I just may repurchase...

on 11/28/2010 3:34:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

At first I didn't know what to do with this shadow. It just seemed SO matte that it looked heavy on my lids. However, I discovered that it's an awesome crease colour with shimmery gold shadow on the lid. Really makes my green eyes POP and tones down the shimmery lid colour. I like this with Gold Mode pigment and Stila Sun or Oasis e/s especially.

on 7/17/2010 1:49:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

Love it as a crease colour, blending colour or even a brow colour in my more reddish days. it's a real soft brown with a tad of orange. I really like this!

I bought this after I had tried Kid e/s in an eyeshadow palette. I tend to favor browns on my eyes (dark brown), but they're too neutral and look almost 'dirty'. This didn't! It's a warm, medium peachy-brown color that goes perfectly with everything. Matte finish, doesn't crease or fade. I tend to favor more natural shades for a daytime look, so I wear Soft Brown at night and Bamboo (reviewed) during the day. I took off a lippie for the packaging; pot shadows aren't very portable (the shadow itself always seems to crack in my makeup bag).

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

After having not so great results with other matte eye shadows from MAC I was very hesitant to purchase this but everyone kept raving on about it so I took the plunge and picked this up. And I have to say... It sure has impressed me! Such a beautiful texture, pigmented and easy to blend. I use this in my crease when I'm going for a warm look and it's just perfect. I have an olive complexion, NC37-40 right now and it just shows up perfectly on me as a warm brown with a slight pink tone which aids in blending out my other eye shadows as well as the perfect everyday simple 'throw on' eye shadow when I can't be bothered.

I would highly recommend this shade for anyone up to NC40 possibly NC42, any darker and I don't think it will show up well. I will be forever repurchasing.