MAC Matte - Soft Brown

MAC Matte - Soft Brown

4.6

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

After having not so great results with other matte eye shadows from MAC I was very hesitant to purchase this but everyone kept raving on about it so I took the plunge and picked this up. And I have to say... It sure has impressed me! Such a beautiful texture, pigmented and easy to blend. I use this in my crease when I'm going for a warm look and it's just perfect. I have an olive complexion, NC37-40 right now and it just shows up perfectly on me as a warm brown with a slight pink tone which aids in blending out my other eye shadows as well as the perfect everyday simple 'throw on' eye shadow when I can't be bothered.

I would highly recommend this shade for anyone up to NC40 possibly NC42, any darker and I don't think it will show up well. I will be forever repurchasing.

on 3/12/2014 9:13:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I'm loving this eyeshadow. Its my new crease colour and warms up the eye. It can be used with so many colour combos & looks. It completely changes the look of my eye in one quick application to the crease. I use it to transition from my brow highlight in brule to my lid colour in all that glitters. Then i use embark to deepen the look. Ill definitely repurchase when i run out

on 12/25/2013 9:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I am OBSESSED with soft brown. For reference: NC15-20, brown hair, blue-green eyes.

I use this color as my ultimate transition shade. I put it on first before any other shadows, especially when I'm doing a crease. It is a great problem solver with any blending issue that I come across. I just grab a blending brush, use some soft brown, and everything is ok again.

To me, soft brown looks very warm, almost like an orangey/reddish brown in the pan, but on the lids it i just the perfect light brown shade, and is something that you don't think you need until you own it.

on 12/15/2013 12:51:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I can't believe I waited so long to buy this shadow! I'm flipping in love with Soft Brown! The shade is the most beautiful, soft, light peachy brown, with a wonderful soft, silky matte finish. I LOVE using Soft Brown on all over my lid and then up into my crease area with a 217 or 224 brush. If you're an NC25 or darker, I would say that it really is the most perfect warm transition shade to really warm up the eye without being obvious that it's there. However, if you're more fair or have cool toned skin, I could see Soft Brown being potentially too orange on your skin, of course, it depends on application and your personal preferences. I'm an NC30-35 and think it adds the slightest bit of warmth, I can also get away with wearing this on it's own with just some highlighter on my brow bone as a warm, natural look, but I can see why most people would see Soft Brown solely as a transition shade, since it is quite orange, but if you're skin is warm enough, you could totally use this as a lid shade. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a natural, light, matte colour. ** Please be advised that this shadow is QUITE peachy and slightly orange, Soft Brown is NOT a neutral, it is warm! So if you prefer cooler shades, you should probably look for an alternative cooler or more neutral brown, like Cork or Wedge.

on 11/13/2013 12:12:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Over the past year there has rarely been a product thta truly amazed me. I was uncertain if Soft Brown would pull orange on me but Oh My it's amazing. So gorgeous. Besides Quarry this is my favorite MAC eyeshadow so far. Both make fantastic crease colors for my brown eyes but I find SB a little more blendable,

on 10/15/2013 5:47:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I originally bought this color as a filler for my eyebrows (apparently I have "soft brown" hair), but it's also a pretty nice crease color. It's too dark on my NW20 skin to be much else, but it's a pretty, ashy/neutral brown.

on 7/28/2013 11:03:00 PM

I bought this probably about 5-6 months ago, so I've had plenty of time to play around with it. Anyways, I didn't really need much time to fall in love with this shade. It's a beautiful warm brown, and it's a perfect transition color if you're looking to warm up your look a little bit. I like using this with Vanilla and Corduroy, I find this combination just beautiful.

The texture is super soft and easy to blend, and it is not chalky at all which is great for a matte shade.

Overall, I think this is a great addition to anyone's collection, and I think it would get a lot of use!
Highly recommend!

on 7/10/2013 10:40:00 PM

I was hesitant at first to buy Soft Brown (matte eyeshadow) which looks boring and orangey in the pan. I was not convinced it would work with my MAC Eclair and Constructivist paint pots as a transition colour, however once I put the two together, the results were absolutely beautiful. Soft brown is the perfect transition colour to warm up the look, it is not an eyeshadow to be worn over the lid or on it's own. The texture is fantastic, great pigmentation and this will last ages! I highly recommend it, it really completes an eye look.

I love to use this as a crease color for everyone with a fair to medium skin tone!!! I use it pretty much every day. I feel like everyone needs a little bit of a peachy brown in their crease.

on 6/24/2013 10:32:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

This. This. This! This eyeshadow is hands down, the BEST transition colour I have ever laid my eyeshadow-hungry eyes on! Mac's Soft Brown is a beautiful, warm, medium brown shade that will give you just the right amount of definition.
Pretty much every time I apply eyeshadow, I'll throw on a base (Mac's Painterly paint pot), then pop this colour all throughout my crease, diffusing it up toward my brown bone with a nice fluffy brush. It's light enough to conceal any blending faults, but it definitely shows up on my NC37 skin.
I looove pairing this with Woodwinked and Mulch for a warm, bronzed look, which really brings out the green and yellow flecks in my eyes. If you have dark brown, hazel, or green eyes, this colour would be perfect for you. Even you blue eyed gals out there, soft brown will bring a warm contrast to your cooler toned eyes.
If you're just starting out with Mac, or if you're on the hunt for a blending colour, Soft Brown is a great one to go for.