Aubrey Organics Green Tea Hair Treatment Shampoo

Aubrey Organics Green Tea Hair Treatment Shampoo

4.2

Not tested on animals

Water (Deionized), Coconut Oil (Corn Oil Soap), Green Tea Extract (Organic), Green Tea (Organic), Nettle (Organic), Grain Alcohol (Natural), Aloe Vera (Organic), Carrageenan, Lemon Peel Oil (Organic), Almond Protein, Blue Camomile Oil (Organic), Aubrey's Preservative (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamin A, C, E)

I'm reviewing the Aubrey Organics Green Tea Clarifying Shampoo, which I'll shorten to GTCS.

I'll agree with Aubrey that this shampoo is "fast acting." It rinses the grease away in no time and is a good product to use when short on time b/c the rinsing part is unbelievably quick.

What I won't agree with is it "reduces drying time" as stated on the US-version bottle. My hair took a very long time to dry if no conditioner is used (the norm for me).

I really loved GTCS and used it consistently for about a year b/c it's hard to find a clarifying shampoo that lives up to its claim. My hair felt clean and looked on the dry side--exactly what I want! I don't like clarifying shampoos that make my hair look and feel unwashed.

But during that time I started to notice on my no-shampoo days that my scalp was persistently itchy. I thought that was normal due to the build-up of oil so I ended up using GTCS again to get rid of the grease, but the itchiness always came back. (Perhaps subconsciously I did suspect this shampoo as the culprit, but b/c I loved its cleansing power so much I could never bring myself to search for another clarifying shampoo.)

Finally I had a revelation as to what caused the itchiness when a new bottle of GTCS was opened. This particular bottle was stored away for several months and the shampoo inside looked and smelled different from the previous ones I'd bought. Although the colour was deep brown and the smell was pungent, I still used it b/c there was no other clarifying shampoo on hand plus I didn't know of any other reliable alternatives in drugstores or health food stores. Also I didn't think anything bad could happen.

After every usage my scalp was extremely itchy right away. A point was reached where I had to abandon this bottle of shampoo even though my scalp desperately needed a deep cleanse.

I've concluded that if a rancid bottle of GTCS could make my scalp itch on level 10, then it's very reasonable for me to believe it was the fresh bottles of GTCS that gave me the persistent level-5 itch.

Anyway, I've stopped using this shampoo for several months now. My scalp is not as itchy as it once was, but it does get itchy when my hair's not been washed (that was the norm for me before using GTCS).

Not surprisingly I don't recommend this product, but if you're still interested try buying a bottle that's as fresh as possible, preferably from iherb.com since their inventory turnover rate is very high. There's no expiration date stamped on Aubrey's bottles so you'll have no clue how fresh the shampoo is in-store.

Another tip is the colour of the shampoo: if it's caramel or light yellowish-brown, it's fresh. But since all Aubrey shampoos and conditioners have a safety-seal and the bottle's not see-through, this little tip won't matter if you're buying it in-store.

Ingredients: DEIONIZED WATER, COCONUT OIL-CORN OIL SOAP, ORGANIC GREEN TEA EXTRACT (ORGANIC GREEN TEA, ORGANIC NETTLE, NATURAL GRAIN ALCOHOL), ORGANIC ALOE VERA, CARRAGEENAN, ORGANIC LEMON PEEL OIL, ALMOND PROTEIN, ORGANIC BLUE CAMOMILE OIL, AUBREY'S PRESERVATIVE (CITRUS SEED EXTRACT, VITAMINS A, C, and E).

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

So far I'm pretty impressed. I suffer from an oily,oily scalp, but with super dry ends. My hair needs to be washed EVERYDAY no question. I alternate and use this one every 3 days. To be able to find an all natural shampoo that lathers well, really cleans, doesn't smell god awful, and leave it shiny, this is a winner I'll keep in my bathroom.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My hair gets so oily that I have to wash it daily. Another concern is hairloss which. Shampoos that controlled oil led to more hairloss and hairloss controlling shampoo didn't help the oil. I have been using this shampoo for about 2 weeks now and I am so pleased. It rinses super clean but doesn't dry out my hair. It is very concentrated so a little goes a long way.

After 24 hours, my scalp is still clean! I've gone a day and a half without washing and don't feel like the usual greasy mess. I'm hoping that regular use will eventually allow me to wash my hair every other day. 1 day and a half seems to be my limit right now. And the best part? I'm losing less hair!

on 5/30/2010 1:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool

I love this shampoo! It saved my hair. I was using l'oreal elvive range prior to using this which is laden with chemicals. It caused me massive hair loss but this shampoo saved my hair :) I massage coconut oil into my scalp as pre-cleanse 2-3 times a week and mixture of jojoba oil + castor oil + lavender oil + rosemary oil once a week as treatment. And this clarifying shampoo does it's job well removing the oils from my scalp :) This combo definitely reduced my hair loss tremendously. I see how it might leave hair feeling like straw to some but unless if you have oily scalp, this would help a lot :) This product has some herbal smell, the consistency is watery and the colour is clear brown. Oh, it also doesn't lather as well as the chemical shampoos but I'm fine with it :)

on 11/30/2008 6:48:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I have been using this shampoo for a couple of months and think it is pretty decent. I water it down and add about 10 drop of pure 100% almond oil. There is no build up what so ever and it has caused NO scalp irritation which is a major plus, that said however i still have a modrately dry/flaky scalp. I have highlighted/lowlighted hair and i have not noticed any stripping or distortion of my colour. the smell is mild and not overpowering like the other aubrey shampoo,s i have used.
I got it at the Vitamin Shoppe
Price $8/325ml

on 6/26/2003 6:24:00 PM

I find this line of products to be extremely hit-or-miss -- some products are just disappointing, but some are really fantastic, with the added bonus of containing no synthetic or possibly-carcinogenic ingredients. I haven't had great luck with all-natural shampoos (those containing no synthetic ingredients at all), with two exceptions. One is John Masters Zinc & Sage shampoo, which I love. The other is this green tea shampoo. Most all-natural shampoos, in my experience, don't lather much, and though I know in my heart that lather isn't necessary, I can't really enjoy a shampoo without it. I have tried and rejected other Aubrey Organics and John Masters shampoos for this reason. But this particular shampoo is nice -- it has an abundant, soft, creamy lather that is easy to work through thick hair and leaves it extremely soft and silky. It has a very subtle, fresh green tea scent. This line of haircare isn't nearly as cool or elegant as the John Masters line, but the quality is outstanding. continued >>

To be honest, I bought this because it was the first clarifying shampoo I saw. A few days ago I tried the coconut oil mask where you coat your entire hair and scalp in coconut oil and let it stay for an hour or more. I tried washing all the oil out but some, being extremely stubborn, decided to stay and give my hair a very greasy and oily look for a few days no matter how much shampoo, or how hard I scrubbed.

So then I went to a store and found this. The price was pretty high and I wasn't too sure if I wanted to spend so much on a shampoo but nonetheless I bought it. It was all organic so that was a plus to me. Honestly the packaging was quite dull to me BUT it did however provide a lot of useful information on the back which I thought was great. It tells you about how to use it, what's best to follow it with, the benefits some of the ingredients grant, and all of the ingredients.

I think you have to shake it first to really allow everything to mix in together. It does lather quite well and the smell isn't my favourite but it is a little...musky? The color is a orange-brown sort of shade. It's definitely not coated in any chemicals to make it smell like flowers or sunshine. I find that the smell doesn't linger in your hair very much which I thought was good since I didn't really enjoy it too much. It did, however, clean up all the leftover oil WHICH I WAS SO GLAD ABOUT. My hair just felt so much cleaner after using it.

I made the mistake of using it daily so it made my hair feel quite...plasticy? or straw-like. BUT i will continue to use it maybe on a weekly or monthly bases to clean up all the dirt and oil.

on 3/15/2014 12:47:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Love this shampoo in combination with the conitioner/cream rinse.

My hair: straight with a little waive at ends, thick and voluminous, somewhat frizzy, black colour, Indian hair, and oily scalp.

The shampoo: smells like men's cologne, thin, and lathers well (if you're into this -i don't really care about lather as long as my hair is getting clean) for a "green" shampoo when using more than needed.

Results: hair and oily scalp are very clean after using this "clarifying" shampoo, which i love since i can extend the time of beautiful hair between washings. but, in the shower, my hair does feel a little dry/stripped and it is noticeably a little tangly, so the conditioner seems like a must. so, don't know how my hair will be in the long run with this shampoo (it might be too stripping to use solely) especially if not using a conditioner which i like to do for long periods of time. however, i can say that in combination with the conditioner (which i've reviewed as well), for now, my hair is soft, looks full, is shinier (definitely due to the conditioner), and smells great until the next wash. Update: with this combo, i don't get the very itchy, oily, and flaky scalp i used to with other products. and, another bonus is that the scent really lasts in the hair (and, seems to transform into something "sweeter" smelling and more feminine with age), which is just lovely, unlike many other products i've used.

Bought this because: it's vegan, it's not tested on animals, it's "natural," and (mostly?) organic.

Botton Line: the shampoo/conditioner combo is actually the best combo i've ever used when looking at the many things i look for.

Price: ~14 + tax from Well.ca. Expensive!

on 3/6/2014 3:05:00 PM

This shampoo is amazing!!!I have oily roots/scalp and I have to wash my hair very often.I have tryed so many products without effect. thanks to the all good reviews that I read here I decided to purchase it and I am really surprised.It makes my hair so clean and soft.Definitely this is my favourite shampoo.

on 11/22/2013 8:05:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I cannot get used to this shampoo.
I have fine long hair with oily roots and dry ends and seb. dermatitis now and then.
I am on the search for a good sulfate free shampoo that keeps my scalp in balance.
This is very hard to use in the shower. It is difficult to spread evenly over the scalp, I have the feeling that it stays in one place too much, it doesn't foam a lot (but that is no real problem, it becomes better when adding some extra water while I massage it in).
The problem is that because it doesn't spread easily you have too massage too much what makes the hair a tangly mess.

When out of the shower it is soo hard to detangle the top of my hair (for the bottom I use conditioner, so that is okay). I have the feeling that, because of the cleansing process and the detangling, my hair breaks too much and I am loosing too much hair.

Besides that my hair looks nice and shiny and my scalp is okay (doesn't heal my scalp, but doesn't make it worse either).
So very mixed feelings. I have used it for 3 weeks now and will maybe finish the bottle (or use it as a hand soap), but will not buy again.

Popular Shampoos