Aubrey Organics Green Tea Hair Treatment Shampoo

Filtered by age: 25-29
Aubrey Organics Green Tea Hair Treatment Shampoo

4.3

Not tested on animals

Water (Deionized), Coconut Oil (Corn Oil Soap), Green Tea Extract (Organic), Green Tea (Organic), Nettle (Organic), Grain Alcohol (Natural), Aloe Vera (Organic), Carrageenan, Lemon Peel Oil (Organic), Almond Protein, Blue Camomile Oil (Organic), Aubrey's Preservative (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamin A, C, E)

on 3/15/2014 12:47:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Love this shampoo in combination with the conitioner/cream rinse.

My hair: straight with a little waive at ends, thick and voluminous, somewhat frizzy, black colour, Indian hair, and oily scalp.

The shampoo: smells like men's cologne, thin, and lathers well (if you're into this -i don't really care about lather as long as my hair is getting clean) for a "green" shampoo when using more than needed.

Results: hair and oily scalp are very clean after using this "clarifying" shampoo, which i love since i can extend the time of beautiful hair between washings. but, in the shower, my hair does feel a little dry/stripped and it is noticeably a little tangly, so the conditioner seems like a must. so, don't know how my hair will be in the long run with this shampoo (it might be too stripping to use solely) especially if not using a conditioner which i like to do for long periods of time. however, i can say that in combination with the conditioner (which i've reviewed as well), for now, my hair is soft, looks full, is shinier (definitely due to the conditioner), and smells great until the next wash. Update: with this combo, i don't get the very itchy, oily, and flaky scalp i used to with other products. and, another bonus is that the scent really lasts in the hair (and, seems to transform into something "sweeter" smelling and more feminine with age), which is just lovely, unlike many other products i've used.

Bought this because: it's vegan, it's not tested on animals, it's "natural," and (mostly?) organic.

Botton Line: the shampoo/conditioner combo is actually the best combo i've ever used when looking at the many things i look for.

Price: ~14 + tax from Well.ca. Expensive!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

So far I'm pretty impressed. I suffer from an oily,oily scalp, but with super dry ends. My hair needs to be washed EVERYDAY no question. I alternate and use this one every 3 days. To be able to find an all natural shampoo that lathers well, really cleans, doesn't smell god awful, and leave it shiny, this is a winner I'll keep in my bathroom.

I'm reviewing the Aubrey Organics Green Tea Clarifying Shampoo, which I'll shorten to GTCS.

I'll agree with Aubrey that this shampoo is "fast acting." It rinses the grease away in no time and is a good product to use when short on time b/c the rinsing part is unbelievably quick.

What I won't agree with is it "reduces drying time" as stated on the US-version bottle. My hair took a very long time to dry if no conditioner is used (the norm for me).

I really loved GTCS and used it consistently for about a year b/c it's hard to find a clarifying shampoo that lives up to its claim. My hair felt clean and looked on the dry side--exactly what I want! I don't like clarifying shampoos that make my hair look and feel unwashed.

But during that time I started to notice on my no-shampoo days that my scalp was persistently itchy. I thought that was normal due to the build-up of oil so I ended up using GTCS again to get rid of the grease, but the itchiness always came back. (Perhaps subconsciously I did suspect this shampoo as the culprit, but b/c I loved its cleansing power so much I could never bring myself to search for another clarifying shampoo.)

Finally I had a revelation as to what caused the itchiness when a new bottle of GTCS was opened. This particular bottle was stored away for several months and the shampoo inside looked and smelled different from the previous ones I'd bought. Although the colour was deep brown and the smell was pungent, I still used it b/c there was no other clarifying shampoo on hand plus I didn't know of any other reliable alternatives in drugstores or health food stores. Also I didn't think anything bad could happen.

After every usage my scalp was extremely itchy right away. A point was reached where I had to abandon this bottle of shampoo even though my scalp desperately needed a deep cleanse.

I've concluded that if a rancid bottle of GTCS could make my scalp itch on level 10, then it's very reasonable for me to believe it was the fresh bottles of GTCS that gave me the persistent level-5 itch.

Anyway, I've stopped using this shampoo for several months now. My scalp is not as itchy as it once was, but it does get itchy when my hair's not been washed (that was the norm for me before using GTCS).

Not surprisingly I don't recommend this product, but if you're still interested try buying a bottle that's as fresh as possible, preferably from iherb.com since their inventory turnover rate is very high. There's no expiration date stamped on Aubrey's bottles so you'll have no clue how fresh the shampoo is in-store.

Another tip is the colour of the shampoo: if it's caramel or light yellowish-brown, it's fresh. But since all Aubrey shampoos and conditioners have a safety-seal and the bottle's not see-through, this little tip won't matter if you're buying it in-store.

Ingredients: DEIONIZED WATER, COCONUT OIL-CORN OIL SOAP, ORGANIC GREEN TEA EXTRACT (ORGANIC GREEN TEA, ORGANIC NETTLE, NATURAL GRAIN ALCOHOL), ORGANIC ALOE VERA, CARRAGEENAN, ORGANIC LEMON PEEL OIL, ALMOND PROTEIN, ORGANIC BLUE CAMOMILE OIL, AUBREY'S PRESERVATIVE (CITRUS SEED EXTRACT, VITAMINS A, C, and E).

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This shampoo is a must if you have oily hair or use a lot of styling products. The other reviewers have covered most everything, including the herbal smell and liquidy consistency. From my experience, it should not be used more than once a week because it does such a super job of clarifying. It leaves my hair kind of tangly and strawlike, but it's not a problem since I always follow up with a conditioner. I will continue to purchase this shampoo because it does what it claims and is all natural. 4.5 lippies

on 12/28/2009 6:06:00 PM

This is a very liquidy brownish-greenish shampoo with a funky herbal tea scent. It also lathers up a ton. It takes some work (due to how dense the lather is), but it rinses cleanly and leaves hair clean but not stripped. I don't think this does a better or worse job at deep-cleaning than most other clarifying shampoos out there, but I love the completely natural ingredients (everything is recognizable) and fair price. I'd definitely repurchase this.

I think this is my HG shampoo. It has natural ingredients and does a great job of cleaning hair! I have oily hair that usually gets weighed down with cones and gets greasy really easily. This shampoo lathers up pretty well for a natural shampoo. It does look a bit scary - it is a brown watery liquid with an herbal like smell. The smell doesn't stay. I've also tried the GPB shampoo (which i strongly disliked). This one I like so much that I bought 2 extra bottles when I saw them on sale - and I never rebuy shampoo!! Leaves my hair clean (but not squeaky clean) - just what a shampoo should do! I use this everyday and it doesn't seem to dry my hair out.

on 3/18/2009 9:35:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Very nice natural clarifying shampoo, smells good too. I think I can only use this once a week but I guess that's what it's meant for, not daily use even though it's natural. This lathers up really well, you don't need very much as others have said. My hair feels really clean after using this. J.A.Y shampoo is the only other Aubrey shampoo I love, I've used this for years along with a couple other natural shampoo brands.

on 1/13/2009 8:02:00 PM

This is the best "natural" shampoo I've tried. It lathers well and it doesn't give my hair that knotty, squeaky-clean feeling before I condition. My hair feels very light after using this, but not dry at all. In fact, I find this less drying than Aubrey's Honeysuckle Rose shampoo - I switch between the two. Sometimes I follow with the Green Tea conditioner, other times the Honeysuckle Rose. I love that AO products don't contain the potentially harmful ingredients or parabens most cosmetics contain, and that they aren't tested on animals. This product is also vegan. It has a fresh, herbal tea scent - yummy if you like that sort of thing, which I do! AO packaging is not glamorous, but I think it's sort of cute in a 70's-earthy way. This is not only the best "natural" clarifying shampoo I've used, it's the best clarifying shampoo of any sort that I've used.

on 6/26/2003 6:24:00 PM

I find this line of products to be extremely hit-or-miss -- some products are just disappointing, but some are really fantastic, with the added bonus of containing no synthetic or possibly-carcinogenic ingredients. I haven't had great luck with all-natural shampoos (those containing no synthetic ingredients at all), with two exceptions. One is John Masters Zinc & Sage shampoo, which I love. The other is this green tea shampoo. Most all-natural shampoos, in my experience, don't lather much, and though I know in my heart that lather isn't necessary, I can't really enjoy a shampoo without it. I have tried and rejected other Aubrey Organics and John Masters shampoos for this reason. But this particular shampoo is nice -- it has an abundant, soft, creamy lather that is easy to work through thick hair and leaves it extremely soft and silky. It has a very subtle, fresh green tea scent. This line of haircare isn't nearly as cool or elegant as the John Masters line, but the quality is outstanding. continued >>