La Mer The Refining Facial

La Mer The Refining Facial
The Refining FacialThe Refining FacialThe Refining Facial

3.7

2018 Ingredient Listing: Declustered Water ( )\Aqua\Eau De-Structuree ( ), Kaolin, Calcium Carbonate, Butylene Glycol, Stearic Acid, Isododecane, Jojoba Esters, Silica, Cetyl Alcohol, Bentonite, Algae (Seaweed) Extract, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil, Medicago Sativa (Alfalfa) Seed Powder, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seedcake, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Seed Meal, Eucalyptus Globulus (Eucalyptus) Leaf Oil, Sodium Gluconate, Copper Gluconate, Calcium Gluconate, Magnesium Gluconate, Zinc Gluconate, Tocopheryl Succinate, Niacin, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Powder, Tourmaline, Potassium Hydroxide, Sea Salt\Maris Sal\Sel Marin, Quartz, Humic Acids, Cellulose, Macrocystis Pyrifera (Kelp) Protein, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Peel Oil, Diamond Powder, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Chlorella Vulgaris Extract, Mentha Viridis (Spearmint), Citrus Limonum (Lemon) California, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Peg-100 Stearate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Methyldihydrojasmonate, Sodium Lactate, Oleth-3 Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Sorbitan Stearate, Glyceryl Stearate, Disodium Edta, Sorbic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Limonene, Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891), Yellow 5 (Ci 19140), Green 5 (Ci 61570) ********Ingredients: Declustered Water ( )/Aqua/Eau De-Structuree ( ), Kaolin, Calcium Carbonate, Butylene Glycol, Isododecane, Stearic Acid, Lauryl Methacrylate/Glycol Dimethacrylate Crosspolymer, Cetyl Alcohol, Bentonite, Dimethicone, Sea Salt/Maris Sal/Sel Marin, Quartz, Humic Acids, Cellulose, Macrocystis Pyrifera (Kelp) Protein, Diamond Powder, Tourmaline, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Chlorella Vulgaris Extract, Mentha Viridis (Spearmint), Citrus Limonum (Lemon) California, Hydrogenated Lecithin, PEG-100 Stearate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Methyldihydrojasmonate, Sodium Lactate, Methylcellulose, Citrus, Grandis (Grapefruit California), Oleth-3 Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Sorbitan Stearate, Glyceryl Stearate, Potassium Stearate, Limonene, Disodium Edta, Sorbic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Guanine (CI 75170), Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Green 5 (CI 61570)

on 10/15/2018 6:46:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

This was my first La Mer purchase and oh boy what a huge rip off! The tube is quite big and has a screw top lid which is quite heavy but the tub is plastic. It's a scrub that you leave on as a mask and then wash off or wipe off with a flannel. First of all it leaves a horrible white residue that is hard to remove, you have to wash your face again. Also it does nothing, by this I mean that usually when you apply a mask you expect some brightness, some plumpness or your skin to feel soft (especially if you pay £75 for the tube) This literally does nothing! My skin feels and looks exactly the same as it does before application. The next day I get horrible pimples on my cheeks where I have open pores, it's almost as if all this mask does is block pores. I never get spots on this area unless I use something like silicone primers and pore blocking products. All in all a waste of money and time and La Mer have discontinued this product. I'm now stuck with a £75 scrub that ruins my face and I then have to use the body shop tea tree mask to clear up my skin.

The refining facial from LA MER is one of the few products from LA MER that I actually dislike. The formula and texture itself is that of toothpaste.minty smelling, green clay. The product is an exfoliant, to be used once weekly or whenever needed. I usually use this once a week though not anymore. This product is a complete waste of money. First of all, the pieces of tourmaline or abrasive agents are uneven and if used too vigorously can cut into skin, not good! Also the effect is deceiving, this product contains a large amount of clay, therefore when rinsing it leaves behind a slightly visible cast of white clay on the face that makes it appear to look even and bright(similar to the look you have when you wear sunscreens with zinc or titanium in them). You can never truly rinse off this product thoroughly, you will to go in again with your cleanser, in this case LA MER cleansing foam or gel to get the residue off. I took this back to several LA MER counters and all consultants said the exact same thing, you need to use the cleanser to get it off. No thank you! The last thing you want to do with something this expensive is rinse again with your cleanser. Also the effect isn't worthwhile. You can find similar results from any cheap facial scrub at your local pharmacy or drugstore. Don't waste your money on this product. The smell is minty and like toothpaste. I wish all of LA MER's products smelled exactly the same, along with some of the body products and the lip balm they all share this strange minty scent that is not all that refreshing. This has now been reformulated and is called 'Replenishing Oil Exfoliator' which utilises non sea polluting sea salt flakes and sugar crystals. I will post a review on that product very soon after testing.

on 3/8/2018 2:21:00 AM

It is a white clay (Kaolin) based mask/scrub with jojoba-beads that provides gentle exfoliation.
It has some impressive actives, however, the contact time of the product with the skin is too short to have any benefits of these ingredients.
The jojoba-beads in the formula are small enough for being gentle on the delicate facial skin yet will provide adequate exfoliation with immediate and visible results. Because of the size of the beads and the composition of the formula, it is suitable for sensitive and acne-prone skin too, provided that one does not over-exfoliate the skin by using the product too often.

It is an excellent, easy to apply and very gentle facial scrub, however the price is outrageous.

The formula is similar to the now discontinued Clear Difference Mask from Estee Lauder, who also owns La Mer. This latter product has more emollients and will provide more hydration and will be less drying on the skin than the one from La Mer. Additionally, it has Salicylic Acid for an additional exfoliation. It is also half of the price compared to La Mer.

The product is now unfortunately out of production and being replaced by The Replenishing Oil Exfoliator for face launching May 1st 2018. Will retail around £85/$95 (USD). It is a heavier exfoliator both the formula and the more coarse exfoliating agents, making it less suitable for sensitive and/or acne-prone skin. (See separate review.)

Ingredient Listing: Declustered Water (+)\Aqua\Eau De-Structuree (+), Kaolin, Calcium Carbonate, Butylene Glycol, Stearic Acid, Isododecane, Jojoba Esters, Silica, Cetyl Alcohol, Bentonite, Algae (Seaweed) Extract, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil, Medicago Sativa (Alfalfa) Seed Powder, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seedcake, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Seed Meal, Eucalyptus Globulus (Eucalyptus) Leaf Oil, Sodium Gluconate, Copper Gluconate, Calcium Gluconate, Magnesium Gluconate, Zinc Gluconate, Tocopheryl Succinate, Niacin, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Powder, Tourmaline, Potassium Hydroxide, Sea Salt\Maris Sal\Sel Marin, Quartz, Humic Acids, Cellulose, Macrocystis Pyrifera (Kelp) Protein, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Peel Oil, Diamond Powder, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Chlorella Vulgaris Extract, Mentha Viridis (Spearmint), Citrus Limonum (Lemon) California, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Peg-100 Stearate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Methyldihydrojasmonate, Sodium Lactate, Oleth-3 Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Sorbitan Stearate, Glyceryl Stearate, Disodium Edta, Sorbic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Limonene, Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891), Yellow 5 (Ci 19140), Green 5 (Ci 61570)

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

The best face scrub I have ever used! Diamond powder exfoliates without damaging the skin. My skin is softer and brighter after using this product.

For reference, I have combination, acne prone skin. I ran out of a scrub, so my mom let me use this.
I use this weekly after I come out of the sauna. First I cleanse with my biotherm pure fect cleanser, then I use this.
I apply it to my skin while it is slightly damp. I then massage it into my skin gently in circular motion for about a minute. Then I leave it on for 5 minutes, and then I wash it off and continue with my skin regimen (ie toning and moisturizing).
This. Is. Amazing. It doesn't make my skin any more oily, and it has helped with my breakouts. My pores look smaller. My skin looks so healthy and radiant. I've been wearing less makeup. This is fantastic. You don't need too much, and even though it's expensive, i lasts sooo long. I took a lippie off for the price, but I guess that's the price you have to pay for perfect skin. :) Yes, I'd buy this.

on 4/26/2012 12:04:00 AM

This product was reformulated a couple of years ago to have fewer sparkly bits in it, and whatever is now in there rinses away, whereas before they stayed around no matter how much you rinsed. The other change is that it doesn't leave the skin white like the old one did, some people liked that, not me, so i win on both accounts. : ). I love this scrub, it is not harsh at all but it has plenty of exfoliants, it is also in a clay base which is perfect for my combo skin. Unlike the amazing amazing amazing Awake brand Clay Wash that is an exfoliator also in a clay base, this one can be difficult to use on very wet skin, the less water you have on your skin when you apply it the better. I don't use it nearly every night, maybe 2-3x max, sometimes just once a week, so even though it's expensive it lasts quite a while. 4.5 stars.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I received a very generous sample after I've bought classic creme. I have very fair normal skin, and usually I don't exfoliate 'cause all the scrubs I tried were too harsh for me and made me feel uncomfortable. This leaves my skin even and baby soft and smells like pure sweet mint. Will buy the full size.

on 10/23/2011 11:23:00 PM

After purchasing a few other items from the La Mer, the sales associate made me a small sample of the Refining Facial. I've been using Chanel's Perfection Luminiere foundation which is less forgiving than my other foundations and unless my skin is perfectly hydrated and smooth it will show every bump. In comes La Mer's Refining Facial to save the day.

I apply a pea size amount to a damp face and massaging the clay based scrub into my skin in circular motions. After 2 minutes I rinse, pat dry and moisturize with La Mer cream. Even days after using the scrub my skin feels AMAZINGLY soft! I use clarisonic daily, but never before refining facial has my skin felt so soft.

I will definitely purchase the scrub once my sample runs out. Hopefully it lines up with a good GWP so I can get some perks for spending the $$.

My mom is a big fan of the creme so i got this for my super sensitive skin, it is very light so i was wondering if it would work, the first time i used it i saw absolutely no difference, only a white film on my face, but after reading some reviews i decided to give it a try in a different way, now i use it once a week after shower, i massage my face and get dressed while it dries, after that i rinse it and i go to bed, at morning most of the the white film is gong and my skin is baby soft, i ilove this!

on 9/7/2011 7:19:00 AM

Well, I finally forked out the 99Euro for this scrub, as I had tried it at the CDLM counter and loved the feel of it on my hand. The SA gave me two good sized samples of the Eye Balm Intense, and the Moisturising Lotion, as well. The scrub is to die for. I have used it three times now and my skin is like a baby's bum. My husband has commented on it. He used it last night and was raving about the softness of his skin this morning. Well, the proof of the pudding.... I would really recommend it, if you have some money to spare. The eye balm sample I got is lovely as well, but it is too expensive, I think, to justify it. The moisturising lotion is so far so good, and used with the scrub, I think one would stay young forever. If only.....