Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC) 50% Glycolic Peel

Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC)  50% Glycolic Peel

4.6

Glycolic Acid, Deionized Water, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Witch Hazel, Glycerin, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Chloride, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.

on 4/20/2016 12:16:00 PM

Unfortunately, I didn't see the results that everyone is raving about.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I have oily, overproductive, sensitive skin; for me, this is just a really good exfoliation, better than scrubs or skincare brushes. I've noticed a slight improvement in the appearance of my skin, but the most dramatic effect is how soft it *feels* - I catch myself petting my face a couple of times a day. While the instructions say to apply the acid solution with your fingertips, I suggest using a cotton pad or whatever you're using to apply the pH prep, because it's a very runny liquid. The most important thing (other than keeping it out of your eyes) is being careful to remove the peel completely. The acid combines with the pH prep to make a kind of film on your face, and if you don't get it all off, you could end up with a chemical burn! (I did, and it healed fine after a couple of days, but I do have overproductive skin.)

To Read all 52 Reviews, Login or Join

on 3/4/2016 4:03:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I use this once a week, leave it on for max. 10 minutes before washing off with their Green Tea cleanser. I finally understand what it means to have "bouncy" skin: after using this peel my face literally glows. It looks so smooth, even, and healthy, with minimal oiliness or shine.

For me, the 50% version is great for fading post-acne marks, usually the very next day pink-ish ones are dramatically lighter. Within about 3-4 peels they're gone completely.

I tried MUAC's 40% lactic acid peels previously, which I did like, but it took more time to see results and they weren't nearly as impressive as this.

One thing that really bugs me is the consistency of this product. It's extremely water-y, which makes application annoying and sometimes wasteful. I've tried applying with fingers (accidentally poured too much), cotton rounds (didn't pour enough) and Q-tips (too time consuming). Still don't have an ideal solution.

Despite that, I can't deny this peel the five lippies it rightfully deserves.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

In the past I have used the 40% Glycolic peel and had great results. For reasons I can't remember, I never repurchased, but used the Mandelic and the Radiance Peel and didn't really have noticeable results. I decided to take a chance to try the 50% strength and I'm glad I did. My otherwise dull skin has a glow after I use this, and it was pretty cheap for a sample size kit. I leave on my skin for about 1-2 minutes and do the peel once a week and I can tell a difference. I didn't notice any peeling or downtime, which was a plus.

on 11/29/2014 12:51:00 PM

Excellent chemical exfoliator. I love the bright, even glow this gives me. The 50% strength is pretty powerful, I only need to leave this peel on my skin for a minute or two. And this works great for me, I get the beautiful results I want without any peeling or irritation. For reference my skin is combo-oily, clog-prone, not particularly sensitive, and I have tried several different at-home peels from MUAC.

If you're not familiar with these products I will try to tell you a little bit about them. First, know that if you're using drugstore or department store products that contain AHA's or BHA's those products aren't anywhere near as strong as what this company is selling. They offer many different peels of varying types and strengths. The peel you want to choose is going to depend on your skin type and what kind of results you're looking to achieve. Also, the prices are extremely reasonable. I think it's because you're not paying for a bunch of extra superfluous ingredients. Or fancy packaging. These at-home peels are very basic and straightforward ingredient-wise. You're pretty much dealing with straight up chemicals, so having said all that...

It's important to be VERY CAREFUL when using these products, even the ones that are considered to be "starter" peels. Do your research and follow the instructions exactly, especially concerning the length of time you leave the peel on your skin. There's a lot more information about all of this on their website and they also have a very helpful customer service staff to help you over the phone.

These products are so effective that it's easy to get carried away and use them too often or leave them on for too long, trying to get "better" results. Read the skincare board, it's happened to a lot of people. And speaking from personal experience, it is not a good idea to get careless or overzealous with these products. About a year ago I got caught in a nasty cycle of over-exfoliated skin that was dried out and producing too much oil. The oil would then get trapped under all the dead dried-out skin and I ended up breaking out really, really badly. Long story short, don't overdo it. You'll end up looking worse, not better.

Regarding this 50% Glycolic Peel, start with cleansed skin (stop using your Retin-A and other powerhouse actives at least 24 hours beforehand), apply the pH Prep Solution (included in the kit), let it dry, and then apply the peel solution. Leave it on for the appropriate amount of time (only a minute or two for me) and then wash off thoroughly with a gentle foaming cleanser (I like Clinique's Rinse-Off Foaming or Algenist Rejuvenating Cleanser). And if you used a washcloth to wash that acid off of your face, go ahead and throw that washcloth in the laundry hamper. You don't want to use it for anything else. And now, you need to be really really nice to your skin for a day or two. Use your most soothing moisturizer. One that doesn't have any active ingredients in it like retinol or salicylic acid, anything along those lines. My post-peel faves are Creme de la Mer (sorry to all the CDLM haters, this is awesome for use after peels), First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream, Peter Thomas Roth Cucumber Gel Mask, and also CeraVe Cream. Then go to sleep and enjoy the results when you wake up.

With this particular peel I experience no downtime, just bright glow-y, even-toned skin. I love this peel and this is one that I would buy again!

on 9/3/2014 10:13:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I love MUAC!!! My favorite products are the 8% BHA serum and the Radiance peel, they keep my skin clear, smooth, even toned, less oily, and free from blackheads. I've also used the 25% Mandelic Acid peel, which is helpful at preventing breakouts during PMS. I've only used this peel about 4 times now so I haven't seen the full benefits yet, but I'm hoping it will help with scars from PIH or sun damage or with fine lines. I've been using it on sun damage marks on my shoulders, too.
Always be sure to do a patch test before using these peels all over your face! I haven't had a problem, but I wouldn't want to treat these peels too casually. Start with a minute and work your way up slowly. This peel stings me a bit but I'm more affected by the itchiness. I'm usually a bit more oily and a little flaky the next day, but I just use my Clarisonic and moisturize well to take care of that.
Will update as I do more of this peel. So far, so good...

on 5/4/2014 4:27:00 AM

I'm fair skinned and have roseacea. My intent with this was to reduce wrinkles and dullness. I've used this peel weekly for about 3 months, unless I'm doing a TCA peel. I do not peel heavily from it, just light flaking similar to what I get using too much Retin A. I've noticed my skin is more "glowy" and lines do appear to be less noticeable. Time will tell.

on 3/16/2014 11:19:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm a pessimist so believe me when I say, this product WORKS. It doesn't cause me to "peel" or get too dry. It's more of an exfoliant for me. My skin feels softer and looks shinier/less dull. I don't have the burning or tingling but I do itch until I wash it off. Great stuff!

on 1/18/2013 6:25:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I have used Retin-A for years, so this apparently was good training for my skin. When I applied this 50% glycolic acid peel, I expected it to burn and sting, but I felt NOTHING. At first I didn't think it was really doing *anything*, but as I washed it off, I noticed that two zits that'd been lurking under the skin for a week, had become volcanic eruptions. WOW. The next morning, it was as if they had never existed.
This is my new PMS-skin routine! My skin just looks glow-y, not red or peeling. This peel did a nice job of helping budge what has felt like a thick layer of skin that I just couldn't get off. I use a Clarisonic and a microdermabrasion paste, but this glycolic peel did in one minute what nothing else has been able to do. I'm amazed, and a believer! (When you have older skin like me, the last thing you need is a layer of DRY to make you look rough and old!)
I just ordered some TCA from MUAC and will try that in a few weeks.

on 1/26/2012 6:58:00 AM

The packaging wasn't anything special, it was a clear bag, but it's the product quality that matters. I'm a newbie to peels, so purchasing 50% was a risk for me. Fortunately, I didn't have any adverse reactions... However, I have done 6 peels (1 minute, 3 minutes, 5 minutes, and 10 minutes for the last 2) with virtually no results at all. Maybe my skin is just tough, it only tingled and went slightly dry. I'm hoping that when I finally use up the whole thing I'll have noticed something, but it hasn't helped my fine lines, pigmentation or scars. I'm an 18 year old male. I'll buy from MUAC again though, when I can afford TCA kit.

Popular Face Skincare Products