Matrix Biolage - HydraSource Conditioning Balm [formerly Conditioning Balm]

Matrix Biolage - HydraSource Conditioning Balm [formerly Conditioning Balm]
Biolage - HydraSource Conditioning Balm [formerly Conditioning Balm]Biolage - HydraSource Conditioning Balm [formerly Conditioning Balm]

4.2

2017 - Aqua / Water / Eau, Propylene Glycol, Myristyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Decyl Oleate, Phenoxyethanol, Parfum / Fragrance, Methylparaben, Aloe Barbadensis / Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Ethylparaben, Limonene, Hexyl Cinnamal, Coumarin, Linalool, Citric Acid, Passiflora Edulis Fruit Juice, Bisabolol.----------------------------------------------2012 Ingredients:Water, Propylene Glycol, Myristyl alcohol, Cetearyl alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Decyl Oleate, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance, Methylparaben, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Ethylparaben, Limonene, Hexylcinnamal, Coumarin, Linalool, Citric Acid, Passiflora Edulis Fruit Juice, Bisabolol.-------------------------------------------Old ingredients:Water, Propylene Glycol, Myristal Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Decyl Oleate, Rosemary Extract (Rosemarinus Officinalis), Golden Seal (Hydrastis Canadensis), Algae Extract, Chitosan PCA, Quaternium-79 Hydrolyzed Keratin, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea, Fragrance.
Note: product has been brought back under new name, same formula.
Matrix reviews, photos and discussion

I have long, thick course, naturally curly hair, that I do bleach (pieces) & straighten once in a while. I have seen this for years of course, but what caught my eye, & made me buy it, was reading an online blog about silicones & Morroccon Oil ruining your hair. I can't help but wonder, b/c of the mixed reviews about hydrated/dryness, if the build up on your hair BEFORE you use this, isn't the problem. Research this, This is not going to be able to penetrate your hair shaft if it is blocked & coated by silicones or build up of another product. Silicones are a temporary smoothing fix, that lock your hair shaft, so that it cannot "recieive" moisture. The result is waxy, more course frizziness. I read to get rid of the build up FIRST, and this worked like a dream! I did the Organic ACV rinse to clarify, rewashed my hair, then used this & it was amazing! But, it can also take more than just that to actually 100% get clarified.I ordered the Malibu Un DO Goo, & am going to use that in the morning. It is suppose to be the most gentle yet effective way. If your hair shaft is coated & locked down, it is only going to get waxy, drier (b/c it's getting dirtier") & of course, more frizz. Anyone who has ran into this problem with this hydrator, try this method, so these hydrators actually get into your shaft. There's no cones, so it won't build up. If you do use other products, it is recommended to clarify gently once a week for maintenance, so you actually are not wasting your hydrating product. It makes sense, Get the plastic coat off & let this actually penetrate. A good oil with no cones is the living proof no frizz nourishing oil. I have to use iols, but there's horror stories about Moroccon Oil. Liquid plastic. Ughh. I have the bottle, which I have used twice now,,& the tub, which I am using the tub in the morning. I believe it is the same thing. Watch for the word *Ultra*..that's the protein one, you can overdo protein & your hair will break off.

on 8/10/2017 12:10:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This is the conditioner version of my shampoo review from the same line:

I'm pretty sure the smell of this [conditioner] is ingrained in my brain as THE smell of shampoo/conditioner. When I was little I used to sneak into my mom and dad's bathroom to snag some before my mom caught on and bought me my own. I just love it, and I know it's still her HG hair product.

I always come back to the Biolage Hydrating line. I've tried various other products over the years but always return. My biggest disappointment is the price, because it's often out of my budget.

I have thick, coarse 2B hair. I'm very prone to flyaways and frizz and often straighten my hair because my curl is inconsistent and rather bush like, despite curly cuts, styling attempts, and products.This works really well for me. When used on its own I rarely need to use a clarifying shampoo. Only when I use lots of heat protectants or styling products did I really feel like the build up regularly got out of hand.

Ok. Not sure if it's worth the money. Didn't care for the packaging. The lid was kind of hard to get back on when wet in the shower.

on 1/8/2017 9:48:00 AM

FABULOUS!! I have natural wavy brunette hair with ombre ends growing out.my hair can be course and this is the only product that leaves my hair soft and smooth.My hair when not colored hates alot of protein so I use this in between its the products that eliminates that course curly frizzy feeling. Love the no protein ingredients smells fresh and clean.buy you will love it!!

on 5/16/2017 7:54:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I have normal Asian hair that I dye out of a box to cover grey. I used this when I used to get salon hair color and loved it. Have had a spate of not great shampoo experiences when I tried to go cheaper (suave mint - horrendous, stripping; organix coconut - fine but hair was knotty and dry; Aussie moist - Great, hair loved it, but after three weeks scalp started to itch). So, perhaps I will go back. Or, Giovanni - I think my hair and scalp found that one reasonably good. . . As per : amphianda's review below and. Dottielsj's review of the GVP dupe, I purchased the GVP dupe instead.

on 7/13/2015 4:04:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I got the 16.9 oz version from my sister-in-law as a Christmas gift. She runs a beauty salon. Thank you for family connections! This is the first Biolage product I've tried and I wouldn't have tried it because I loathe to spend more than $15 on a conditioner. It's hair conditioner not a new iPhone ya know! I'm not going to spend $50+ on a conditioner even though I blow dry and color my hair frequently. That being said, my hair is wonderfully soft and shiny after I use this conditioning balm. It has a pleasant scent, which isn't overpowering at all. I got this in December and I still have nearly half the container left at mid-July when I'm writing this review. So while I think it's a pricey conditioner/therapy treatment, the amount you receive lasts a long time.

on 4/7/2015 4:09:00 PM

I cannot find the old formulas anymore. The new formulas make my hair dry and crunchy. Beware of the new formula!

on 2/19/2015 3:41:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Important UPDATE: This has been RENAMED to HYRASOURCE Conditioner! The GVP dupes of these products (Hydratherapie and Balm) are based on the oldest formulation which contains Goldenseal. At this time, the GVP versions may be superior to the newest Biolage. See my reviews.
This conditioner is a rarity in terms of conditioners, as it is BOTH protein-free AND silicone-free (true for current formulation also).
I feel it is my duty to clarify some things about this conditioner and its partner, the moisturizing shampoo. I suspect some of the negative reviews are mistaken in that the reviewers unknowingly used the sub-par ULTRA versions. The ULTRA look very similar in packaging but THOSE CONTAIN SILICONES, FYI. And I do not recommend those versions... they are newer formulation and they are terrible. To be sure you are purchasing the correct ones just make sure it doesnt say ULTRA on the label.
If youre going to start using these products please make sure to, prior to your first use of Biolage, apply a good clarifying shampoo to take off all the buildup of protein and silicones. This will make a big difference in how you experience these two products starting out. If you dont do this you won't see that much of a miracle because the silicones still on your hair will prevent the wonderful botanical extracts from fully penetrating the hair shaft. Its important to mention that this conditioner and the shampoo are silicone free and always have been. This is one reason why your hair becomes so incredibly soft and healthy when you use this duo regularly. This conditioner and its other half, Biolage Hydrating Shampoo are the very best ive ever used in all my years (I am 40) Ive been using this pair almost exclusively for 20 years. My hair is in incredible condition, very healthy, has GREAT body for my hair type, with an almost unbelievable shine factor. Every hair dresser I go to comments on how beautiful and healthy my hair is, without fail. Its common for the hair dresser to bring her co-workers over to see my hair saying "Will you look at how shiny and healthy her hair is!". Seriously. It makes my hair so soft, elastic and strong ...I love to touch it as does my boyfriend, and it doesnt weigh it down at all. Perfection. I get compliments all the time. My hair is thin and straight... delicate, and could easily turn into mousy unremarkable hair (and does every time I try using another product for more than a few days). Its only because of this duo that my hair is beautiful. Believe me it is true. I still, 20 years later, almost cannot believe how great these products are. Sometimes I get really tired of the smell, or get a hankering for a new product experience. Ive tried french products, italian products, etc... Ive tried expensive, Ive tried inexpensive, Ive tried organic, Ive tried sulfate free, etc. Nothing comes even close to the magic of Biolage. These products are like golden handcuffs in that way. So rare, and so effective, you really can't go back to anything else for very long. This product takes many many months before you notice any kind of buildup. Its always a good idea to have another cone free shampoo and conditioner different than biolage to give your hair a break be it once a week or once every 4 months. Doing this will keep Biolage's effects at their maximum. For my break products I use anything I like without cones.
The build-up with Biolage is far and away less than any other product ive ever used, but after a long while your hair will begin to crave a break from even this just for a day.
Another important note: I have very, very fine hair. I use this conditioner DAILY. It is not a heavy waxen type conditioner. It is simply a really perfect conditioner that is not too much to use every day, no matter how rich it looks. And yet, it is the best conditioner to use to repair damage. Thats how I discovered it; my hair was terribly damaged from a perm and this conditioner worked miracles for me. Back then I would leave it on my hair for up to 1/2 hour, but now I leave it on less then a minute. It leaves my hair free flowing and luscious and brings out a bonafide wave I didnt even know I had until I started using these products years ago. Now THATS a magic conditioner if it can bring out latent waves in otherwise straight hair.
Every friend ive persuaded to try the original two Biolage conditioning balm and moisturizing shampoo is now a lifer like me. One friend is vietnamese and has thick rope-like strands of hair. Another friend has an afro. This balm is great for all hair types, be it oily, dry, coarse, curly, etc.
Your hair will transform to the best version it could be, and it will style much easier, too. In fact, you will stop using other add on products after a while because you realize that anything you put on your hair actually only diminishes the beautiful effects and the healthy hair these products foster. You never realized how cooperative your hair could be. One of my friends after using it at my house commented "Whoa... That shampoo and conditioner I used in your shower were so good I dont even need product today. My hair looks amazing and I didnt even have to do anything but comb it!". You may even stop using curling irons or hot irons (I stopped using my curling iron years ago) because you find that miraculously your natural hair tendencies, when given the right kind of care, are beautiful in their own right.
Great healthy hair is so important. Its something people really do notice, because truly healthy hair is not a common thing to see. (especially since its hard to find cone free conditioners, and because people arent educated about cones so most of the population wanders around with subpar, dry brittle hair). Check out my photos to see my hair. I am using no product besides this duo, and I don't even use a blowdryer.

I use this with the conditioning shampoo and together they make the fine textured (but A LOT of it) naturally curly, color treated, split ended, breakage prone mess growing out of my head smooth and silky. My length is about 2 inches below mid back. The smell is good, fresh just out the salon scent. It isn't heavy so it doesn't weigh my hair down or make it look greasy. The screw off lid makes it inconvenient to use with wet hands, so I loosen it before I get in the shower. It is pricey, but a tub can last me about 4-6 months since I only wash my hair 2-3 times a week.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I do admit the price is a little iffy but well worth it.
My hair was terribly damaged from coloring and straightening about one year ago and my hair salon recommended this. I'm so glad they did because this is amazing for leaving your hair soft while conditioning it. Even the next day after it is washed out you can tell it has been in your hair because of the softness. Just using this on my ends about everyday has lasted for about 8 months so you'd only have to make the purchase almost every year so it is well worth it. (The bottle is 8.5 fl\oz im pretty sure)

Popular Conditioners