Sage Machado Garnet

3.5

on 2/23/2018 8:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

This is more of a spicy Oriental than a fruity-floral, for sure. But, just my luck, the watermelon note takes center stage. I'm not a fan of fruity, aquatic, or, especially, melon notes in my perfumes. The watermelon ruins what might be beautiful to my nose. I think the strong rose notes enhance the watermelon and blackberry notes, which makes sense...that deep juiciness. To me it's watermelony rose and patchouli. I wish my skin brought out more patchouli and some amber to dim the fruit. I don't dislike Garnet, but I wouldn't enjoy wearing it.

on 12/20/2006 2:44:00 AM

Strong, powdery, medicinal, and bleh!

I like this enough to buy it. An almost boozy opening followed by rose and patchouli sweetened and softened with a little vanilla in the dry down. What's not to like? I honestly don't get the head-shop descriptions in the reviews below. If you are looking for head-shop patchouli then look elsewhere-- this is not it. I like this quite a bit and the staying power is wonderful. I tested the EDT.

on 11/4/2006 11:27:00 AM

Put Sage and Garnet oils together, and it's Christmas at my paternal grandmother's house. The rose and amber in Garnet prove too much for me, and give me an instant headache - but that's always my reaction to rose, so it's just me, I'm sure. This is also one powerful oil, like Onyx - a little dab'll do ya, and the rest of the room you're in.

on 8/17/2006 5:47:00 AM

Boring, boring, boring. A very generic sweet oriental with a lot of patchouli, amber and vanilla. I'm not getting any of the floral or fresh fruit notes at all. Smells like something you might mix up at home from cheap'n'nasty Camden Market fragrance oils. Not actively unpleasant but so completely without any merit that frankly it's unnecessary.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Headshop is right, but maybe an upscale one. Garnet notes:
Moroccan red rose, gardenia, watermelon, blackberry, Tunisian amber, patchouli, vanilla. I smell the rose, gardenia, amber and patchouli, but the watermelon, blackberry and vanilla is non-existant. Save yourself some money and buy an oil from Whole Foods or Auric Blends because it is the same thing only not in a pretty bottle.

on 7/12/2006 5:29:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I love this stuff! Smells a little bit like a head shop in that it's all sweets and incense. But unlike most of the head shop oils I've smelled, Garnet doesn't smell cheap and it lasts all day long. The only drawback is an intellectual one: the outrageous price. It is an oil. A very small amount of it, at that. None of the ingredients are rare or otherwise difficult to obtain.... It's soooo good though I'm almost inclined to say it's totally worth it. Almost.

Garnet is a rose/patchouli/amber blend with faint fruity overtones. This is a rose for people who hate rose and a patchouli for people who hate patchouli. It's so seamlessly blended that it smells like neither. This is definitely a "vintage"-smelling scent and it transports me back in time to another era, when the world was more magical and superstitious. And glamorous.

Garnet is sexy and mysterious, like something you would find in a French bordello in the 1920s. Nothing headshoppy about this at all, it is classy and sexy. Worth every penny, I will buy it over and over. I wear the oil only.

on 5/24/2006 8:47:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I must agree with the boogerbrat & dreamstorm - this fragrance is amazingly sexy & sensual to me. I typically strongly dislike florals. However, to me (and on me), I am mostly aware of a slightly sweet, slightly incensy/slightly woody/slightly fruity blend that, altogether, just makes me feel beautiful. I sniff myself mutliple times a day when I wear this. In fact - I should go put some on now!

on 4/11/2006 11:25:00 AM

Sage Machado oils are definitely some of my favorite oil blends, with Pearl, Topaz, Jade, and Onyx being my favorites. I have a little roll-on of Garnet, and although it's pleasant, it's by far not one of my top choices from SM. It has a weird bittersweet quality to it, coming from the patchouli and the amber, that just doesn't work quite well together. Something is just off about this scent. It's not quite a floral, not quite ambery, not quite sweet, it's all things trying to dominate and it just doesn't quite come together. I mostly smell amber and rose, and I don't detect any vanilla whatsoever. Maybe it's in there in minute quantities, but I can't tell it's in it. Garnet gets better as it wears on the skin, changing into a floral amber earthyness that's not bad. I don't get much fruit from Garnet, as in watermelon or blackberries that other reviewers have mentioned. I do wish I got some berries and vanilla from it, as I think it could use some more of those notes. Garnet is a dark scent, but not heavy or perfumey. A bit old-fashioned, but not in a bad way. It's just okay, nothing I will miss when it's used up. Notes: Moroccan Red Rose, Gardenia, Watermelon, Blackberry, Dark Tunisian Amber, Patchouli, Vanilla.
continued >>