Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Oil-Reducing Cleanser

4.1

Not tested on animals

Water, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate (gentle cleansing agent), Sodium Lauroamphoacetate (gentle cleansing agent), Stearic Acid (fatty acid thickener), Hexylene Glycol (slip agent), Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil (non-volatile plant oil), Glycol Stearate (thickener), Sodium Trideceth Sulfate (emulsifier), Acrylates Copolymer (film-forming agent), Cetearyl Alcohol (thickener), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (water-binding agent), Sodium Chloride (stabilizer and Ph-adjusting agent), Potassium Sorbate (stabilizer), Laureth-4 (emulsifier), Citric Acid (pH adjuster), Xanthan Gum (thickener), Disodium EDTA (stabilizer), Ethylhexylglycerin (skin conditioning agent), Phenoxyethanol (preservative)

This could've been the holy grail of cleansers, but unfortunately there were a few flaws that I could not look past. The consistency of the cleanser is rather pleasant, and doesn't dry out your skin whatsoever. It does a good job at removing makeup, and you don't need a whole lot for your entire face. HOWEVER, be wary if you are extremely acne-prone like myself because after a couple weeks of using this, I began to develop new blemishes everywhere. I'm not sure if it is a particular ingredient in this, or that a residue is left behind (I generally don't use a toner) but this definitely broke me out on more that one occasion. If your skin isn't as sensitive, I'd give it a go because it was great on all other fronts. I used to only use Paula's Choice products but lately I have been trying to find less expensive alternatives. That being said, there are a few products i can't live without- namely the resist super light anti wrinkle defense with spf 30!!

If you want $10 off of your order (new customers only I believe), use this link! - https://goo.gl/MtP1Iz

I have sensitive, oily, yet dehydrated, combination skin with some acne that pops up once in a while. Yes, it's quite a challenge finding the right products!

This cleanser actually does exactly as it is named; it balances my difficult skin, actually making it manageable for me to deal with.

-----

I use this product twice a day, in the morning and at night, and it's been almost two months.

The Balancing Cleanser has a creamy consistency with a rich lather. It's light weight, non-greasy feel is awesome. What's great is that it's extremely gentle so it doesn't aggravate my sensitive skin as some of the Clinique cleansers have done to me in the past. Like the Fresh Soy Cleanser that I used prior to this product, it leaves my skin soft and smooth without over-stripping essential moisture, but it actually cleans up and washes away all the gump that has accumulated. Paula's Choice Balancing cleanser keeps my acne at bay and doesn't leave my skin with any tightness or flakiness - my skin has never felt so great!

-----

I'm not a big fan of the way the product comes out of the bottle. As someone who travels, I find the top part to be a waste of space in my bag and I don't like the slanted push-down to open the lid and squeeze-the-bottle-to-eject formula, but I've gotten used to it, and it isn't a huge deal breaker for me, especially given all the great things that this product has done to my skin.

So far, I have no reason to quit using this product. It feels great, it does wonders to my skin, and the price point isn't too bad considering the large packaging. Also, as my combination skin has become more balanced, I find myself using less of other products (concealer, foundation, moisturizer etc) so with that taken into account, it's not a bad price at all.

-----

If you're a combo/oily skin type, this is for you. Have dehydrated skin? Have acne? Have sensitive skin? No worries. This product will have you covered.

I hope you have a great experience with this product as it did with me, and it takes you one step closer to having more manageable, balanced skin :D - https://goo.gl/K1INpb to get $10 off your purchase.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Pros: Non-Greasy, Lightweight, Balances Combo Skin, Softens Skin
Cons: None
Best Uses: Daily Use, Enlarged Pores

Sometimes you don't know how good something is until it is gone. That is what happened to me with Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Cleanser. It is truly an unassuming product that has improved my skin over time. I have normal to oily combo skin, and I used to be a complete oil slick by 11 am. Even the most robust mattifying products had severe breakthrough. I was using a pretty harsh cleanser that I believed was reducing my facial oil, but I think it actually dried out my skin too much, making my skin over compensate. SB Cleanser didn't make a huge impression on me at first, probably because of long-time use of the prior too-harsh cleanser. However, within two weeks with daily AM use of SB cleanser, my skin started to be, well, more balanced. After a month of use, it was very well behaved, and continued to be so through the entire bottle. My skin got to a point where I could actually wear sunscreen without getting slimy or breaking out. And mattifiers actually WORK on my skin now, keeping me shine free most of the day. The bummer part...my bottle is gone and I'm sad because the other cleansers I have on hand are simply not the same.

Skin Balancing Cleanser is a white color with creamy consistency and a slight glue-like scent. It has a rich lather when a little bit of water is added. It is cushiony on skin, and allows gentle massaging without excessive pulling. It rinses easily, but I use a microfiber cloth to remove most of it before I rinse. I didn't have any tightness or flaking when in normal Los Angeles weather, but I did notice it was a little too much when the conditions were very dry. Generally, I only used SB Cleanser once per day, and have been using PC Moisture Boost in the evenings. Once I have worked through some of my cleanser stash, I will definitely repurchase Skin Balancing Cleanser!

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I bought this in a sample set for N/O skin to try out and its quite disappointing for the hype that was associated with Paula's website. I only found out about how ineffective the products are a few days before they arrived. Decided to see if it works at all!

I have acne-prone sensitive skin that does not suffer much frm dryness or oily-ness during the day. The cream texture of this product was deceptive in appearing that it would not dry out my skin (which it did), or have any other effects on it (also did).

I suspect that they have added anti-ageing components to all of their products, which is really upsetting. The temporary effects that they have in blurring out your skin from fine lines and pores generally become aggregated by their continued use.

Paula's skincare products are unreasonably expensive and overkill, I suggest finding cheaper alternatives that work for you instead of trying these , if it means that you have to use a cleanser and a primer.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Rich and creamy, non-irritating, and removes all traces of makeup and even my stubborn zinc based sunscreen. This is glorious to use, and makes my sensitive skin feel clean but hydrated. I used a sample for a few days and now am purchasing a full sized bottle.

Lovely, especially for oilier skin

- Lightweight cream consistency, comes to a light lather.
- Not too thick but not too watery, so it is easy to spread over the face, though it takes a few more seconds to rise off than say the Garnier cleansing milk. This is not a real problem though.
- Really mattifying. Leaves my skin shine free for quite a while.
- Fragrance-free like all PC products, which is great but the natural smell of the ingredients is slightly unpleasant. Though, this smell is not very strong at all. Easy to ignore and get used to. I'd rather miss out on the 'oooh' moment of a great smelling cleanser than use something that will irritate my skin.
- Leaves my skin feeling really refreshed and soft. I sometimes leave a layer on for 5-10 minutes as you would with a purifying mask/treatment and it makes my skin feel great.
- I think this would be best for normal to moderately oily skin. Dryer skin types might not find this moisturising enough and super duper oily skin may need something with a bit more oomph. I love it though.

I've been using this cleanser for about a month now and I must say I am not impressed. Leaves my combo skin feeling tight and extremely dry with flakes...even after I use their toner! I get moderate acne and this has done nothing to improve on that either. Very dissapointed with the whole skin balancing line.

I can never ever live without this cleanser! If I don't use this first thing, none of the PC products I use would work. I don't know why. I have used PC's other cleansers and did not work as good as this cleanser.

This is my make up remover, cleanser and toner. I mean, I just wash my face twice to remove all the make up and oil on my face and neck, then, lather another pea sized amount to make sure I have cleaned it good. It saves me a lot of $$$ because I don't use a toner afterwards.

This cleanser cleared my acne and make all my face treatment effective.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is a great gentle cleanser that isn't drying. It's a white cleanser that has a light lather when mixed with water. My overall complexion has improved and I have less breakouts. It actually removes makeup (even eye makeup) and cleanses very well. Wish it had a pump but it's still easy to use. When I purchased this, I had a $10 off coupon as well as 25% off so I got the 16 oz for $10.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I used this cleanser as part of a focus group, comparing products on the market to a new brand that is soon launching (no idea who the new brand is as all packaging was top secret!! Very exciting!!)

Anyway, not only is this cleanser your run of the mill standard type, it uses two highly sensitising preservatives.

Hence my skin blew up something rotten. Lots of small dry patches and deep red painful spots on my nose and around the nasal area.

I did a little more research into this brand and it appears that she started off critiquing other brands on a site called Cosmetic Cop, now Beautypedia, before launching her own brand.

Both are disappointing. First, with today's cosmetic innovations, to simply use the same old formulas, emulsifiers and preservatives, especially when more and more evidence is being produced that shows how sensitising they are, is nothing short of lazy. This is clearly about selling a brand name than about learning from all her research to produce innovative new products.

And secondly, how can she be trusted? Her Beautypedia reviews are damning to all the other brands and full of inaccuracies. On one product for example, she claimed they used more than the legal limit of fragrance. I contacted the brand and they confirmed this was untrue with EU approved certificates etc. And we know how strict the EU is.

And what is even more upsetting is to find out that the same people she uses to critique other brands, are the ones that review hers on sites such as this with glowing colours!! Who can you trust??!!

So, the product itself is simply too harsh to use and the brand ethics leave much to be desired. Avoiding both from now on.