New York Color Smooth Skin Bronzing Powder - Sunny

New York Color Smooth Skin Bronzing Powder - Sunny

Price: $

Price: $

Talc/Ethylhexyl Palmitate/Zinc Stearate/Silica/Kaolin/Aluminum Starch Octenylscucinate/Imidazolidinyl Urea/Methylparaben/Propylparaben. May Contain Mica/Titanium Dioxide/Iron Oxides.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I beg to differ with all the reviews that say, "This product does NOT turn orange." IF you are Yellow toned this will most likely turn orange, because it is Pink toned. People here are saying its a neutral brown, No! it's definantly pink toned, which is perfect if you are pink toned, but I'm yellow and it turns majorly orange on me, and I am not that pale! (NC25 in the summer) I had high hopes for this as the boards rave about it, and how it's matte and not orange. Hmm it's nice that it's matte, it has a nice texture on the skin(looks chunky in the pan) and it's dirt cheap, so I'm not sorry for trying it, but now I'm letting you guys know how it went. Definantly recommend to pink toned peoples, sadly not to yellow toned.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have been on this website for 3 years without writing a single review but I could not stay silent about this product. And not in a good way.

DID I GET A FAULTY BRONZER?! :( I searched very hard for this product because every CVS and Walgreens I went to was sold out of it and I was even contemplating buying it online. When I found it I bought 2 of them and I was estatic!
But I've used this product for a week and this is what I've concluded.

Positives: Cheap.

Negatives: ORANGE ORANGE ORANGE. I hate it when bronzers oxidize into an orangey nasty color. You know what I'm talking about. The packaging is very flimsy, the sponge is useless, the product goes all over the place because it's so finely milled, as the day goes on it becomes splotchy and uneven, and most importantly, IT BROKE ME OUT!!!! I have a bunch of little bumps and pimples on both of my cheek bones and on my forehead. I have come to the conclusion that it is this bronzer because I have broken out in ONLY the places I put this on and I have not changed anything in my skincare nor makeup routine.

So I look up the ingredients.

Talc Alkyl Benzoate Zinc Stearate Calcium Silcate Kaolin Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate Octenylsuccinate Boron Nitride Isopropyl Paraben Isobutylparaben Butyl Paraben Quaternium 15 Mica Titanium Dioxide Iron Oxide Ultramarines Manganese Violet Aluminum Bronze Powder (CI 77400) Tin Oxide

I WISH I HAD KNOWN EARLIER or else I would not have purchased this. This contains Mica and Talc as well as 3 freaking types of Parabens. Yay..... NOT. Ugh I only blame myself though for not checking before I put it on my face. Now I have to suffer the consequences :(

I absolutely love this website so I am hoping this review helps to dissuade all of you lovely girls who are trying to find the perfect bronzer. What I'm going to stick with and what I recommend for NC30 girls like myself is layering a natural matte bronzer such as Benefit's Hoola to contour your nose and cheekbones and going over it with a light hand with something a little more darker such as Nars Casino.. That way it creates more depth and dimension leaving you with a beautiful bronzed face!

Although this product is cheap, the $3 price tag is not worth the sadness of breakouts and all the other products you're going to have to buy in order to heal the breakouts and the scars that they will leave behind. Avoid at all costs.

It's 3 dollars. dingdingdingding
It's nearly matte. dingdingdingding
It's pretty sheer so it's really hard to overapply. dingdingdingding
It's a perfect bronzing shade for my nc 25 skin. dingdingdingding
DINGDINGDINGDING

on 11/10/2012 1:20:00 PM

Well, this stuff sort of blew my mind. This is far and away the best powder bronzer I have ever used on my fair, cool-to-neutral toned skin. HG for fair skin. I'll repeat that. HG for FAIR skin. Don't expect this to even show up if you have medium skin. I've been using NARS Laguna for the longest time, but it's highly-pigmented and requires a light hand. While Laguna contains a very slight bit of shimmer or glitter or something sparkly I see in that pan, this one does not. This is a completely matte, warm color that is not highly-pigmented - which is why it works on pale, fair-skinned folks. It cannot be overdone - it never looks muddy or dirty as so many powder bronzers can (I'm looking at you, Hoola). While it's buildable, it never appears too dark or fake. It is not orangey in the slightest. It reminds me of Guerlain's Terracotta Bronzer but not as red; it just gives the loveliest natural flush of color to fair skin. It can warm up your face if used all over with a very heavy handed-kabuki, or it provides the most natural contouring you can imagine with an angled contour brush or even a MAC 109. This can actually be buffed into the skin without looking artificial. This is the only powder bronzer that gives my Chanel Soleil Tan de Chanel a run for its money. Speaking of money.. the price alone is ridiculous. A drugstore bronzer that has trumped my high-end brands by miles?! I try makeup as if money were no object, because this is how I choose to spend my disposable income. I'll buy anything if it really works, and I'm probably more critical of drugstore brands because I believe you get what you pay for. However, some inexpensive products defy all logic, and perform magically. This bronzer is one.

on 12/23/2009 9:24:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

This is the perfect matte bronzer/contour for super pale skin and the best drugstore bronzer I've found. I removed the terrible plastic packaging that broke in a couple of days and depotted the pan into a Stila compact. I've hit pan on this and have already repurchased.

NC 15 skintone for reference.

Sometimes as i walk down the isles looking for makeup i cant help but think about how weird all the different types of makeup are! Powder that turns to liquid, liquid that turns to powder, different bottles and contraptions that can physically get the makeup ON your face. But this is a nice break from the confusion. This Is A Bronzer. Nothing more, nothing less. It wont turn you orange, it wont break you out, it wont be a glitter bomb, this is just good useful inexpensive bronzer that everyone should have:)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This...this can't be.
99.99% of bronzers I try turn orange on me. Whether in 5 minutes or 5 hours, it's bound to happen at some point. The top reviews for this all point a finger at this bronzer and scream "ORANGE ORANGE ORANGE!!!"
So why in makeup's name did I pick it up? Curiosity, I suppose. I'm also very stubborn, and, based on the rating this bronzer has, figured there's a chance it could work for me, however slim it may be. It's only $2 anyways. Even for a college student, that's cheap.
But I was still too hesitant to try it out. Bronzer is one of the last steps in my face routine, and if turned into Snooki, I would have to start over, or figure out a way to rock the Oompa Loompa look all day. So I waited till the evening when it would be too dark for anyone to care, and in the lighting of my room, gave it a shot.
Okay...wow, that's pretty good. No orange so far, just looks like bronzer should. Nice, but I should give it some time. It's gonna oxidize, I just know it.
A movie party and a game of Apple to Apples later (because college students are adults, as I'm sure you can tell), I checked again. Still no orange. Was it the lighting? Had to be. I tested it out the next day, checking it out in artificial and natural lighting. No sign of an Oompa Loompa face. I even asked one of my guy friends...
Me: Hey, does my face look orange to you?
Him: Wha...oh, no. Why?
Me: Trying out a new bronzer.
Him: Okay, what's bronzer?
Okay, it was time to admit it, I wasn't going to get a Snooki face from using Sunny. I found this so surprising. I have a bad history with bronzers. Heck, Sunny even looked like it was gonna turn orange on me in the pan, so what happened?
Well...I'm not sure. But for a girl whose spent some time looking for a good, non orangey bronzer (and found...maybe 2 worth keeping) this is a pleasant surprise. Being that I'm pale and cool-toned, the fact that Sunny worked for me and not the other tanner more yellow-toned reviewers could point to why this bronzer stayed trough to it's bronzy hues.
It's not perfect, but that's just fine. Blending takes some time, and the packaging is...well, it's what you'd expect. I wouldn't cry or bemoan NYC if it was ever discontinued, but I would, however, ask those people how on earth they created a bronzer that would only work for people who bronzer rarely works on.
Whether its through makeup voodoo or the right undertones, either way, I'll take it.

on 9/15/2012 10:02:00 PM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Pros:
+Dirt cheap -around $3
+Comes with 9g
+Doesn't make me look orange
+Not splotchy
+Blendable
+Lasts ALL day
+Lasts a long time (Product wise) -I use this everyday and I've had this for about a year and i've just hit pan
+Matte
+Great for contouring
+Buildable
+Light weight
+Comes with a mirror
+Great for throughout the year(:

Cons:
-Packaging looks cheap

Overall I love this product it's my HG bronzer. I already bought a back up and I will happily repurchase when i run out(:

on 8/16/2012 11:32:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

It applies evenly, not spotty or patchy. It wears well throughout the day. The only problem I have is with the color. It is not bronzey or bronze . It looks more like orange on the skin. I wear Revlon Color stay for oily skin in Buff. ( Just so you know my skin tone) I don't look like I have a tan or glow so to me it's okay but I can't find Rubi- glow bronzer anywhere now that gave me more of a bronzed look.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This is the greatest suprise I've ever encountered buying a cosmetic produc!. This stuff is unbeliavable!!! I needed a matte bronzer to swish on my face for some NATURAL sun-kissed color. I am fair skinned and do not tan but I want a modest sun glow so I don't look washed out.

I bought some Cargo medium bronzer w/ a Sephora gift card but its too ornage and they say its matte, but it does have some shimmer. I got a sample of Lancome bronzer in a GWP ...its way too reddish and shimmery. I was about to go to Nordies and get some Bobbi Brown as it gets good reviews but I figured I'd try this since it gets great reviews. I spent $3.00 on this thinking if it doesn't work, that's less than a cup of coffee and I can pitch it.

Lo and behold, IT WORKS! I look rested, sun-kissed and natural. I have actually gotten compliments with this stuff. I apply with kabuki brish to my temples, cheeks and a bit on my nose...and I use a light hand. Its buildable if you need a deeper tone.

Its not too roange, it looks very natural. Staying power is good...lasted all day no touch ups required. I am stunned this is so inexpensive. Packaging is cheap but who cares....product is amazing.