SkinCeuticals SkinCeuticals - Clarifying Clay Mask

SkinCeuticals SkinCeuticals - Clarifying Clay Mask

4.4

Water, kaolin, aloe barbadensis gel, bentonite, glycerin, titanium dioxide, mixed fruit extract, chamomile extract, comfrey extract, cetearyl alcohol/ceteareth-20, caprylic/capric triglycerides, dimethicone, methylparaben, propylparaben, imidazolidinyl urea 5/27/09

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I bought this directly from a clinic with the intent of shaming the gunk out of the enlarged pores around my nose. Either this has been reformulated recently, or the Canadian version of this product with the exact same name has been anointed with completely unnecessary extracts of Lavender, Rosemary, Citrus, Geranium and other known skin irritants. Don't know what the repercussions of using such ingredients in a rinse-off product like this are, and won't bother finding out with my already sun-reactive skin. I wish there was a way for customers to check for formulary variations, but Skinceuticals doesn't even bother providing the ingredient list on their website. At least they make a great sunscreen. At least I got this at 70% off!

These are the ingredients as listed on my package: Water, Kaolin, Aloe Barbadensis Gel, Bentonite, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Titanium Dioxide, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cetearyl Alcohol, Dimethicone, Lithium Magnesium Sodium Silicate, Phenoxyethanol, Ceteareth-20, Vaccinium Myrtillus Fruit Extract, Caprylyl Glycol, Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil/Sunflower Seed Oil, Saccharum Officinarum Extract/Sugar Cane Extract, Sodium Hydroxide, Orange Fruit Water, Lemon Fruit Extract, Sugar Maple Extract, Matricaria Flower Extract, Rosemary Leaf Oil, Pelargonium Graveolens Flower Oil, Lavandula Hybrida Oil, Cucumber Fruit Extract, Turmeric Root Extract, Sclareolide, Rose Flower Oil, Jasmine Extract.

on 5/5/2006 5:18:00 PM

Luckily I got a sample of this and did not purchase the full size. I have had good luck with other Skinceuticals products but this broke me out -- badly. I have never used a product with glycolic acid in it before, so maybe that is the culprit. From what I read in various reviews, G.A. may cause some people's skin to "purge." That may be the case for me. I'm definitely not going to keep on using it to see if it gets better, though, because we're talking huge red welts on my otherwise pale cheeks so that I look rather diseased:-(

on 11/21/2014 10:38:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

- dislike the packaging
- expensive
-dries out my face
- makes me breakout (maybe that's the point, to get the toxins out or something?) but then later my skin isn't any better

I bought this as I couldn't buy the clarifying face mask from Proativ (as I live in Ireland). Sadly, it didn't live up to the hype for me. Just no major benefit. I hear Glam Glow mask is supposed to be good, so am saving my pennies for this.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

First, I have to say that I'm a big fan of Skinceuticals' Vit C products. They are superb. This, however, is not. I did not see any great results after using consistenly, I got bad stinging during and after use, and I did get some minor breakouts. I can't recommend this as a result.

on 9/24/2009 1:03:00 PM

I am a big fan of SkinCeuticals...use an extensive range of their serums and find them fabulous.

I have also bought this product after recommendation by the sales. I have not found this product to be any different to other clay masks on the market, and does not have any special after effects differ to clay masks like the proactive one etc.

I think compared to the other skinc range it is not expensive, but compared to other clay masks on the market that u can purchase for a lot cheaper i would therefore not opt to re purchase. i would rather save this money and gain some real skin smoothing results from aha/retin A products....as i found this product only absorbs oil and does what usual clay masks do....so not worth the budget blow, rather opt for a cheaper clay mask and then invest this kinda money on serums and other lotions that have skin enhancing benefits.

Clay masks are necessary and good part of skin regime, but i would skim on this and buy a cheaper clay mak substitute, and invest the money into fraxel , serums,,,,AHA lotions.

on 9/4/2008 1:36:00 PM

I'm very on the fence on this one. On one hand, after use, my skin glows and looks more clear and even, etc. The effect however, does not last for more than 3 days. It is not overly drying as some clay masks can be. But I keep getting more breakouts. I've used this about 4/5 times over the past 3 weeks and I get breakouts 2/3 days after use. I don't know if it's purging, but I think it would be best if I didn't try this again. My skin might just not like glycolic acid.

will be returning this.

on 9/27/2006 10:01:00 AM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

A very nice clarifying mask that contains 5% AHA and bentonite clay. I use a BHA treatment first ( Neotrogena's salicylic acne peel) and then apply a thin layer of this. Comes in a heavy frosted glass container. I purchased this as part of a 4 piece acne kit. Contains parabens. Update: This does not work any better than Queen Helene, DDF, Desert Essence, Avon, Clinique Emergency or Aubrey Clay masks I have used. If you have really oily skin try Glytone Sulfur Clay mask.

on 1/30/2015 6:12:00 PM

I like it and will continue to use it until I finish the jar. So far, it makes my face feel very smooth and soft but I am not sure if I will buy it once more.

on 7/3/2014 9:38:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

A very good clay mask wihich is not overly drying but - way, way, way overpriced as all SkinCeuticals products are. For that reason I will not re-purchase.