Rusk Clarify Shampoo

This product did a nice job at clearing the buildup in my hair. It's soft and bouncy. It does not say that it's color safe, but many people said that it didn't strip their hair. It pretty much stripped much of the color out of mine, so I will only use it before adding more color.

This seems to do the job and clarify my hair well. It doesn't seem to dry it out either, if I follow with a rich conditioner. My hair feels soft and bouncy after drying. However, this product is extremely runny and difficult to work with. It is like water and it easily runs out of your hand and between your fingers. You have to really cup your hand to make a puddle of shampoo, then lather it up a bit in your hand so that it doesn't fall when you try to put it in your hair. Very bizarre, never seen a shampoo like that before. It also barely lathers at all- weird for a clarifying shampoo but it is sulfate free. It's hard to know if you've washed your whole head when there's no lather. The scent is rosemary mint, which is OK, nothing to write home about. I would say it is safe for color-treated hair and didn't seem to strip my color with how infrequently I use it.
I have a big bottle and it will probably last a very long time because I only clarify once a month. When I finish I will look for something else. I might buy again but only if I can't find anything better.
Rusk is always available for cheap at my local Winners. I wouldn't pay full price for this. I'm sure there is better at that price point.

To Read all 28 Reviews, Login or Join

on 6/24/2015 2:06:00 PM

This product has been reformulated, as have the other Rusk shampoos. This used to be a great clarifying shampoo. It smelled herbal (Rosemary), cleaned well without drying hair out, and it rinsed clean without making hair too tangled like some clarifying shampoos. Now that they have jumped on the "sulfate free" bandwagon, they ruined this shampoo. Now it's thin and watery, doesn't clean well, and leaves hair tangled with a gummy residue. Terrible!

This product is amazing!! My hair looked dull and I had so much product buildup from all of my hair products that I didn't know what to do with myself. I have really thick hair and it worked great the first try!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

HG clarifying shampoo! i picked up a sample size of this because i had serious build up (from hard water). it lathers up well and my hair was squeaky clean. i put in a conditioner and after i rinsed my hair felt like silk. my wavy/curly hair dried into the perfect volume, texture, bounce and shine. i will definitely run out and buy the full bottle as soon as the sample size runs out

on 11/6/2012 1:57:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

My hair was starting to lose its luster and volume due to my fondness for hairspray so I picked this up on a whim (I'm a sucker for the colour purple). Thankfully, it worked wonderfully to remove the buildup. Mind you it took two separate washes, two days straight, to remove all the gunk in my hair. I actually prefer this milder formula, as I have tried various clarifying shampoos in the past and they were much too harsh. I love how I only need about a quarter-sized amount for my boob-length hair, as apposed to my usual palm full with drugstore varieties. My hair is once again bouncy and lightweight, thanks to Rusk. And while I'm not too fond of the scent (herbal-y) it doesn't bother me enough to stop using it. P.S. I have virgin hair so I'm not sure if this is okay to use on coloured or otherwise chemically treated hair.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I likewise bought this product from TJMaxx for $10. Great price, huge bottle... it has lasted me over 3 months which is saying something... I have tons of hair and use a lot of shampoo! Things I like about it: the color (orange), smell (light and not overpowering), and some aspects of its wash. When I purchased it I was expecting a product that would REALLY cleanse... that is not the case with this shampoo. For me, this shampoo is actually rather moisturizing... but doesn't leave my hair too "oily". Once I realized this about the product, I stopped using conditioner and just used this as both a shampoo/conditioner.
What a difference it made! All of a sudden this product was usable.
Usable BUT not worth re-purchasing for me. Still glad I gave it a try, Hey for $10 you really can't go too wrong!

on 7/18/2011 11:29:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

My hair has been so oily and greasy in this hot Texas summer. I also use silicone products to smooth frizz before I blow dry. That said, my hair was looking so gross. It would get greasy by the end of the day. So, someone on MUA gave me a sample of this. It cleared up all the gunk from my styling products and my hair felt light and bouncy! The oily roots are more at bay for longer with use of this shampoo. I love the lavender color and the fact it has soothing rosemary extract in it. Definitely recommend!

The best shampoo I've ever used. I can always rely on this to clear out build-up in my hair left by other shampoos and conditioners. Not only does this shampoo do what it says it does, it smells good/clean/refreshing, and isn't harsh at all. Sometimes I simply need a hair "detox," and this is the perfect solution.

Not terribly expensive as far as salon shampoos go. I will definitely buy again.

on 7/5/2010 7:36:00 PM

I use this shampoo once a week to get rid of product build up from my moisturising shampoo, conditioner and styling product. I've never used a clarifying shampoo before, this is my first time using one and it really does make a difference to my hair. Because it is my first time, I can't compare it to other clarifying shampoos, but I really like this product. I was scared that it would dry out my already dry 2a/b curls, but it left them feeling clean and soft if I use a conditioner after it. The packaging is pretty plain and the smell is very gentle and weak, I don't mind them at all. It gives a great lather and you need a small amount, and it just cleans so well without over drying. I would most definitely repurchase this shampoo, it does a really great job and I love it.

Popular Shampoos