Sonia Kashuk Contour Brush (14)

4.1

on 12/27/2012 7:27:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I use this brush for my bronzer and i am happy. BLends very well.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I'm reviewing the white-handled large angled contour blush brush, still available at Target for only a few bucks. Very soft, very huge brush, so it's not great for applying color, unless your face is about twice the size of mine. HOWEVER, it is good for blending blush. I've also used it when my regular eye blender brush isn't quite macho enough to smudge a smokey eye -- this will blend several ZIP codes of shadow together in a swipe or two. I've had no bristles fall out, ever.

To Read all 12 Reviews, Login or Join

on 4/12/2008 11:58:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

When I initially used this as a blush brush I was very disappointed. The bristles, although very soft, are short and tightly packed so it can deliver too much color to the face. Also, because the diameter of the brush is small, you have to do more buffing to cover more area and this is where you can get streaking problems. HOWEVER, I found this blush to be VERY effective when using blushes that are low-pigmented. I have a few blushes that barely showed up on me before using other brushes, but with this brush I can really get the color to show up nicely. So in conclusion, I'd avoid this brush for (OTT) "easy-to-overdo-blushes" and give it a thumbs up for subtle blushes that can afford to be extra buffed. Oh, I love the sheek handle too.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

I actually do not use this brush for its intended purpose: for contouring cheek color. That being said, I suppose I can't bash the brush for not doing its job that way, because the brush head is quite small and would probably only be able to put a tiny swipe of color down anyway.

HOWEVER, I do love this brush and I use it everyday! I have the one with the white handle, and I bought it on sale at Target. I actually only use it with my MAC Shell Pearl Beauty Powder, and I swipe it down my nose for a highlight color, to make my nose look narrower. I also swipe it across my lids for a quick wash of color to make me look more alive on most days, which are usually "natural look" days.

I've washed and cleaned it many times, and it's only ever shed a few hairs ever, so in terms of quality and value for money, Sonia Kashuk really can't be beat. I have this brush as well as the retractable kabuki, which I like, but that one sheds alot. Anyway, for my purposes, this contour brush is by far one of my favorite brushes in my collection and I will definitely repurchase if I lose it or as a replacement when it gets old.

on 7/29/2006 4:09:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I also bought this Angled Contour Brush on clearance, but my handle is white. While I only paid US$4 for this brush, I still feel like it was a waste of money. I had been hoping for a brush that could apply blush in a pinch or perhaps serve some other function. However, I really think that this brush should only be used for applying highlighter to the top of your cheeks or for it's intended purpose- contouring. (The head of this brush is so petite for blush, but too big for my eyelids!) I don't even have enough blushes to match two together for contouring, so I am unable to use it for that. I don't use highlighter, either, so this brush is pretty much useless to me.

So why the low rating? Sure, I know I shouldn't drag it down just because I'm not using a product for what it's meant for. I'd actually give this brush a three, since it's an OK size and seems to apply enough color when I do use it. However, not only does it shed during washing, it sheds during use. It sheds much more than any other brush I've ever used, actually. This brush is either a dud or just poorly made, so I really can't recommend it. If, with use, the shedding stops or at least slows down, I will edit my review to reflect this.

I use this brush every morning! I grab for this more then any of my other brushes (including my 3 MAC bushes) SK brushes are no less in quality then any other brand of bushes I have used and until she stops making them I won't stop buying them. This is a flat semi-wide brush which works perfectly for applying all over the lid, crease, and under the lower lashline. Tip is thin enough to dip into a little water and dip into eyeshadow to form a thin line along lashes for a smokey eye or liquide liner effect. Have stopped wasting my $$ on other brands since discovering SK brushes.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

One of my favorite brushes!! Most of my brushes from my collection comes from SK. I love this brush because it deposits and blends just the right amount of color on the crease. It makes contouring so easy. It does shed a bit, but it's not enough to bother me. These brushes are so affordable. It's easy to build a set and if a brush goes bad, it won't cost you much to replace it.

on 5/15/2004 4:09:00 PM

This has been a great versatile brush for me---I've used for contouring cheekbone, applying cream blushes and for a sweep of color over the entire eyelid. I have been impressed with the quality for the inexpensive price---in fact I actually find the quality fairly similar to a few of my Mac, BB, and Lancome, and Stila brushes. I have not experienced shedding either and would re-purchse if I need to do so.

on 2/21/2004 4:35:00 PM

It's a good brush, just don't know the right way to use it. Good for the price.

on 10/12/2003 1:13:00 AM

Hmm...hate to be the lone dissenter, but this is one of the few SK brushes I'm not particularly enamoured of (the other being the angled eyeshadow brush). I guess I just don't quite get what it's for. (Look at me, ending all my sentences in prepositions!) I thought it might work as a mini version of the coveted MAC #168 blush brush, but it just leaves these little circles of blush on my cheeks that make me look like a doll. I also tried using it to apply a wash of eyeshadow, and it's too big and fluffy for my small eye sockets, not to mention scratchy. It looks cool and I'm sure it serves some purpose, so I'll give it 3 lipsticks for now. UPDATE: My existential crisis has come to an end. I use this brush to apply highlighter to the top of my cheekbones and browbones, and it works great. It's still scratchy as hell, though, so my rating remains a 3.

Popular Makeup Brushes