Penhaligon's Quercus

Filtered by hair type : Other
Penhaligon's Quercus

3.7

on 8/9/2010 11:12:00 PM

I generally really like penhaligons overall. And I love this fragrance, its clean, and fresh. Its a classic item. Whenever I am in a white t-shirt, and Jeans vibe - I usually put this one on. Yes I can see how people think its CK one-ish, but its got more layers, smells a little more sophisticated, and less chemically. I would buy again, and keep as part of my massive fragrance collection, If you are all about clean timeless functionality, not so much about florals....I would recommend checking this out.

I really wanted to like Quercus more than I did. I am a sucker for traditional, luxury items of quality and adore the classically stylish Penhaligon's bottles. My favorite genre of perfume is probably citrus. But, Quercus, was just ho hum. It was a thin citrus fragrance with musky notes, none of which had much depth or complexity. It seemed watery and weak, and needless to say it did not last long on my skin. Smell-wise Quercus reminded me a lot of CKOne and who wants to remember that?

I think the biggest obstacle Quercus faces is strong competition from fellow colognes. Its own sister Blenheim Bouquet is a wonderfully sunny floral chypre that leaves Quercus in the shade and raises the question as to why Penhaligon's feels the need to carry both fragrances. Also easily outclassing Quercus are Parfums de Nicolai's Balle de Match, Chanel Eau de Cologne, Eau de Rochas and Bulgari's The Vert Extreme.

Here are the notes from Penhaligon's website: Top- Cardamom, Galbanum, Lime, Bergamot, Lemon, Mandarin; Middle- Jasmine, Muguet; Base- Sandalwood, Treemoss, Musk. (SSS) 5/10

This unisex fragrance turns a bit too masculine on me. I don't get a green scent at all-- more of a citrus opening, deepening into a slightly spicy, almost leathery scent. Don't know where I'm getting that looking at Mayra's notes posted below, but that's what it smells like on me. I might like it better on my husband.

Popular Fragrances