Penhaligon's Quercus

Filtered by age: 36-43
Penhaligon's Quercus

I really wanted to like Quercus more than I did. I am a sucker for traditional, luxury items of quality and adore the classically stylish Penhaligon's bottles. My favorite genre of perfume is probably citrus. But, Quercus, was just ho hum. It was a thin citrus fragrance with musky notes, none of which had much depth or complexity. It seemed watery and weak, and needless to say it did not last long on my skin. Smell-wise Quercus reminded me a lot of CKOne and who wants to remember that?

I think the biggest obstacle Quercus faces is strong competition from fellow colognes. Its own sister Blenheim Bouquet is a wonderfully sunny floral chypre that leaves Quercus in the shade and raises the question as to why Penhaligon's feels the need to carry both fragrances. Also easily outclassing Quercus are Parfums de Nicolai's Balle de Match, Chanel Eau de Cologne, Eau de Rochas and Bulgari's The Vert Extreme.

Here are the notes from Penhaligon's website: Top- Cardamom, Galbanum, Lime, Bergamot, Lemon, Mandarin; Middle- Jasmine, Muguet; Base- Sandalwood, Treemoss, Musk. (SSS) 5/10

on 7/21/2003 3:01:00 PM

This is becoming my new signature scent - get lots of compliments from men on this. This is the sort of scent you only notice when close :o) Very fresh, light, clean. Quercus is marketed as a unisex fragrance after all.

Another reviewer suggested it was very similar to EL's Pleasures which I don't agree with at all. That's sweet, floral with a dash of spice and dare I say synthetic-smelling - very different to Quercus which is much sharper to my nose. Just done a quick test of both as I have a sample of Pleasures at the moment - which reminds me to bin it.

Not many fragrances that I repurchase but on my 2nd bottle of this already. Now off to wash away Pleasures...

Popular Fragrances