Clairol Nice'n Easy HairPainting Highlights

Price: $

on 12/28/2016 3:57:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Do not recommend!
This product has changed, and not for the better, since I last tried it yrs ago. For starters, the quantity of product provided is inadequate for all-over highlights, unless you have short hair. My hair is midway down my back, and the amount of product ran out before I was done with the amount of hair I was planning on highlighting. And that was even with me skimping on the amount I used. So, of course my hair did not bleach to a blonde shade, even though the package claimed even black hair gts bleached to a golden blonde. My hair ended up light red, and I even left it on longer than the recommended maximum of 45 minutes. Since this product does not even come with the highlighting pullthrough cap, I would have been better off just buying some powdered bleach and developer...probably would have cost less and gotten better results.

on 1/9/2011 6:23:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I wish there was a maybe option for "would you buy this again" because I'm not sure. My main issue with this product is the consistency of the bleach. When you mix the powder with the developer it gets clumpy. No amount of mixing would make it smooth. It isn't the easiest to apply.

You can achieve pretty natural looking highlights if you are patient; and you must be patient with this if you plan to use it.

I had salon highlighted color that I haven't touched up in about 6 months (I was recently laid off and now I'm conserving cash). A week before using this product I tried Clairol's root touch up on my growth in an attempt to blend my natural dishwasher/dirty blonde roots into my platinum highlights. My roots ended up lighter and blending better, but a little "hot" and brassy. I picked up this product to further help blend the roots into the rest of my hair. In hindsight, I probably would have been better off just using this product and not the root touch up kit.

I used a tail comb to pick up small sections of hair and then wove it through like a stylist would do to pick out small sections to highlight. I tried brushing the product on but it was clumpy and didn't apply evenly. I used my fingers to smooth it onto the strands. I ended up removing the gloves (bad - I don't recommend it, but it did work better for me) in order to have more control over application. I had about 50% of the bleach left over, but since it was my first time with this, I applied it conservatively.

My hair looks better, but not perfect. I had the most success around my face. I only did the crown of my head and around my face.

For best results, have a friend help you with the back of your head. It's hard to see (you have to strategically move around your mirrors) and your arms will get tired!

If I can find a highlighting kit that isn't so clumpy, I may try it instead.

Did strand test first to make sure I wasn't going to get brass. I have dark ash blonde hair that is getting a few greys. Used Clairol Hairpainting--it's straight up bleach and can be left on for up to 90 minutes!!! I only need about 35.

I mix the test strand amount of the powder and developer and, with a real slanted brush, do very thin strands. I am right-handed, so I put a glove on my left hand only to smooth the highlighting mixture through each section after brushing through. My right hand is ungloved so that I can pick up sections of hair easily.

The first time, I did the front and a few around my head--really thin strands. I sometimes part my hair on the side and so did a few on the part. Waited, rinsed, dried.

checked out where more were needed. Made sure to do some on the under layer of hair around my ears for when I wear my hair up. Mixed up another small batch and applied. Was complimented on the job. No one could believe I did it myself.

Today, I parted my hair in the middle and weaved a few more in--did a few more in the back. Again, thin strands, comb through, dab close to root with pointed part of brush and then smooth through whole strand with brush and then a gloved hand. The back takes time--I had to keep looking with a hand mirror and picking up the strands with my ungloved hand and then thinning them with the pointed end of the highlight brush.

It looks better than when I get foils--seriously. I get the real highlight look because by doing it a bit at a time, it is *so* much easier to see where the correct placement should be because you can easily see where the other highlights are.. When I'd try to do my whole head, I usually ended up with some chunky parts and an overdone top layer. This technique is great for touchups, too.

on 11/30/2004 1:01:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I used this on my sister for kind of a funny purpose. She dyed her hair black over a year ago, and now her (long) roots are dark brown, but the black is impervious to all treatments. She's sick of it and wanted to use something to lighten it. We first used the dark brown shade of Couleur Experte, which looked great on the top of her head but didn't do anything to the black ends. So we got a Hairpainting kit, the one for darker hair, mixed the bleach, and glooped it all over her ends. We didn't bother with specific strands, but just plopped on handfuls of the stuff and rubbed it in. Then we put her hair in a plastic bag for an hour or so - twice as long as recommended. The end result was that her hair lost some of its black pigment and ended up with a pleasant reddish cast to it. Her hair is still shiny and soft, and she was pleased with the results. The kit was easy to use, but the paste did stink of ammonia and burned my eyes. Frost and Glow smells much better.

Ugh. I used this in "Golden Highlights." This only took more to my roots than the rest of my hair & looks too brassy...now I have to try to correct it.

Yuck! Too brassy for my med/dk brown hair. L'oreal Cremelights is my Holy Grail!!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I tried this in the Auburn shade. I have dark brown hair & this gave me pretty highlights which will be perfect for warmer weather. This kit is easy-to-use and gave me good results. The shampoo that comes in the kit is amazing--leaves hair soft and silky but not weighed down at all. I wish that the shampoo was available for sale in a full-size bottle, that little 0.5 oz is enough for only a single use. For some reason, this kit is hard-to-find where I live but I circumvented that problem by buying off ebay. If you want highlights in about an hour for under $15 I suggest this kit. I haven't tried any other shade but Auburn, but I had a subtle yet pretty results with this. I would say my results were true to the color chart on the side panel of the box. I never do a strand or allergy test--bad, I know--but I put the formula on & left it for the full 30 minutes and voila! I finished with beautiful highlights that look either salon-perfect or courtesy of Mother Nature. Golden-haired girls take note: the formula for blonde hair can be left on hair up to 90 minutes so you might want to do a strand test before doing your entire head.

I intend to repurchase this b/c I like the instant gratification of cheap, easy, beautiful highlights.
This is totally worth trying out if you can get this were you live.

Happy Highlighting!

on 1/3/2004 6:13:00 PM

This is the first highlighting kit I've tried. I was tired of paying a lot at the salon so I decided to try an "at home" kit. I purchased the "Golden" shade. My hair is dark brown, bordering on black, with about 5% gray.

I'm so happy with this kit! It's easy to use, no foil is required - just brush in with the special brush provided. The highlights are easy to mix, easy to apply and don't smell *too* bad. There is an ammonia smell, but it's not very strong or overwhelming.

This kit did a fabulous job. I did a strand test first and was pleased that my highlights really were "golden" and not red or brassy. I left the highlights on for the maximum time and they turned out fantastic. That was 6 weeks ago, and they have not faded or changed color at all. It did a nice job of covering my 5% gray as well.

I paid $12.99 for my kit at my local CVS drugstore.

I will definitely re-purchase this kit! continued >>

on 5/19/2003 3:05:00 PM

This is a great Highlighting kit. I've used this on my hair as well as some of my friends. I've used the "Golden" formula. It does exactly what the package says. Subtle Golden Highlights. I have dark brown hair and I put this on for the maximum time. I love it. Indoors you can see it's a bit lighter but outdoors in the sun you can really see the golden highlights. Very subtle and pretty. A friend of mine wants me to do her whole head with the highlights..I'm thinking I should too =)

*I've used ExtremeFX, it's very bold.lightens extremely fast.