Alberto VO5 detangle and shine spray

Alberto VO5 detangle and shine spray

3.8

Price: $

Price: $

I am surprised at the relatively above-average rating for this product because it is CRAP!!! It actually made my hair even more tangled and less shiny!! And worst part of all--it broke out my forehead in all these horrible flesh-colored clogged pores that took forever to get rid of! I hated this and was ready to get rid of it after I discovered all these issues. Sad that this didn't work but it only cost a couple dollars, so I didn't feel to guilty parting ways with this product after all.

i love this stuff. it makes my hair soft, which nothing else has been able to accomplish. it smells good and keeps me from having to tug at my wet hair. i'm on my second bottle right now.

on 7/23/2011 10:40:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I see their are mixed reviews here. I personally like this. I was in the supermarket and noticed not a lot of companies still do the spray leave in conditioners. I remember in the 90's every brand seemed to have one. I grabbed Alberto Vo5 because it's so cheap. I think it's not the best out there but it still works very good. I do have to spritz a lot in to get the best results (12-15 pumps of spray). My hair is very thick, color treated, dry, long past bra strap and has the annoying texture of straight AND wavy with a whole lot of frizz. I spray this on before I brush and blow dry. I feel that it does a good job detangling but a mediocre job at providing shine (I have to add a different product for more shine). I like the scent of this and feel this is nice for people who are sensitive to scents. Obviously, you need to use a regular conditioner in the shower because this, imo is a very light conditioner. I rate this a 4 because it's a good product for the price. However, I think I when I run out of this, I wil search for a better one.

on 3/24/2009 4:16:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I'm reviewing this product in conjunction with the other products that I used at the same time (Hempz Hydrating Shampoo, Silky Sexy Hair Conditioner, and Hask Pure Shine Frizz Remedy). I'm not sure how each product works alone, but this combination was like MAGIC for my long, thick, and coarse hair!
I was already using Hempz Hydrating Shampoo and the matching conditioner, but since the conditioner is in a small tube, rather than a bottle, I ran out. I decided to run to Wal-Mart and pick up what seemed like a good conditioner until I could run out to ULTA and pick up more Hempz. I loved the smell of the Silky Sexy Hair Conditioner (smells like a banana split), so I bought it. I also remembered reading on MUA how Hask Pure Shine Frizz Remedy was great for coarse hair, so I picked it up too. On the way home I remembered that I had run out of my favorite detangler, Sunsilk, so I stopped by Walgreens, but was told by the cashier in the beauty dept. that Sunsilk was discontinuing this product, so I decided to go with VO5 Detangle and Shine.
After trying all of the products together, I was so pleased with all of my choices! My hair is silkier and softer than it has ever been. What a transformation in just one week! I don't know which product made this happen, so I'm crediting them all! I encourage anyone with long, thick, and coarse hair to try this combo. It's worked miracles for my hair!

on 8/31/2005 12:40:00 AM

DESCRIPTION OF ME Asian with a warm complexion (C3-C4 in MAC) with strong yellow undertones and some peach. Black hair. Oily skin that is prone to breakouts. Long, layered and very slightly wavy hair that is fine but has a LOT of volume.

GENERAL DESCRIPTION Spray that adds shine and helps detangle hair. Around $3 US at most drugstores. 295 mL/10 fluid ounces.

PACKAGING This product comes in a standard plastic spray bottle. Not particularly chic but it works. If I could make improvements on it, I would add grip or make the shape more ergonomic. I sometimes have a problem with the bottle slipping out of my hands when I use it right after I get out of the shower.

SHINE It adds shine but not a jaw-dropping amount. If I bought this for the shine, I would have been disappointed.

DETANGLING This is what I bought this product for... and it has made me very happy! I was tired of painstakingly applying conditioner evenly throughout my long and voluminous hair and rinsing it off carefully. Sometimes I would be in such a rush that I would forget to rinse it off and I would have to jump back into the shower. If I don't do all of this, I would never be able to comb my hair without pain or a lot of lost hair.

Detangle and Shine has ended all of that. I just spritz it onto my hair and my comb easily runs through. It takes less than a minute to do. I can use it on dry or wet hair too. Even though conditioning used to take me about ten minutes, that's ten minutes every morning when I am just hurrying to get the day started!

TEXTURE OF HAIR This product leaves my hair so soft!

SCENT When I first smelled this product, I didn't get why people were giving it such a bad review. It has a flowery, fruity smell that is slightly reminiscent of hairspray. It does smell synthetic but I liked it. However, I saw what the big fuss was all about when I actually used the product all over my hair. It felt like I was surrounded by some sort of noxious, poisonous gas. Truly gag-inducing. It smelled like thick, musty old-lady perfume.

However, I have learned to live with it. I simply hold my breath, spritz and leave the bathroom immediately. The upside is that the scent dies down when the product dries on my hair and becomes that pleasant floral/fruity aroma that I liked.

OVERALL GREAT product that has cut a lot of time out of my morning routine. Considering how little of the product I use to get the desired effect, it may actually be more economical to use than even the cheapest conditioners. I will definitely repurchase unless I find an even more inexpensive alternative.

I took off one point for the scent though. continued >>

on 10/24/2013 8:32:00 PM

Love this product. I have very fine long hair and it gets tangled all the time! I decided to try this product out and omg I love it! I've recomended this to everyone i know that has the same problem as me and they love it as well. The only problem I have is i can not find it anywhere. Hope they haven't discontinued this product because I honestly don't think I can find anything better than this.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I really liked this product when I first bought it, but I think my hormones have changed since then, and it's just not enough for my gnarly hair anymore.

It's great for detangling and adding extra softness to the ends of your hair, but it's not a stand alone conditioner. I still need to use a traditional conditioner in the shower, and then I can use this in addition to that.

Love this ♥! It's super cheap and really works at getting those gnarly tangles out. If I didn't have this for my comb out after my shower I literally would lose fist fulls of hair.

on 10/6/2010 10:44:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Awesome product! and affordable! I had issues with my hair getting oily within 1 day of shampooing and now I realize it is because my hair/scalp was dry!! Using this after shampooing, has helped moisturize my hair/scalp so the shampoo's last upto 3 days!

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This works!! and it's so cheap! don't buy expensive designer brand hair products!
This detangles and does not leave hair feeling oily or greasy.

Popular Styling Products