MAC Frost Lipstick in New York Apple

MAC Frost Lipstick in New York Apple
MAC - Lipstick in New York Apple (Frost)Frost Lipstick in New York AppleFrost Lipstick in New York AppleFrost Lipstick in New York Apple

4.5

on 9/23/2011 4:26:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

I only bought this because of a SA reccomendation to put this on top of Ruby Woo.. and she was right. I never wear this alone. On top of Ruby Woo it adds a more amped up Red.

This is the third red lipstick I've bought from Mac which has utterly knocked my socks off - they've all been very different, and beautiful beyond belief.

New York Apple I would describe as a versatile, warm, cheerful red; the hue's fairly muted but complex, with hints of copper and pink worked through it, in almost a duochrome effect - the resultant overall shade made me think of the toffee on a *candy* apple - very warm and flattering and I imagine would suit practically everyone without being too full-on, even "red lipstick virgins".

On top of this, you've got the Mac Frost lipstick formulation, which means lots and LOTS of glitter... I find Mac Frosts vary from lippie to lippie (some are very drying while others have a smoother creamier formulation, and the glitter particle size varies a lot), and in the case in New York Apple the lipstick's smooth and fairly creamy for a Frost, plus the glitter is subtle and very finely milled..... the finish reminded me of a metallic car paint, very classy indeed and not too OTT "glitterbomb" at all.

Really pleased with this and it has quickly become a mainstay of my collection. New York Apple's a real chameleon of a lipstick too, being glam enough for evening wear, but not too OTT to pair with a neutral eye and a suit for a daywear "work" look. continued >>

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

I bought this because I was looking for a lipstick that was red-toned but not an actual red. I wanted something more suited for everyday wear. Wow is this ever a lovely colour! It's a pinky reddish colour that looks GORGEOUS on! And pale girls - don't be afraid to try this one! It brightens up my ivory skin without looking overpowering or too theatrical. It almost looks luminescent. I got 3 compliments within half an hour of wearing this colour! When you want a bright colour but not crazy bold red, this is your go to colour. It does wear off kind of fast, but it doesn't bother me considering the beautiful, unique colour. Another great colour courtesy of MAC.

on 1/21/2011 2:20:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

My favorite red lipstick is long discontinued: Revlon Velvet Touch Moonlit Wine. That red was a combo of slightly sheer muted plummy red lipstick with lots of gold shimmer to warm it up. The balance of warm and cool makes it perfect for me.
New York Apple is not a dupe. It is a lighter brighter red, with somewhat cooler shimmer, not much gold, but it is as close as i have found so far. It looks nothing like the single sample swatch at the head of this article. It really does look like the photo of the actual lipstick included among the photos.
I don't like bright red lipstick, not on me, and frankly, not on most of the celebs who have been wearing it the past few seasons. New York Apple lets me wear red without feeling as if i look like a clown.

on 10/16/2015 11:42:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Probably the only frost I would consider. I have dark lips and this is so beautiful. Layers make it opaque. Love it. Dupe is Revlon Colorburst Lipstick in Raspberry.Rimmel's A Drop of Sherry

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This is the first "frost" lipstick I've ever bought from MAC and I have to say that I am delighted with it. MAC seems to have mastered making frosted products (for eyes, cheeks and lips) that are not garish or glaring; rather the frost just imparts a softness and light to the product so that even more "mature" women like me can achieve a flattering look with these products.

New York Apple is a very pretty, very wearable pinkish red. It's not a difficult red to wear (not like Ruby Woo or some of MAC's other very bright or very dark reds). The frost seems to add a lightness to it that further keeps it looking too dark or extreme. This lipstick also seems to wear and last very well. I just got this the other day and I've worn it non-stop since. My husband, who doesn't like vampy red lips (and will comment if he thinks I'm wearing a red lipstick that is too harsh looking) commented on how pretty and refreshed I look when I came in wearing this (nice guy, no?). I know corals and orange shades are big for spring this year but speaking as someone who has never liked those shades and doesn't look good in them, New York Apple is a GREAT shade for springtime because it does look so bright and fresh!
UPDATE: Now that autumn is here, this continues to be a fantastic lipstick shade for this time of year. New York Apple is a total winner!

on 7/31/2010 3:50:00 PM

I got this as a back to MAC. Once again, this looked far different in the store, it had more of a berry/red color, as time went on it turned an orange/brown/red on me. I actually like the gold frost in this lippie, but the color didn't work for me. Once you use MAC's lustre formula lipsticks you just can't put anything else on...they all seem to drag. Back to Sophisto, but I'll hang on to this for the fall/winter.
EDIT: Came back to give this some lippies. I LOVE this color. It just works perfectly with my coloring now. Warm/sorta tan/blonde. It come up more of a fuschia/pink/berry/red now than it did before. It brightens my face...I'm a few years older now than when I reviewed it before, maybe now I need that 'lift' of color and this does it. It is a complicated color and I've always liked colors that are not just pink or red. Also, I'm a true sucker for frost lippies...to me they give more depth rather than matte.

on 12/6/2015 1:18:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is one of the few frosts that I like. It's a beautiful red that works well with muted, cool colours (Soft Summer). Paired with a dark, muted teal sweater, it's to die for. The catch is that it looks best when I conceal the red around my lips.

It works nicely as a red blush too.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Purchased this for my Mom as she doesn't like bold color.She likes the way this is sheer with one swipe & its buildable so you can make more opaque.It really is a gorgeous color,not for me but is great for her.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

This is a beautiful color, despite its being a frost. I love it and it looks good on my NW43 complexion. I pair it with a vino lip liner, or currant. Beautiful. I would definitely purchase again.