Neutrogena Healthy Defense Oil-Free Sunblock Lotion SPF 45

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Neutrogena Healthy Defense Oil-Free Sunblock Lotion SPF 45

2.9

Active Ingredients: Avobenzone 2%, Homosalate 12%, Octinoxate 7.5%, Octisalate 5%, Oxybenzone 6% Inactive Ingredients: Water, Methylpropanediol, PVP/Eicosene Copolymer, Sorbitan Isostearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearic Acid, Isostearic Acid, Glycerin, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Retinyl Palmitate, Bisabolol, Triethanolamine, Cetyl Phosphate, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Copolymer, Disodium EDTA, Chlorphenesin, Benzoic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Fragrance

what a waste of time! I'm a mom of toddlers and I love using a moisturizer with spf. it cuts down on the time I take getting ready. I wsa at the drugstore and they were out of the spf30 one and I thought of well spf45 will just protect me longer right? ugh! my t zone was an oil slick! it clogged my pores and on top of that the suncreen is not stable!!! this one has gone into my trash and I will not be buying again. I currently use the biore spf30 mois and its wonderful.

I had a horrible allergic reaction to this stuff. My skin isn't normally particularily sensitive, but after using this sunscreen I got hives all over my body, redness, terrible itching, all of which lasted for about three days after I used it. I would NOT recommend it to ANYONE. I can't comment on the effectiveness because I can't tell if my skin is red from sunburn or still red from the hives. Plus it's INCREDIBLY greasy. Okay my skin isn't breaking out-- but oil-free? Are you f-ing kidding me? My face has never been as oily as this stuff made it. Ugh. Worst sunscreen ever. I only bought it because it was on sale-- that'll teach me, I guess.

My skin type: Combo & mild sensitivity. I got the Target alternative.

~Pros:
SPF 45 (enough for me=])
Less is more!(dot size is enough)
Cheap(around 7$-10$)
Absorbs fast
Squeeze tube

~Cons:
If used to much, it can be greasy/oily
Doesn't last very long(4-5 hours)/needs to be set with powder
Sunscreen smell(not to bad)
Chemical sunscreen
Gave me a rash on my face

on 4/12/2008 3:18:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is just too greasy for those with an oily T-zone. It may be "oil-free" but don't let that fool ya. Stays tacky throughout the day and does not seem to melt into the skin at all. I do like the smell of it though, nice orange scent. I'll just use it on my neck and such. Update: stains my clothes orange. Haven't noticed any breakouts so that's a plus. The search for SS continues....

on 6/28/2006 8:09:00 PM

Holy oil slicks batman. This sunscreen felt and looked like baby oil on my face. In addition, it makes my eyes sting and the smell is quite strong (although inoffensive). It does work as a sunscreen so it does do the job. I was about to toss it because of the greasiness. Then I tried it over NeoStrata's toning solution and it completely changed. There is very little shine at all. I will finish the bottle (too cheap to throw it out now) but I won't repurchase.

Skin: Combination, Other, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

Quite a mediocre product. It does protect me from the sun, and doesn't really seem to break me out, but it is very greasy and leaves my face not only shiny but with really big pores like a paper towel. I have to put way more foundation over it than I usually use, and powder, and my makeup doesn't last nearly as long. I needed this for everyday!! I'm giving it a 4 for price since it is pretty expensive for what it is. Can't imagine what this has in it that makes it so greasy since there's no oil!

Really not quality product for quality price. It does a fine job protecting my skin from the sun, and I do realize that's what sunscreen is for. Still. The product claims to not be greasy, but my face is shinier than a newly waxed floor. Luckily it hasn't made me break out though. I have to put on tons of powder to cover it. The scent is fine, pretty good for a sunscreen. But when I'm not wearing makeup, I want a sunscreen to look like it's not even there. This product does not suceed with that.

This is an okay sunblock. Kind of expensive for a drugstore brand, but if it really felt like it was oil free, I would pay the price. Unfortunately, this is not oil free. Pro: it isn't as greasy as some other sunscreens that I've tried. Con: still not matte enough though. Sigh....I'll keep looking for my HG sunblock. I guess this would be ok if you had really dry skin...

on 5/1/2005 4:28:00 PM

i hate sunscreen. period. now, that being said, this is the only sunscreen that i will actually use. i like the fresh, slightly lemony scent, and i like that it doesn't break me out. but it made my face really shiny and greasy. since i've never tried a sunscreen that hasn't made me feel like an oil slick, i was kind of expecting that. Once i applied makeup though, it wasn't so shiny. i will repurchase, only because, well, i need to wear sunscreen and this sunscreen is the most bearable.

on 4/22/2005 7:02:00 PM

What I'm looking for in a facial sunblock: a very high SPF, completely non-comedegenic, as fragrance free as possible, blends well with makeup and moisturizer, non-stinging, and NOT shiny looking.

Neutrogena's Healthy Defense Oil-Free Sunblock 45 does most of these things: it doesn't break me out, isn't shiny (when worn with makeup - without MU it is) and doesn't sting. BUT: It does have a bit of scent (not coconutty, thank goodness) and also rolls into little balls when you combine it with some foundation primers.

The packaging is good, it dispenses through a fine tipped tube, which means no big globs coming out. It doesn't hit all my criteria, but it's still a solid choice for the money. continued >>