Agent Provocateur Agent Provocateur

Agent Provocateur  Agent Provocateur

3.5

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

if you enjoy Knowing by Estee Lauder then Agent Provocateur is your kind of fragrance. Deep dark floral, dusky rose, though this is lighter than Knowing and am picking up some pine here, not sure.
Starts out a little loud but soon softens to a medium scent which is slightly stronger than a skin scent so its suitable to be worn to the office or anywhere but could need freshening up at least once as it lasts several hours but not all day although it it does retain the scent much longer on clothing where the scent has touched.
This is a relaxed and easy scent to wear if you enjoy a dark dusky rose then you'll be a happy camper, its an awesome comfort scent in my opinion.
Definitely now in my number one favorites lot.
This does not mix well with other scents including other scented body lotions, I once used Little Black Dress body lotion by Avon with this and it was such a sour result.

on 1/26/2015 5:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

The boozy, rose, oakmoss story of Agent Provaocateur is great...it's vintage, womanly, earthy, woody ...and unashamedly so. I love it!

BUT. There is an undercutting note/storyine. Which is salty, urinous and frankly "grubby" smelling. And, I hate it! Read the comments - people are describing the same experience very specifically. I can only think it is an entirely deliberate 'in joke' in the perfumes construction. Bearing in mind Agent Provocateur is a lingerie company.

if you wear AP and can't smell that note you'll be fine. If you wear AP, but the note in question doesn't bother you - you'll also be fine.

Please do some test sprays before you buy, Because if that note bothers you - you will never be able to look past it, you'll always be self conscious, you'll always be checking out your armpits, wondering if your top needs to be washed etc etc.

To Read all 275 Reviews, Login or Join

on 12/6/2014 5:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Found this discounted in TK Maxx, so unfortunately I didn't get to smell it before I bought it. Not really too sure what I think, when you first spray it the smell is bordering on unpleasant, very old fashioned and heavy, however after a few hours on the skin it becomes more wearable. Still quite a dated scent but for the price I paid I'm not complaining. Not a fan of the packaging at all.

on 11/24/2014 2:54:00 PM

Sadly I purchased this without giving it a good try. I was ok with the intense opening and the fact that it smells like something my grandma used to use. By that I mean it's an old-fashioned scent. However what I didn't anticipate is the shrill mothball/ naphthalene middle and base notes. Omg, what was I thinking.
Still 2 lippies because it is a courageous attempt from the brand.

on 10/24/2014 5:55:00 PM

I dislike the pink egg. It's girly, and this is not a frilly girly fragrance but a modern, leathery rose chypre. AP opens with an almost tannic, pronounced, somewhat green, unsweetened rose, but it morphs into a downy soft dry down evocative of a little powder. It isn't a harsh or overtly vintage powder; actually it's quite gentle. I have a skin chemistry issue with certain phenolic chypres like Piguet Bandit, but AP is much easier to handle.

Less animalic and less floral (unkind people would say 'less skunky' ) and easier to locate for better price and condition, than vintage Paloma Picasso mon parfum in the white circular bottle (not black). I would characterize this as a modern homage to Paloma Picasso, or perhaps a less green homage to Caron Or et Noir extrait.

Less green than green bitter walnut (exuberant and polarizing) Nahema or vintage green grassy Ivoire de Balmain (nahema and Ivoire are totally different from each other as well). Less sweet than l'arte di Gucci EdP. I haven't retested L'arte EdT recently - that is more green than the EdP.

No honey, no amber, so not dusky in the same way as vintage Ungaro diva, vintage EL knowing, etc. no extraneous tobacco, incense, smoke, etc etc. There is no fruit that I can detect, even un-sugared fruit, like Voleur de Roses or Caron Femme. This is not gourmand fruity at all.

In an ideal world, if all mainstream perfumes were this good and this reasonably priced, there would be no need for luxury niche. Any hesitation that I have regarding how much of this fragrance to buy has nothing to do with AP's particular merits and more to do with the vast amounts of rose chypre category I already own and the physical problems of fitting a big pink egg into that section of the fragrance wardrobe.

on 7/25/2014 10:23:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Beautiful powdery floral-chypre. I have always loved it. I wore it in my twenties, stopped, then went back to it recently. I adore it as much as I ever did. It isn't as cool and elegant as my ultimate favourite, L'Heure Bleue, but it's nice to have it on my shelf for when I fancy it. Naughty bottle that looks a bit like a breast! (or is it just me?) A modern classic. Just wish it wasn't sold in as many places - originally it was exclusive to one London department store!

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

So many reviews! Agent P has been called a modern rose chypre..for me has a slightly spicy top with a dry dark rose resting on a bed of leather & musk. I don't find the white floral immediately noticable but they are apparent when you compare this scent to a rose soliflore. I feel that these white florals combines with the leathery musky base might be what some feel is 'dirty' or animalic. I don't think this was desinged to be a 'safe'' scent but can understand not everyones cup of tea

If you like dark roses or chypres you will enjoy this, it is not sweet nor fresh. I feel the patchouli is almost chocolaty versus green/herby and I have gotten compliments on this. I gave a bottle away, kept a decant & then had to buy a second bottle. sometimes I just can't decide.lol I find it very reasonably priced from some discounters

Sillage moderat to large depending on application
Longvity 6 hours

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was very excited to try this perfume because i love mature sexy scents. However, when i smelled this, i almost passed out! It is very strong at first and some what nauseating. I sprayed a little on and my sister said "who smells like a grandma?" haha. I'm pretty sure this would scare men away instead of attract them!

on 1/22/2013 5:06:00 PM

I have such a love/hate relationship with this perfume! I'm a massive Agent Provocateur fan and have a ton of their lingerie, so I couldn't wait to try this when it was launched. My first impressions were not good - it was too musky, too overpowering, had too much rose, and it felt kind of old ladyish. I thought it was trying to be retro for the sake of it -and was a bit try hard (in that 'i wear a 50s conical bra' kind of way). However, after many visits to the boutiques, I began to crave the smell and succumbed to buying a small bottle. Gradually my opinion had changed and I began to see the appeal - it reminds me of something a glamourous and wealthy burlesque dancer in Paris might wear in the 40s for an assignation with her lover. And who woudn't like a bit of that magic?! I only wear this when I'm dressing in a vintage style, but strangely, I never wear it when meeting a new lover, as it's a perfume that I think the modern man might find disorientating and overwhelming (at first) but I think over time he just might become addicted to it...

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I just adore this. It makes me feel like a forties screen goddess (so much so that I usually wait until I have my hair up and am wearing Russian Red lippie to put this on).
It smells musky and is remiscent of a cross between Chanel Number 19 and Number 5 (which I know everyone says is an oldies perfume but I love it anyway).
Don't test this anywhere but on the skin, as it smells different on everyone I know. It is delicious on them all though!

Popular Fragrances