MILANI Java Bean (18)

4.7

Price: $

Price: $

Not tested on animals

Holy Grail - sadly no longer being produced. This eyeshadow has been my go to for at least 15 years. I purchase all sorts of other shadows but rarely use them because this shadow does it all for me. I use the slightest amount in the crease and sheer it out over lids and it is perfect - one color for a multi-dimensional look. How does it do it?? I get compliments and have given a few away, much as it has pained me to do so. One little shadow lasts me more than a year. I have dropped them and they have turned to loose powder much to my horror, but I just keep using it and have a bit less control over how much sticks to the brush. I just learned the trick of adding a drop of rubbing alcohol and pressing it back into a cake. This has worked well for me. Milani - bring this back!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I picked this up at the local family dollar, I'm normally really skeptical about buying makeup from cheap outlets but they had stocked some milani items recently, and I am a huge fan of their eyeliner, so I figured I could give it a shot for a $1

I don't regret it at all! has great staying power, the perfect dark brown i needed after I ran out of my merle norman shell shocked trio.

packaging is suprisingly nice looking, and effecient. will be going back to pick up a couple more!

on 8/26/2012 2:09:00 PM

I like this eyeshadow as it is nicely pigmented. On a scale of 1-10 for pigmentation, I'd say 8. The color itself is easy to create smokey eye looks which is what I use it for. However I don't find the color so pretty...just adds depth to my eyes which I like. And for the price, you can't go wrong since it will last you a year probably. I don't use it everyday...I like to switch it up. I use it about twice a week.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This is a great shadow for the price! Its just a dark matte brown. Its very versatile and can be used as a liner, crease colour, all over colour, or brow colour. I took one lippie off since the texture could be better, maybe if it was was smoother. For a dark brown, I prefer Prestige Coffee Bean.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

I wear this eyeshadow almost everyday. It effortlessly looks beautiful. The application is smooth and velvety, it's true to color, and I never have to go back for a second swipe in the pan for more. I've also never had another eyeshadow smoke out and blend so well.

I have NARS Galapagos and Stila Barefoot Contessa, which are similar, but for Milani making such a great quality comparable in Java Bean for a fraction of the price, I wish they would continue making this!

on 9/24/2011 10:29:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This is so gorgeous, a slightly plum-tinged brown with golden shimmer. Its just beautiful as a lid/crease color. It’s soft and quite pigmented. I find it actually goes on too dark on its own, so I wear it over a base layer of Stila ‘Kitten’ or Sonia Kashuk 'Tongue in Cheek' Duo (taupe). Lasts all day over a primer & a base layer of shadow. It’s a great everyday shadow. Its goes with anything, and it’s a safe choice when i don’t know what eye makeup shades to wear, yet its more interesting than just a basic brown. It’s also buildable for a dramatic, nighttime look. One of my most frequently used and best loved shadows. I’ve sought out many dupes (Stila ‘Barefoot Contessa’ and ELF Studio ‘Saddle’ are close), but nothing quite compares. It’s been discontinued for a couple of years, though the pan I have is still going strong. I have repurchased, just to be safe, since it’s still available for a reasonable price on eBay.

on 7/6/2011 10:02:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

Very pigmented, soft and slightly frosty on me NW35/NC42, The color looks horrible on my olive skin, it doesnt work as a lid or crese color, and on the crease is too shimmery and accentuates wrinkles.

I dont like it, but its still a good shadow ;)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

So most of Milani shadows have poor color pay off and crappy textures. This one is actually really nice. It has a velvety texture, goes on very dark, almost too dark. It's like a dark plummy brown with shimmer. One of my favorite Milani eyeshadows.

on 6/7/2010 12:19:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

A perfect shade that I have to stop myself from wearing everyday. Staying power is good when used with a base and it's such a lovely shade. I can't fault it.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

So sad I cant find these anywhere anymore. A really great everyday brown that really is similar to a MAC neutral in terms of color, texture and staying power- I don't usually compare high-end to drugstore b/c thats ridiculous but this is really it. - I went through two and wish I could find them again.