Palladio Herbal Dual Wet & Dry Foundation

Filtered by eye Color : Brown

4.1

Love this foundation. It stays in place all day, and doesn't look too powdery when applied dry with a kabuki brush. I haven't used it wet. I use the shade Natural Clary.
I do wish that it came safety sealed. I was in Ulta, wanting to pick a new one up, and all of the boxes had been opened,and tested already. Gross!

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Neutral

So last week I saw Makeup Alley come out with a Dupe List for high-end brands and this was compared to as a dupe for Lancome's Dual Finish. Since Lancome Dual Finish has been on my wishlist for months, I decided to read the reviews on the Palladio powder. Some of the reviews mentioned that the formula seems to have changed and the shading is a bit off and/or darker than the previously purchased versions. Keeping this in mind, I went to the closest Sally Beauty Supply store and found Cypress Beige which appeared to be a close match but based on reviews I knew it may show up darker. I had a feeling that the Laurel Nude might be a better match but I would start with Cypress. It turned out exactly as it was described, having a bit of an off-shade and if I had to describe it best, I would say that it is almost a bit of a muted beige having some slightly grey undertones. I can see how this would be off-putting to someone with warm tones but work for someone with neutral to cool tones. I decided to re-purpose it into a contouring powder and I am actually pleased with the results. Usually when I contour, shades tend to have a bit of a bronzey brownish-orange hue to them and if I wear blush with it, the combination of bronze and pink tends to give off a bit of an unnatural and overly done cheek. I decided to use Palladio's muted greyish tones to give off a more naturally shaded than made up appearance. For the most natural look, I apply the powder alone to the contour areas and this has become my everyday office look. For my heavier contoured looks, I apply my regular contour shades and then blend it out with this powder to soften it a bit and the lines become undetectable. The consistency of the powder itself is actually nice as it doesn't show up chalky on the skin and it's just the right amount of matte without being too matte. I tried it wet and it dries so fast that it went on streaky and didn't give me enough play time to blend it out. My face ended up looking dirty so I just stick to applying it dry. I'm going to try the Laurel Nude next and will follow-up with a review on that later.

**UPDATE JUNE 15, 2015: I bought the Laurel Nude over the weekend and tried it out. It's actually very nice and natural but it has some slightly pink tones that are not so bad but would look more amazing on pinkish/reddish skin tones. I don't think I would compare it to a high coverage powder foundation like Lancome Duo Mat (not that I have tried it) but I would actually closely compare it to being an almost bang-on dupe for the M.A.C. Mineralize Skin Finish. It doesn't go on heavy so it's a perfect finishing touch over foundation. It's actually great for going to the store to run an errand or going to the gym where you don't want to look made up but just enough coverage to look natural. It seems to cover just enough without looking like I'm wearing makeup. If only Palladio could come up with a yellow based shade this would be a perfect 10 for me.

I have used this for years and found this to be a reliable everyday foundation that offered good fast coverage didn't break me out or the bank. I recently bought a new one and was extremely disappointed! Its dark blotchy ugly. A coworker even asked what is on my skin that it looks dark lol. I guess it's time to say goodbye!
Update : because of my stubbornness I baught a lighter shade to see if the would work. Laurel nude is better but not very good coverage. Old formula was matte and had good coverage. Also oxidizes and turns orange.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is my favorite powder foundation but I also like to use it as a setting powder/a powder to wear over foundations/BB creams with lighter coverage. I am on the oilier side, especially in my t-zone, and this keep the oil at bay when I wear it. I don't find the finish very matte. It's very natural and skin-like. The packaging is wonderful, with a mirror and a separate compartment for a sponge. It's nice to travel with and to keep it your purse for touch-ups.

I did not give it a fifth lippie for two reasons: I found it confusing to figure out my shade (the names are really deceiving as well) and I don't think there are enough lighter shades. Also, the pan isn't very deep, so I hit pan on this after only a few weeks of continual use.

So I just hit pan on my Paula's Choice Healthy Finish Pressed Powder Makeup in Neutral and decided to try this powder because it's only $10.99 and I had a 20% off coupon from Ulta. I matched myself with Luarel Nude which closely matched my Paula's Choice shade. The next best was Cypress Beige but that was too beige. Too --- I don't know. The colors in this line are weird. All the colors in the pan looked the same. I had to test all of them to get my color just right. Good thing Ulta has such great service. The problem is, the powder has glitter in it. It didn't make any sense to me because it's supposed to be matte. I guess they changed their formula recently. It used to be ( and as of today, it's still on their website as the old formula -- Rated a BEST by Beautypedia) :Talc, Mica, Lauroyl Lysine, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Starch, Nylon-12, Magnesium Stearate, Boron Nitride, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Squalane, Zinc Oxide, Dimethicone, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, ............ I won't bore you with the rest. Here is the new formula : Mica, Talc, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Starch,Kaolin,Nylon-12, Boron Nitride, Zinc Oxide, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Dimethicone, Squalane...........SO, NOW, instead of a matte finish, you get this weird, glittery finish that is not AT ALL long lasting and slips off oily skin. It's awful. This company -- instead of focussing their efforts on customer complaints from Makeupalley, etc. like their bulky packaging and awkward colors that are too pink or too light, or no colors for darker skin tones, decided to change the only good thing they had going for them. Anyway, I ended up returning the makeup. It didn't go on evenly and wasn't long lasting and you could see the sparkles on my face. Horrible.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I was very excited about this powder foundation, because I love wearing powder makeup. After some good and some bad mineral foundations, I tried this. The first few minutes (dry application/powder brush) are weird with this, it is very chalky and obvious and awful. Give it five minutes and it soaks up natural oils and looks amazing. Nice evening of tone but light coverage. Loved this aspect.

However, this made me break out like CRAZY. I experimented on and off with this, and made sure I had super clean brushes, and still had just the most angry skin for the days following occasional usage. It's disappointing, because this is the finish and method I like, but this is causing way more problems than it can cover up.

***UPDATE 2015 May 6*** I've had to shelve this because it oxidizes when I use sunscreen. I don't know if this varies depending on the sunscreen, but this turns unsightly over the ones I've used: LaRoche-Posay, Lancome Gn-Shield Make-Up Base, and Coppertone Faces. Using a primer over the sunscreen before makeup application only delays the inevitable. After several mortifying incidents, I'm moving on.

[Original Review: 4 stars:
*HG* I love the convenience of a powder foundation. Sadly, mineral foundation is not for me; every brand I've tried magnifies my pores into full-on craters and looks caked on. I've had better luck with dual wet/dry formulas (used dry), but the ones I liked were rather inaccessible (from Korea) or just to pricey for the amount of product per package (Bobbi Brown).

The Palladio is a godsend in so many ways. It takes seconds to apply, evens out redness and mild discolorations, doesn't irritate my hypersensitive skin or clog my pores, and makes me look polished, not made-up. I use a kabuki brush to dust a small amount onto my face before using the included make-up sponge to press the powder into my skin. Then I use the sponge to pat on a little more onto areas that need more coverage. The finish is initially quite powdery, but after a while (15-30 mins, depending on humidity) the product seems to meld with the oils in my skin to produce a smooth, natural finish.

A few caveats:
1. Doesn't really do much in the way of oil control. I have always had really oily skin. Blotting frequently is just second nature, and I have yet to find a product that has made blotting unnecessary. I do have to say that this stands up well to oil and blotting -- meaning, the oil doesn't cause caking or unevenness in the overall finish. I use a sheet of kleenex then touch up if necessary--which is easy because the compact is portable, sturdy, and relatively compact.

2. I have several supersize pores on the sides of my nose, and when I put this on, the powder just seems to just sit around the edges without filling in/concealing. For me, it's usually sufficient to blend lightly with my fingers after about a half hour, and that's only if it occurs to me. Wet application may work for you, though I have never had much luck using dual/two-way cakes in wet form, and for me the beauty of this product is that it is so quick and low-maintenance. If I were as motivated as I used to be, I would probably use this with a good primer.

3. The biggest failing for me is the color selection. I fall somewhere in the NC25-NC30 range, Korean, yellow undertones. I've been using this for about two years in Cypress Beige, and while it's an ok match, this sometimes looks slightly pink. I switched to Everlasting Tan this summer and it's been a good match for my tan, but again, I wish it were more yellow-based.

4. I don't know if this is real or a fluke, but a few months ago I compared my near-empty pan of Cypress Beige to the new one I'd bought and the old one was significantly darker. Either this has a tendency to oxidize in the pan or this was a product inconsistency.

This costs 11-12 dollars, though I usually buy in twos at ulta when they have BOGO1/2 promotions. I think each one lasts me about 6-7 weeks. YMMV depending on how you use it. I _can_ say this lasts me significantly longer than the Bobbi Brown dual (illuminating something) for a fraction of the price.

This is my everyday foundation, for pretty but natural skin. When I need perfection, I still turn to my MUFE F&B, but seriously, I love not having to dirty my fingers putting on makeup every single day. ]

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I just got this today and I'm pretty excited about it. I'm trying to find a replacement for my beloved Maybelline Dream Matte powder and I think this may be a hit. It blurs all my imperfections and makes me look flawless! I'm not sure it holds up well against my extremely oily skin but when I get oily with this powder, it only looks like my natural skin but better. This has beautiful, natural looking, almost completely matte coverage and finish. So far, I'm loving this and the loose powder version.
EDIT- This isn't my shade and there isn't one to match my skin tone. Also, this doesn't control my oils well.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Having looked high and low for a good powder foundation (see all my past reviews) I *finally* *finally* found this little gem. My coloring is NC30/35 and Cypress Beige was an excellent match. While I don't think this would be a longer lasting powder (8-10 hrs), it has worked for me for the duration of 5-6 hours. I have very oily & fickle skin, and many oil-free and shine-free products that others rave about do nothing for me. I do wear a shine-controlling primer with sunscreen as a base for this, and it might be the reason why it has worked for me but not for other reviewers. I found the coverage to be very good, although shade selection is limited. You can't beat $10 for this, while higher end powder foundations sell for more than twice. This one's a keeper!

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Not buildable wet or dry. Does not last long. I hit pan after 1 week of daily use. Coverage is light to medium at best. Claims to control shine and oil, does not control shine or oil. Sponge shreds before you finish product. Only plus is that it's better than BE. Will not re-purchase.