Palladio Beauty Herbal Dual Wet & Dry Foundation

Filtered by skin type : Combination

4.2

I have used this for years and found this to be a reliable everyday foundation that offered good fast coverage didn't break me out or the bank. I recently bought a new one and was extremely disappointed! Its dark blotchy ugly. A coworker even asked what is on my skin that it looks dark lol. I guess it's time to say goodbye!
Update : because of my stubbornness I baught a lighter shade to see if the would work. Laurel nude is better but not very good coverage. Old formula was matte and had good coverage. Also oxidizes and turns orange.

So I just hit pan on my Paula's Choice Healthy Finish Pressed Powder Makeup in Neutral and decided to try this powder because it's only $10.99 and I had a 20% off coupon from Ulta. I matched myself with Luarel Nude which closely matched my Paula's Choice shade. The next best was Cypress Beige but that was too beige. Too --- I don't know. The colors in this line are weird. All the colors in the pan looked the same. I had to test all of them to get my color just right. Good thing Ulta has such great service. The problem is, the powder has glitter in it. It didn't make any sense to me because it's supposed to be matte. I guess they changed their formula recently. It used to be ( and as of today, it's still on their website as the old formula -- Rated a BEST by Beautypedia) :Talc, Mica, Lauroyl Lysine, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Starch, Nylon-12, Magnesium Stearate, Boron Nitride, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Squalane, Zinc Oxide, Dimethicone, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, ............ I won't bore you with the rest. Here is the new formula : Mica, Talc, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Starch,Kaolin,Nylon-12, Boron Nitride, Zinc Oxide, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Dimethicone, Squalane...........SO, NOW, instead of a matte finish, you get this weird, glittery finish that is not AT ALL long lasting and slips off oily skin. It's awful. This company -- instead of focussing their efforts on customer complaints from Makeupalley, etc. like their bulky packaging and awkward colors that are too pink or too light, or no colors for darker skin tones, decided to change the only good thing they had going for them. Anyway, I ended up returning the makeup. It didn't go on evenly and wasn't long lasting and you could see the sparkles on my face. Horrible.

Okay I don't love to come on here and slam cosmetics but this truly deserves it. The concept of being able to use wet or dry is interesting and it would be good if it actually worked but this just wasn't doing it for me. I tried using it wet but it made my combination skin look super oily and gross. I tried to give it another chance by using it dry but it didn't provide any good coverage. I did not want to waste it since it was over ten dollars (I usually don't spend over eight bucks on foundation) so I tried to keep using it wet with the sponge provided. The makeup itself did a pretty sucky job and after several uses the sponge completely fell apart. So much for me joining the Palladio Wet/Dry foundation bandwagon. I do love Palladio's lip stains though, so those are worth a try if you haven't given them a chance yet. I will repurchase those but as for this foundation NEVER AGAIN!!!

One word: gross.

This looked like orange mud on my skin. Cakey as all get out and didn't even cover well. Apparently some peeps really love this foundation so if you decide to give it a try just be sure to keep your receipt so you can take this sucker back to Sally's if it looks like ass on you like it did on me.

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

Turns orange.

Based on the reviews here, I was very excited to track down and finally buy this foundation. Unfortunately, it was very dry and cakey-looking on my combination skin. I tried it both wet and dry and did not like the texture or feel of it on my skin AT ALL. Luckily it was pretty cheap, and it's a nicely designed compact.

I will have to jump off this bandwagon. This foundation was horrible on me! Not only are the color choices very limited (and made only for pink toned skin- not yellow) but it provides no coverage. Maybe if you have great skin, you will like it but I have uneven combination skin and this foundation not only didn't make my skin flawless looking, it accentuated my few lines and dry spots, didn't keep my nose un-shiny and worse of all, it faded by lunch time and I looked like I had no makeup on (not a good thing with me). I tried it both dry and wet with no luck. Glad it works for some....just didn't for me. Don't know how there could be such a difference...maybe I got a bad batch? LOL

something is off with this product lately, the laurel nude was a natural tone and now it has a horrifically pink unnatural cast, which I only noticed too late to change at work. Sad as product was perfect before.......

Update: I actually ended up having contact/conversation with this brand, and they suggested I try it again. I recently did in March 2017, and it seems the laurel nude has much less of a pinkish cast, it seems they may have adjusted it. In its current form I find it really useful as a setting powder for Boots No, 5 foundation in ivory (lift and luminize) and whatever concealer I use....blends edges and keeps face shine free. Also good for quick "all I have time for" face for informal days.

I have been religiously using the 400 Laurel Nude compact ever since I started wearing makeup in high school, have ALWAYS loved it. This week, however, I went to purchase the same exact product and surprise, it is WAY darker this time around. Did the shades change? Did the formula change? I look ridiculous, all of my other pale skinned friends have noticed the same thing as well. I'm being forced to switch to ANYTHING else, as long as I don't look makeup illiterate every time I slap this incorrect shade on my face. Extremely disappointing, need more pale skin friendly shades out there.

If you happen to be blessed with more melanin than myself, this is a great, inexpensive, (previously) consistently great product. Hopefully they rethink whatever they're doing with their coloring.

***UPDATE 2015 May 6*** I've had to shelve this because it oxidizes when I use sunscreen. I don't know if this varies depending on the sunscreen, but this turns unsightly over the ones I've used: LaRoche-Posay, Lancome Gn-Shield Make-Up Base, and Coppertone Faces. Using a primer over the sunscreen before makeup application only delays the inevitable. After several mortifying incidents, I'm moving on.

[Original Review: 4 stars:
*HG* I love the convenience of a powder foundation. Sadly, mineral foundation is not for me; every brand I've tried magnifies my pores into full-on craters and looks caked on. I've had better luck with dual wet/dry formulas (used dry), but the ones I liked were rather inaccessible (from Korea) or just to pricey for the amount of product per package (Bobbi Brown).

The Palladio is a godsend in so many ways. It takes seconds to apply, evens out redness and mild discolorations, doesn't irritate my hypersensitive skin or clog my pores, and makes me look polished, not made-up. I use a kabuki brush to dust a small amount onto my face before using the included make-up sponge to press the powder into my skin. Then I use the sponge to pat on a little more onto areas that need more coverage. The finish is initially quite powdery, but after a while (15-30 mins, depending on humidity) the product seems to meld with the oils in my skin to produce a smooth, natural finish.

A few caveats:
1. Doesn't really do much in the way of oil control. I have always had really oily skin. Blotting frequently is just second nature, and I have yet to find a product that has made blotting unnecessary. I do have to say that this stands up well to oil and blotting -- meaning, the oil doesn't cause caking or unevenness in the overall finish. I use a sheet of kleenex then touch up if necessary--which is easy because the compact is portable, sturdy, and relatively compact.

2. I have several supersize pores on the sides of my nose, and when I put this on, the powder just seems to just sit around the edges without filling in/concealing. For me, it's usually sufficient to blend lightly with my fingers after about a half hour, and that's only if it occurs to me. Wet application may work for you, though I have never had much luck using dual/two-way cakes in wet form, and for me the beauty of this product is that it is so quick and low-maintenance. If I were as motivated as I used to be, I would probably use this with a good primer.

3. The biggest failing for me is the color selection. I fall somewhere in the NC25-NC30 range, Korean, yellow undertones. I've been using this for about two years in Cypress Beige, and while it's an ok match, this sometimes looks slightly pink. I switched to Everlasting Tan this summer and it's been a good match for my tan, but again, I wish it were more yellow-based.

4. I don't know if this is real or a fluke, but a few months ago I compared my near-empty pan of Cypress Beige to the new one I'd bought and the old one was significantly darker. Either this has a tendency to oxidize in the pan or this was a product inconsistency.

This costs 11-12 dollars, though I usually buy in twos at ulta when they have BOGO1/2 promotions. I think each one lasts me about 6-7 weeks. YMMV depending on how you use it. I _can_ say this lasts me significantly longer than the Bobbi Brown dual (illuminating something) for a fraction of the price.

This is my everyday foundation, for pretty but natural skin. When I need perfection, I still turn to my MUFE F&B, but seriously, I love not having to dirty my fingers putting on makeup every single day. ]