Beauty Without Cruelty Aromatherapy Purifying Facial Mask

Beauty Without Cruelty Aromatherapy Purifying Facial Mask

Not tested on animals

Organic botanical infusion (calendula, lavender, chamomile), French green clay, kaolin (natural clay), vegetable glycerin, oat flour, oat protein, almond glycerides (from almond oil), allantoin (skin-healing), panthenol (vitamin B factor), organic jojoba oil, sodium pca (natural moisturizer), organic aroma-therapeutic essential oils of Ylang Ylang Extra and Lavender Highland, vitamin E (natural d-alpha tocopherol), vitamin A (retinyl palmitate), and vitamin C (magnesium ascorbyl phosphate), phenoxyethanol, benzyl alcohol, potassium sorbate, citric acid (from citrus fruit)

on 5/20/2009 3:12:00 AM

"There are A LOT of clay masks on the market and most of them are, honestly, the same. Tiny differences at best and often huge differences in price. I've tried everything from mix-your-own to those that require heating or that you put a hot towel over your face the whole time to prevent it from drying out. What a hassle. This BWC mask is the BEST! No joke. I struggle with congested hormonal breakouts (they never rise to the surface of the skin), some actual breakouts, persistant redness, and broken capallaries. For the last year, I use it about once a week after I shower and the results are phenomenal. Generally a clay mask will do one thing: create a sucking action as it dries and pull out dirt, oil, blackheads, and so on. This does just that, but also constricts pores, loosens patchy dry skin, balances oil production, and soothes redness... All without over-drying. The combination of ingredients in this are genius. I also like that this is concentrated and it doesn't take much to liberally cover my face and neck. One jar lasts me about 6 months. (Fyi, after that it starts to dry out in the jar.) I leave it on about 15 minutes or so then remove with a warm washcloth and gentle, upward sweeping motion. I always finish with a splash of cool water to constrict my pores. Then I tone and moisturize. Voila! Radiance! Remember not to use a mask more than twice a week to allow the skin to adjust and positively regenerate. Also, this will cause blemishes to rise to the surface at first, but with regular use will prevent them from forming altogether. Worth every penny!"

This is a pretty decent mask. Clay masks usually dry me out like crazy and give me sensitivities, however this one has a bunch of essential oils and such so that the mask purifies and moisturizes at the same time. It temporarily shrinks the pores for maybe about 2 days, but I have really big pores and super oily skin. Also, it's natural and the price isn't too bad. I paid around $6 something and you don't have to use a lot so it lasts for a really long time.

on 4/11/2008 6:25:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I have very sensitive skin and I haven't had any problems w/ this so far. my skin does look much healthier after I use it, and unlike some "natural" masks I've tried it doesn't leave my skin pinkish and splotchy after removing it. for a clay based mask it does feel incredibly creamy when applying it. it's also very gentle to my dry skin. I have experienced the 'condensation' in the jar that others have mentioned, so it would be nice if the company could do something about that or put it in a tube, but otherwise I have no complaints. I will probably repurchase in the future.

on 12/12/2007 1:39:00 AM

This is not the cheapest mask on the market, but I might repurchase again when I run out, depending on whether other offerings available in the market can trump this.

What I like about it: The fantastic smell and ultrafine texture. The fact that there are beneficial ingredients inside it and not just chemicals.

What I don't: It cracks up at the slightest facial expression. Condensation also occurs inside the jar. I've been storing it in a cool, dry place and only using a clean and dry mother-of-pearl spatula to scoop it out when I wanna use it.

I've never experienced any of the burning sensations that some of the ladies have described here. It is one of the more gentle masks I've tried.

on 1/6/2007 10:02:00 AM

This is a very strong product, and I would rate it higher if it had better directions and labeling. I don't think it is a typical clay mask, it is more of a clay-based exfoliating treamtment. I think it is very acidic, which is why it burns & stings when you apply it. With all the botanicals and citric acid in it, it would have to be acidic unless it had a buffering agent (and I don't see any on the label). I was told by an aesthetician not to let a clay mask dry on your face, but to mist your face while using it - the point of the clay is to absorb impurities, not suck all the beneficial oils out of your skin. (People take clay internally to detoxify their bodies, so it obviously doesn't have to dry out to work! The chemical composition of the clay is what works, not the mechanical drying effect.) She also said to apply only a thin film. So although I applied only a little and didn't let it dry on my face, I did leave it on for 10 minutes according to the directions, which was WAY too long. I was red and itchy for 3 days afterward. However, I noticed that when my skin healed I looked as though I'd had a very successful acid peel. So the next time I used it (a month later) I left it on only 2 minutes and got great results. I only used it twice a month. I didn't repurchase, however; I have milder methods of exfoliating.

on 7/23/2006 12:04:00 AM

I've never been much of a "mask" person as I've found them in the past to do not much of anything for my skin except irritate it or cause me to break out. However, because it's been such a hot summer, and my already oily and congested complexion is taking a major hit, I decided to try this one, and I'm glad I did. It's very easy to rinse off, doesn't irritate my sensitive skin, hasn't caused me to break out, and my skin is softer and smoother each time I use it. I would prefer that it came in a tube for sanitary reasons but that's not a major issue. I'll use this up and continue to purchase unless I find something much better.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

The 1st reviewer is right; this mask was uncomfortable the first time I used it. I don't know why I gave it a 2nd chance but I did & it was okay; no discomfort. I'll probably give other masks a try before re-purchasing this one.