Cinema Secrets Foundation/concealer

4.3

Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cetyl Palmitate, Octyldodecanol, Carnauba, Candelilla Wax, Dimethicone, Kaolin, Aloe, Bisabolol, Fragrance, Tocopherol, BHT and Ascorbyl Palmitate and Citric Acid 8 Glyceryl Stearate 8 Propylene Glycol, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxide. May contain: Ultramarine Blue, DC Red 36, DC Red 7, Calcium Lake, FD&C Yellow 5, Aluminum Lake, FD&C Blue 2.

This a low down review for media foundations—you are reading this if you are researching Cinema Secrets or RCMA foundations (my favorites), which are mainly used by pro MA’s for television, movie and still photography work. But they are becoming more and more popular for those of us wanting superlative natural makeup in day to day life on the streets. Both are versatile as they can function both as opaque concealer or heavy foundation, but also as a more sheer foundation, all from one product. They may turn some consumers off, as they come in very plain pancake screw top packaging—no fancy frosted glass jars, and they aren’t available at your favorite department store with gleaming counters and shimmery lights.

With these foundations you often hear--over and over again--that they apply like “a second skin”. And this is TRUE--being marketed for high definition cameras sets them apart from foundations formulated and marketed toward the consumer. CS and RCMA most often look completely natural on the skin and yet they provide a flawless glowing natural looking coverage. Part of what makes these foundations so natural, so undetectable and so glowing, is not only great unique formulations, but also the fact that they come in a vast array of human skin colored tones and undertones, making it much easier to get a very close match to your skin color. In fact matching colors with CS or RCMA can be dauntingly hard as online color swatches are miserable, and since so few brick and mortar stores sell these foundations for you to try on (except in the largest cities). Camera Ready Cosmetics in Dallas has a wonderful mail-in color matching service for media foundations, and I highly recommend their website. They help over the phone with superlative service too. Plus they’ll even sell you modest samples of these foundations making an excellent color match that much easier to make, not to mention that the samples are large enough that you can try these foundations for a week or more before deciding.

These foundations (particularly RCMA) have a learning curve, and they will take more time to apply in the morning than say slapping on Double Wear or Colorstay or Armani Silk. Media foundations meld into the skin wonderfully, disappearing as they cover redness and imperfections. With a good color match you cannot blend these foundations by spreading the color around on your face (as most of us do with traditional consumer foundations), because you won’t be able to SEE any color as it just melds and disappears into your skin. Instead you have to learn to blend and cover by how much more perfect your skin looks, and how well the redness or scaring or other imperfection, have vanished. While these foundations are heavily pigmented, they do not cover opaquely quickly in one pass—not like more “grease-paint” full coverage foundations such as MAC Full Coverage or Lauder's Double Wear Camouflage. For the few that need complete full coverage foundation you need to go back over and layer with a decent amount of product where needed (though you can just spackle it on for smaller concealer purposes). On the plus side, they also don’t look nearly as cakey with this much coverage like the more traditional and greasy textured full coverage foundations or concealers can quickly look.

These foundations absolutely have to be set with a powder, preferably a loose setting powder. So powder selection becomes more important. Many rave over RCMA’s low cost No-Color powder, I prefer MUFE HD powder, while others adore Laura Mercier. Just be aware that powder will be needed, but when a high quality powder is well applied, no-color or translucent powders only enhance the glowing finish of CS and RCMA foundations, and make them crease proof and all day lasting.

Cinema Secrets is my favorite with its silicone base. Their color selections are marvelous and broad, and the formulation is more creamy and easier to work with than RCMA. Cinema Secrets vanishes into the skin with lightening speed. It’s also a little easier and quicker to build up to full opaque coverage if that’s what you’re looking for, or if using as a concealer. Cinema Secrets is very long lasting (particularly over a silicone primer), as in often lasting for 12+ hours. Damp BeautyBlender or Sigma F80 work wonderfully with these foundations for me, though the damp Blender can soak up a fair amount of the creamier CS. I also strongly feel that the Cinema Secrets is much more hydrating and comfortable for drier skin types (though if you do set with the right amount of powder, it can start to feel dryer toward the end of the day).

RCMA is a tad more natural looking—truly a second skin. However the wax formulation has one of the most unique textures in the cosmetic world—it’s hard like butter from the fridge and can sometimes be downright chunky or cloddy. For more sheer coverage applications a damp sponge or brush pounced into the pot might work in a warm bathroom, but for most applications RCMA needs to be dug/scraped out of its pot and then warmed slightly and coaxed with warmth into a more creamy (and flat) texture; on the back of your hand or on a palette with your finger work best. More work than CS, but the finish is truly gorgeous, glowing and approaches truly invisible more than any other medium-full foundation I have experienced. HOWEVER, in my experience (with dry skin no less!) RCMA does not last well—it starts to fade after 3-4 hours (taking blush and contour and highlighter with it); only about 50-60% coverage remains after 6-8 hours, and mere wispy fragments are left at the 12 hour mark. For this reason alone, I pass on RCMA (and I have experimented with various primers). It’s very slight advantage in glowing invisible appearance is completely negated for me by its poor lasting power, and the extra coaxing it takes to get it to the right consistency in the morning. BUT, others claim long

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I adore this product. When I was in makeup school, this is the product we used for foundation and concealer (we had multiple palates for all shades of course) and it quickly became one of my favourites. It builds beautifully, has a finish that's not matte but not dewy, just a silly skin finish, and works well as a concealer as well with minimal creasing. I will continue to buy this

To Read all 151 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This foundation, while it looks absolutely lovely and is easy to work with, broke me out so badly that I can't touch it again. I tested it on separate occasions and every time it's been the same. By the end of the first day pores are clogged on my chin, nose and forehead. My skin start getting bumpy, and after just a few days I'm getting cysts and whiteheads all over. What a shame!

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

One of the pricier PRO brands (compared to Ben Nye, Kryolan, Mehron and RCMA), but still better and more affordable overall than department store foundations. I use this as an alternative to Kryolan's TV Paint Stick when in cooler weather. Cinema secrets ultimate foundation is oilier, and it spreads farther than the TV paint stick. Nonetheless, staying power is as great when set properly. 302-65A is a seamless match when blended. If you have a good facial cleansing routine, you shouldn't worry about this breaking you out.

I went on a cream foundation binge and ended up buying a few foundations from Cinema Secrets. I read on many websites that this is TV foundation, and looks good on screen. Since you must order online, it is very hard to choose a perfect shade. I have NC40, combination skin, and this product is very oily! It moves throughout the day and starts oxidizing. I must admit though that it does cover well and looks good on the skin for a short period of time, so if you are planning on wearing it for a few hours max and are not planning to go out in the heat, you may like it. Just be prepared to break out if you have oily skin or are prone to breakouts. The shade that is closest to my skin-tone is 303-66A, although I would prefer something about 2 shares lighter (but again, since I purchased this online, there was no way for me to tell the exact shade). The ingredients don't seem too great, the first ingredient listed is - Hydrogenated Polyisobutene and the second ingredient is Caprylic Triglyceride. Further, I believe the packaging of the product makes it more prone to collecting bacteria and may lead to more breakouts. I believe I paid about $15 for this product and I personally don't like it much. I have been trying to use it up on clients who have dry skin and only intend to wear it for a short time. Personally, I would say save your money and invest in something else.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is a oil and wax based product (someone way before me mentioned it was water based... well it's not) so it will not work wonders on oily skin (you would need to use an oil controlling primer or setting powder, which i recommend you use anyway).

This has a very lightweight and thin creamy consistency. It picks up very easily with the fingers and melts right onto the skin and blends in very easily. Because it is so highly pigmented, you only need a very thin layer to even out the skin and apply another thin layer for extra coverage. It's not drying on the skin, nor is it particularly moisturizing so it will emphasize any dry areas. And also because of the high pigment concentration, make sure you wash your face thoroughly after using!

Long story short: this covers well, is very lightweight and looks natural, will last a long time both on the face and as far as how long it will take to use the foundation up, and has a somewhat dewy finish.
It won't control the oilies too well, but it is pretty water resistant, if not waterproof.
I highly recommend you try this if you have trouble finding high coverage, high performance products that don't cake up.

I have quite dry, sensitive and acne prone skin (damn.) Okay, so for starters this foundation will cover anything. It is a full coverage foundation. It's thick and creamy but easy to blend. Smells like wax. It works excellently to cover redness and acne and therefore would be amazing in covering roseacea.

BUT I find that with this being extremely pigmented, it is so so easy to cake. Anything more than a few small dots will just be way too much. By a few small dots I mean to just touch on some product to your fingertip and dot lightly probably just three dots and use a sponge to blend and that will cove your whole face. I would not use this heavy handedly. Even though this sounds great, I find it to be a disadvantage because it's hard to get the right amount of product on without it looking really strange on your skin. It doesn't make pores look big but it just looks like you've put way too much makeup on your face even though you haven't and the texture of the skin just looks bizarre and the finish is very unnatural. So the key is to use a very small amount, blend it and decide for yourself if you need more. Once you get this right the skin tone looks flawless.
However, if you have dry skin like me it probably would not work well for you unless you have a really good moisturiser and/or primer because I find that this highlights any dry patches on my face again leaving me with an unnatural finish. So moisturise up if you want to give this a try. It stays put after being powdered but slides around without powder. Also again with the pigment content, if you've used to much (and it's so easy to do that) then it won't stay put very easily.
I can't use this as a concealer because it's far too pigmented and looks so bad on the skin. This works best to even out the entire skin tone on the face. It's priced very reasonably considering this is going to last me a heck of a long time. Will not repurchase because I still can't seem to get it to look nice on my skin, it just seems to cake too easily, It would be nicer if it somehow had a more smoother satiny finish and didn't cake so easily. There are other products I that won't do this to my skin.

This is a great product and a little goes a long way! Perfect for summer/winter with all the color options.

**If you are looking to conceal with this product, it wont work for you. It will cake up and settle in your fine lines before you get done with your makeup.**

As far as foundation, it is awesome and blends in perfectly. As stated above, little goes a long way unless you are going for a cake/drag face. You can also find your perfect match by blending in two colors.

update 7/8/15:
i stopped using this since prob 6 months ago. i hate how the container it goes in can easily collect bacteria and it was causing me to break out, since then i have been using
mac face and body c1, healthy mix 52, and a korean bb cream. i have been fairly satified but today i brought out ole faithful to use and whipped off the 1st layer of product with a paper towel. this time i just dabbed the product all over my face with my finger. oh how i missed that creamy texture tho! then use a beauty blender to blend it out and it was like love at first sight AGAIN. this makes already decent skin look like porcelain. despite the fact that i hate the packaging the product is one of those"dont judge by the cover" and it takes sooo little product for incredible pigmention. i havent touched it for months and its still a cream dream!
btw im a solid nc 20 these days =301-65a(im soo glad i wrote now the shade here bc it peeled off) lol!! this is definately high performance and i feel like there are just no words! now that i actually cleanse my face above and beyond (unlike how i use to) i will go back to using this full time. it covers redness and it stays on all day! oily combo skin.
cinema secrets- change the packaging!! cinema secrets is really ahead of the game, you need to try it its better than makeup forever, nars, mac, it really doesnt have enough hype!
this is my first review ever. like some people on here I never write reviews for anything but this time I felt necessary. I am like obsessed with foundation ive been using estee lauder dw for the last year or so but I always continue to try others. I was about to try the kryolan tv paint stick until I saw reviews on cinema secrets. it seemed impressive so I just had to order the cinema secrets crème foundation. I use a beauty blender and it was love at first sight. I love this stuff. I use the shade 301-63A Im mixed latina so I don't have the darkest skin. I tried 30265a first it looked good but I went a shade lighter and it was perfect. I am a 25-30 nc it really brings my skin to life and I am always picky about makeup and getting moneys worth. it is long wearing and easy to blend with a beauty blender. its full coverage but it always looks natural which is great. I just really love how it makes me skin glow and believe me I do not look that great without makeup I almost cant believe the transformation.
my own personal secret to using this is to use cargo blu ray pressed powder and sweep it over my face. I love cargo blu ray powder shade 30 and don't think that its reviews are great enough. to my surprise cinema secrets 30163a is a perfect match to cargo blu ray 30. these two together are unstoppable. I also love to use lorac luminizer in l2 on my cheekbones.my face glows and looks fabulous. so far I cant even see myself leaving this foundation and its smell doesn't bother me. packaging isn't great but I really don't care the product is awesome
if u want a long wearing, natural looking full foundation try this one. just remember to use a beauty blender if u want to smooth it out more keep wetting ur blender.(lol thats weird im sorry)

Fantastic! I match 303-66A and found out by purchasing the little palette like everyone else. I'm glad it is still pretty full after about a year so I can highlight and contour if doing a totally made face. As a huge bonus in these past summer months it was super simple to customize my shade.
The product is so pigmented that each individually sold colour is packed into very light, tiny and portable 1/2oz and 1/4oz containers. After daily use of almost a year I have gone through 1/2oz and am just beginning a 1/4oz pot. The twist off cap keeps the product clean and safe.
For use, I apply a few dots (you just have to tap it) with a clean fingertip and blend with either a beauty blender or shiseido perfecting foundation brush. The beauty of this foundation is that is can be truly full coverage, or sheered out with water/moisturiser. Natural in natural light and photographs well. No creasing, stays put, even after a swim. Semi-matte finish unless you set it. It didn't seem to break me out, nor feel heavy, nor keep my skin from breathing. I've bought foundations from drugstore to high-end, and this middle priced "theatrical brand" is "the one".