Mary Kay Eyeshadows

Filtered by hair type : Straight

3.7

Mary Kay eyeshadows are hit & miss. Some of their metallic shades are gorgeous whereas their matte and satin shades can be chalky and difficult to blend. Keep in mind these pans are tiny, they measure 1.5 x 2.4 x 0.4 cm deep (smaller than a postage stamp) and they come in minimal packaging because they're meant to be put into the Mary Kay empty palettes. However, each pan is still 1.4g of product which is close to a MAC single eyeshadow pot at 1.5g. Mary Kay sells for $7.50 CAD whereas a MAC refill is $13 CAD (comparing similar packaging). I own about a dozen Mary Kay eyeshadows and my favourites are: Chocolate Kiss, Granite and Vintage Gold (all metallic) - and Espresso (matte) makes a nice brow powder for me (not too red). I have Sweet Plum and Precious Pink on my list to try next as they're both metallic and look very pretty in photos. The staying power of these eyeshadows are decent when I wear a primer and a base - no creasing but I do experience some fading. Pigmentation-wise, they're just ok - I normally have to layer these eyeshadows over a base to make the colours more visible. I do like these eyeshadows although they're not terribly unique in formula or colour - they're especially good if you get the empty palette and take them for travel. Would recommend the metallic colours mainly.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

i do love mary kay...but i don't love the mary kay consultants that go along with it ( no offense mk ladies...but i have had many, many, bad experiences with mk consultants ).

love these eyeshadows...i love MAC more...but these are nice. i don't love that you have to buy the applicators, compacts, etc to get the shadows. buying all that adds up.

to avoid the whole MK experience, if and when i buy...i buy off of ebay. i save money and avoid the consultants.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I have three of these in Moonstone which is a pale cream,Jungle duo, which is a pale green and dark khaki green and a nameless taupe shade. They're all nice eyeshadows and great for a casual look for day. They all blend well but the color depth/intensity isn't that great so that's why I use them for daytime. I would in no way compare these to the quality of say MAC or NARS since MK e/s doesn't even hold up. I've found that the compact that I bought for them is great for travel since it carries e/s, blush and lipstick all of which are interchangeable. My gripe now is that as of this week and this upcoming summer MK is changing all the packaging. If I want to buy anything new then I have to also buy a new compact to hold it. I won't be able to use my old e/s and lipstick in the new compacts cause the old stuff is being discontinued. Grr. Also the new e/s cannot be used wet like the old, as of next week, ones can. Nice shadows but I won't be buying them again cause MK is getting rid of them. Will I be buying the new ones? I won't unless they up the pigment. But I do like the portable compact idea, as I said it's great for travel, so we'll see.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Would have given it 4 lippies for quality but added the bonus 5th for the super cheap price! I bought about 5 on my own to try (I am addicted to eyeshadow) and I really liked them! I prefer them to MAC which I have at least 12 colours of! It ranks with Estee Lauder, Clinique and Bobbi Brown in my book but at least 1/3 less pricey! My mum has just given me another 15 colours of this and now I am set for life! :)

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

!.------------------------ 2007 UPDATE: If I want to pay what MK wants for this I'd rather buy high end brands or even MAC and Urban Decay.---------------------------------------------UPDATE: I used to love mk products but found out a lot of interesting information on pinktruth.com regarding the products and company. Turns out they are a bunch of scam artists after all. So sad.HERES MY OLD PINK FOGGED REVIEW-------------------This is the best e/s formula I have ever tried. They NEVER crease and last all day long even thru gym sweat sessions. The colors are classy and subdued. I only wish they would come out with a big fat pallette made only for the eyeshadow pans. I Have a wide collection and nowhere to put them except some in the custom pallette (which will only hold 12 pans but then all these other compartments that I don't want are taking up space) or a few here and there in the smaller compacts. I would prefer to have them all together at once. UPDATE = I removed the metal pan containing the eye color from the plastic of each e/s and stuck a magnet on each and everyone of them. Then I placed them all neatly in my homemade palette. Looks gorgeous!

I LOVE MK eyeshadows! I have collected several now and I wouldn't be without them. The colors are beautiful, they wear well with no fading or creasing, nor do they flake into my eyes. I especially like sheer pink, crystalline, vintage gold, rose mist, cinnabar, storm, and goldenrod. The only thing about them that sucks is the plastic containers they come in. I nicked a brand new one with my fingernail when the plastic cover wouldn't slide off properly. I think it's best to keep them stored in one of the MK palettes if you're going to use a particular color a lot.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

These are nice eyeshadows. The colors are pretty as well--lots of brown/nude shades especially. My gripe is why don't they sell these in pot form, so that you aren't forced to get a compact or palette to put these in? Yes the color thing has a little clear plastic top on it but that's not the same thing. The packaging could be improved greatly.