Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Anti-Blemish Cleanser

Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Anti-Blemish Cleanser

3.3

Active Ingredients: Salicylic Acid (0.5%) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, Glycol Distearate, Glycolic Acid, Sodium Lactate, Cocamidopropyl PG Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Polyquaternium 11, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance 5/29/09

on 12/29/2006 5:20:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Firstly I must say this: WHY THE F*** do you sensitive, dry skin ladies keep using these kinds of products??? IT SAYS on the cleanser itself that its for acne prone skin (oily) - if you dont have really really oily skin that dont use it - it will overkill your already annoying worthless skin!

Okay so I got that out of the way I had to say that because I was getting annoyed at all the bad reviews that are completley ludacris and make no sense whatsoever. I on the other hand, LOVE this cleanser. its my HG one, its been such a long time coming but I finally found the best cleanser for controlling oil, and fighting off blemishes as well as restoring clarity to my skin. The packaging desing is alright, I perfer pumps but this one is fine (similar to the Visibly Even cleanser design)The consistency is a little weird, but you'll get used to it. Its gloopy, white but it does lather up and remove ALL sunscreen traces and grimey oil. Its really gentle IMO, it doesnt irritate my eye area - in fact it brightens it up (with the AHA in it).

Its clean rinsing and leaves no residue. My skin feels super smooth and soft. My acne is alowly disappearing and this aids in the penetration of my retinoids (Tazorac). I can skip toning now, so I save money and my skin is brighter, fresher, soft and has a glow to it now! Thanks Neutrogena!

PS: SCREW the other negative reviews! This cleanser is awesome

on 5/12/2009 12:43:00 PM

First of all, people need to keep some things in mind when using this product:

1) It says on the packaging that it may irritate skin, mainly because of the AHA's (so if you have sensitive skin then obviously you might want to think twice before using this).

2) It warns on the packaging that if you don't USE SUNSCREEN your skin may become irritated, again due to the AHA's (so... duh... wear sunscreen everyday when using this product AND for a week afterwards if you stop using it, like the packaging says).

3) It's meant for more mature skin... ergo, it will probably work best for more mature skin.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moving on...

This cleanser is working great so far for my 28 year-old, (mildly) acne-prone, combination, large-pored skin that is showing some fine lines. I usually have those little bumps on my cheeks (not white heads or red but still annoying because they're noticable) and blackheads on my nose and chin and this seems to be helping with those as well (I also use a cream with retinol for night time use as well as Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer which also contains retinol. Retinol can help clear up acne so I'm sure that's helping as well). It also decreases the appearance of my large pores.

Lathers, well, doesn't dry my skin out (I use it in the AM and PM), and smells nice. And one tube will last forever, so that's a bonus. It has a pop-top. It would be nice if this came in pump form, but I won't take off a lippie for something so minor since I have no trouble with the pop-top packaging.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I am 55, and I have used this cleanser on and off for about six years. I have bouts with cystic acne and you know when it happens i reach for this cleanser and the healthy skin moisturizer at night. They both help to make the acne get smaller overnight and eventually disappear. No more popping pimples because it leaves pits on my face. If I just leave them alone and fight them with acids they go away. I have combination/oily skin and when it is oily is when I get the cystic acne. The healthy skin moisturizer is irritating to my skin so I only use it at night when having a breakout. I know it has SPF in it but it makes my skin red and some bumps appear so I only use it at night. For daytime I put Mary Kay acne lotion on but it really is a white gel, 5% Benzoyl Peroxide. It looks great under makeup and causes no shine. But most of the time I use gentle cleansers and moisturizers. So this stuff is a real life saver for me because cystic acne can be painful and hard to cover with makeup.

on 12/10/2016 3:43:00 PM

Usually i love neutrogena products, they fit me so well and their prices are affordable, so i gave this cleanser a try.
I didn't like it at all for many reasons:
1/ the consistency is weird, it's slimy and very hard to get out of the tube and most of the time the first squirt ends up in the sink because it slips from the hand
2/ very difficult to manage the cleanser into your face due to its consistency
3/ it did nothing to my face at all, no glowing, no reducing pimples, nothing at all

Overall, it is a waste of money and won't buy again

on 4/7/2012 4:12:00 PM

I've been using it twice a day since I got it, I've had less dry flaking skin than I had prior. I immediately apply moisturizer while my face is still damp. Overall, my skin is clearer, much smoother, and the tone more even.
UPDATE: I used it long enough to mix & match with various moisturizers & I've realized that this stuff is MAGIC, no matter what I use afterwards. I used to get cystic acne around that time of the month -- no more! My pores have shrunk, and my skin is so soft. LOVE THIS STUFF!

on 1/26/2011 10:35:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

This cleanser is shockingly bad. I've used many of Neutrogena's products over the years and have never experienced anything nearly as terrible as this.

Other reviewers have commented on the awful texture of the product, and I couldn't agree more. When this stuff comes out of the tube it is strangely gelatinous and will not break apart or foam up or anything. If you try to rub your hands together to make it foam up or spread apart so you can actually apply it to your face, it resists any effort to make it usable and comes apart in gooey clumps, still in the shape they took when the came out of the tube, that usually wind up in the sink or on the shower floor.

The smell is 100% old lady. And it left my face feeling like alligator skin.

Horrible product.

on 9/29/2005 9:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Wow! This stuff is my new HG cleanser. I have never been a fan of Neutrogena products. They seem to have something for everything you can imagine and it has always seemed very gimicky to me. Also, past exerperiences with their products has made me steer clear of them over the past 10 years or so. HOWEVER, after seeing the improvement in my sister's skin I couldn't ignore it. I asked her what she was using and she told me she had started using this cleanser and it cleared her in 2 weeks. I was reluctant because my skin wasn't that bad and I was afraid that it might make it worse before it got better with the glycolic acid and all, but it didn't. Exactly four weeks later my skin looks AMAZING. I am 32 and don't break out a great deal anymore, but am EXTREMELY oily and get tons of clogged pores and whiteheads with the occastion pimple or 3. I have had not 1 pimple since I began using this product. All my clogged pores are gone...they just came to the surface without becoming inflamed and I was able to very easily push them out of my skin. I have had no new whiteheads develop which is a big deal for me because that was my main problem. I would usually get 3-4 new whiteheads every week...some of which would turn into pimples over time. I am also very happy to say that my oil seems to nearly disappeared. I am so happy with this product and I highly recommend it. As for the "residue" people have complained about, I do kinda know what they are talking about. It kinda leaves a slippery feeling on your face after washing which kinda turned me off at first too, but as soon as your face dried it feels very clean and smooth. I had no initial breakout from using this. Just clearer and smoother skin day after day. I am also using the anti wrikle cream which I love too. My skin has never looked better!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I wanted to wait a while before writing this review so I would have a in-depth opinion on the product.

Allow me to start out this review with letting you all know that this cleanser was reformulated in early 2015. The most common complaints I've seen about it is that the consistency was too liquidy. I can assure you that con has been taken out of the equation. The current formula is just a basic gel cleanser consistency.

If you've been reading my reviews you'll know about my love for alpha hydroxy acids. They are effective for chemical exfoliation without going as deep as vitamin a (Retin A). I gave Silk Naturals a 5 lippie review because I loved their formulation for a long time, but, they recently revamped it and released a lesser quality product. So I cut ties with that toner.

I needed to find a replacement. But it's hard when so many companies put rubbing alcohol in their toners or an absurd % of A.H.As. I have tried many on the market. What I like about this facewash is, if only used at night, it will not dry out my face. The formula is pretty gentle and does not upset my rosacea. On top of that - the cleanser picks up any traces of make up that my jojoba oil missed. My skin feels clean, and soft!

I would recommend only using this at night (followed my a moisturizer... I use jojoba oil). Because it REALLY deep cleanses the skin and would probably strip your face too much for make up to be applied smoothly. I still use Cerave Hydrating Cleanser in the morning for added moisture. :)

This is basically an acne cleanser with a lower percentage of salicylic acid (this product has 0.5% salicylic acid while most of Neutrogena's acne wash products have 2% salicylic acid), so it ends up being gentler on the face if the 2% salicylic acid is too drying for you. The alpha-hydroxy acid, which Neutrogena claims will help smooth fine lines (by promoting exfoliation), is glycolic acid in this product. However, you can also find glycolic acid in Neutrogena's other acne washes. Both the salicylic acid (a β-hydroxy acid) and the alpha-hydroxy acid will work together to gently exfoliate your skin. Make sure to use a sunscreen to protect your skin any time you go outside whenever you use an alpha-hydroxy acid product, since the exfoliation will also increase your skin's sensitivity to the sun. I tried out this face wash when I was 23, so I was not thinking much about wrinkles at that age, but I did like it because most acne washes were too irritating for daily use on my face. It seems like it is hard to find this particular one in stores. It has a nice, creamy texture. The tube is smaller than Neutrogena's other face wash tubes, but it lasted me a long time because I only needed to use a little bit. I might consider buying this again if I can find it in a store.

on 5/5/2015 3:39:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I have been using this cleanser for at least 6 years maybe longer. Everytime i try something new i always end up back to this. Its great st removing make up. I wouldnt use it to remove eye make up much though will dry them. It helps keep my face clear and helps when i break out. I use it along with the pore refining toner. you squeezena dime sized amount out and rub it in your hands thsn your face. It rinses nicely..soft scent not over drying. Makes my.face smooth.