Chantecaille Loose powder

Filtered by eye Color : Green
Chantecaille Loose powder
Loose powderLoose powderLoose powderLoose powderLoose powder

4.1

on 4/10/2014 6:36:00 AM

I really love this finely milled loose powder that doesn't give a matte flat finish, goes nicely over any foundation and I don't find this powder at all drying. My favourite application for this powder is the RT contour brush as I like to use a small brush and do little areas at a time - I have found this makes the powder last longer before needing to touch up.

The metal packaging is luxe and I like that there is a plastic filter inner instead of a netting one as they get really messy. Even though the holes look big I find this doesn't disperse too much product. (as long as its stored right way up).

I'm NC15 and have this in shade "Light" - I would not consider this a translucent powder as it does have some colour to it though very subtle.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I want to marry this stuff. I used LM for many years but it is harder and harder to get in Switzerland even though it is sold her, and paradoxically easier for me to get Chantecaille even though it isn't sold here. For whatever reason the LM loose isn't sent to our counters here but when I am Paris I can pick this stuff up.

The coverage and wear of the Chantecaille is similar to the LM but with the Chantecaille I use far less product. The Chantecaille is finely milled, but not so much that it is blotchy. It doesn't oxidize or cake or settle into my fine lines, of which there are many.

There isn't anything not to love about the Chantecaille, which is only fair given its price tag, but it is a fair price to pay for something that works with minimal fuss.

on 2/17/2012 10:44:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This powder is great for my combination skin. The "Light" doesn't irritate, clump, or change color. It perfectly compliments my skin tone. I am fair-skinned, usually not the lightest color but the next-to-lightest. I agree with w/plrg's review to leave part of the adhesive over the holes to minimize spillage, and to tap powder into the lid. It is pricey, but worth it.

on 12/3/2010 1:05:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I just had someone give me this powder because the shade wasn't right for her (and it was the perfect shade for me).

I had never heard of this brand before but I thought I would give this powder a try!

I have to say it is hands down the best loose powder I have ever used! I use it as a finishing powder and it makes my makeup and skin look flawless and airbrushed!

I tend to get a little oily by the end of the day but I haven't had any issues with oil since I started using this powder.

I am hooked for life! Highly reccommend!

on 11/30/2010 5:42:00 PM

I really love this loose powder. It doesn't have too much color and never gives a powdery look, which I hate. I use this over the Chantecaille tinted moisturizer and new stick concealer and it keeps it in place all day. The finish is really nice...not too matte, but not shimmery. I really love it and these three products have been a winning combination for me. It is expensive but it lasts a long time.

Well, this is my best replacement to my HG of powders that decided to cheap out (Christian Dior's Poudre Libre, after a long run as a high-quality, finely-milled loose powder with a perfect color... went and added TALC, which makes me break out horribly! It stayed the same price too: $45 USD). Anywho, so began my quest for a comparable replacement. After reading reviews on this site, I decided to go for Chantecaille's Talc-Free Loose Powder.

*********CONS (first):********* very limited availability, at least in Orange County, CA; had to go to Neiman-Marcus (overly pretentious store, IMHO), and they only accept cash or American Express. So that was a pain. Short of ordering online, you have to go prepared! Then, I agree that the packaging is gorgeous BUT the biggest pain in the you-know-what to work with (messy, you potentially lose product too). So, after peeling back about half of the sticky sifter cover to only let a little product out at a time, I finally caved and VERY CAREFULLY pried open the package with the flat edge of a metal spatula and transferred it into my old (and now empty) Christian Dior Poudre Libre packaging with the same thin metal spatula (are you kidding me? For $45 USD this stuff is like GOLD and you don't want to lose any of it!). See my review on the packaging for CD's Poudre Libre, you'll see why I love it so much, plus they gave you a killer compact (as in small) powder brush built into the package. I think the Chantecaille packaging came with a powder puff but why would I use that with loose powder? Powder puffs are meant for pressed powders, brushes are meant for loose powders. Anyway... on to the pros...

*********PROS:********* While I personally feel it is a shade less silky than my old fave (CD Poudre Libre), it is perfect for my needs, and for me, I like a slightly dewy finish, not cakey or heavy... I like to let my skin show through (I routinely use select concealers -- like under the eyes, round the corners of my nose, and on any select blemishes or patches of redness -- and depending on the day, I also love Shiseido's Stick Foundation... no skin reactions and it goes on great; is buildable and still lets my own skin show through. BUT, enough about that!). Chantecaille's powder is finely milled, a good color, and I use my old CD brush to apply it... no chalky appearance, and it sets my makeup so my skin feels silky smooth, and dispels shine just enough until I touch up throughout the day (only if needed) with MAC's Blot Powder (which is great because that doesn't build up product). And best of all, this talc-free powder does not break out my sensitized skin (THANK YOU Chantecaille for producing a quality loose powder that YES, CAN be talc-free!) I put dates on my products so I know a) if they're past their expiration date and b) to see how long they last me... and this first package has lasted me 6 months so far and by my accounts, will last me at least another 3... so, it's a worthwhile purchase.
*********As a side note:********* Please don't expect this powder to necessarily hold your shine at bay all day, if you tend to be oily. As a makeup artist, I have learned that loose powder is formulated more as a finishing/setting powder. If you want coverage and shine control (long-lasting), you will need to use a pressed foundation powder or more heavily-pigmented loose powder, and apply with a sponge or powder puff (sponges work GREAT for picking up enough product; plus, with their triangular angles, you can more easily get into crevices that you cannot with a regular powder puff). Also, if you are having excessive oil production problems, your skin care routine may be the culprit (a proper and controlled skin care routine that you DON'T overload product onto will help immensely. My new fave is Origins, which I will review as well).

on 12/15/2007 12:43:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

This powder is fine but definitely NOT worth the price. For the price I was hoping for some kind of magical effect & was sorely disappointed

on 9/10/2006 6:17:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

loreal makes a talc free loose powder that is nicer and I don't have to tell you ladies how less expensive it is. I think this was my worse purchase ever - I can see spending $$$$$ on a foundation, not a powder - but I did and I regret that, I should have taken it back because I just don't use it at all - it is just such a mess it's real pain!!!!!

on 1/10/2006 1:26:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This woud have been a great powder, but the lightest shade is not quite a good match for my Armani #2, Chantecaille Alabaster, LM Porcelain Ivory skin.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

It's a long time since I haven't used a powder. They use to dry out my skin. But I heard about this talc free powder and gave it a try. I think it's great. I don't know loose powder enough to give and efficient critisism, but for me it will do, it's gonna be my HG loose powder for this season...and for many futur seasons if more affinity...