Chantecaille Loose powder

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
Chantecaille Loose powder
Loose powderLoose powderLoose powderLoose powderLoose powder

4.6

This is such a beautiful, luxurious, finely milled powder. As a bonus, it is free of talc. It gives a matte yet glowing finish, but it has absolutely no sparkly stuff in it at all. (I loathe sparkly stuff in makeup.) It comes with a first-rate powder puff.

I've been using Laura Mercier loose powder for ages and ages, but this stuff is even nicer. It is expensive, but it's worth it. A container will last a very long time. The color I got is called "subtle," and it goes perfectly with the Future Skin vanilla foundation I wear. There is a lighter shade, called "light," but it is extremely light and only for the super pale. I am fair skinned, and maybe in winter I'll be able to use "light," but for now, "subtle" is perfect.

Now, my only complaint about this is the packaging. The container looks beautiful, but I find it hard to get the powder onto the puff without making a huge mess. Fortunately, I have always put my loose powders into an old Chanel loose powder container that was the best one I've ever had. I've kept it all these years and always transferred my Laura Mercier powder into that Chanel countainer, and now I'm doing the same with Chantecaille. It has a compartment for the powder with a fine-mesh screen, and then there is a screw cap on top of the powder compartment, and the puff sits on top of that screw cap, and then the lid of the powder goes over that. If Chantecaille would make a container like that, then I'd truly be in heaven.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

As a user of Chantecaille Just Skin, I had been coveting the loose powder for a while. Firstly whilst the packaging isn't the most practical it is beautiful and looks very swish on my dressing table, plus the puff is very soft and a pleasure to use.
I bought the light (which is perfect for my very pale skin), the texture is smooth and airy and goes on extremely sheer. It has no sparkle or shine, but isn't 'flat' on the skin, so it doesn't make you look powdered but still knocks back any shine/oilyness. It doesn't look patchy or make dry areas look worse either.The other thing I like about this powder is it doesn't change the colour of your base or go patchy or cakey.
The only bad thing I can find to say about this powder is the price....you need a small mortgage!
But as it beats Smashbox, Mac, T'LeClerc, Estee Lauder, Clinique, Laura Mercier and countless others (I can't get CDP here which is the only powder I've heard beats the Chantecaille) I will buy it again.

This powder is talc free and looks flawless on the skin. I feel like I am wearing nothing, yet my skin looks even in tone and perfectly matte. It is great on top of any foundation, and on a good skin day. I wear it on it's own. It feels comforrable and looks great! My HG complexion enhancer.

on 2/4/2006 10:02:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

This is an incredible product, and worth the money. This jar will last forever, and makes my skin look perfect.

I'll likely never buy another loose powder.

My only complaint is the powder sometimes spills over the sides....other than that...perfect. It is so finely milled, it makes Nars loose powder look chunky, and does a wonderful job at controlling oil.

I wear it overtop of Tarte Smooth Operator foundation for a guaranteed perfect skin day.

on 2/19/2005 2:40:00 PM

Very high quality powder, does not make skin look "powdery" even on my dry days. Package spills as everyone says - I have a very tight makeup bag I keep it in. Package is attractive - maybe they can keep the look but prevent the spillage somehow.

My HG powder. Powder is superb. Love that it has no talc. I switch between Ray (in summer) and Light (in winter). I'm a Stila IFP 30/40 watt. My only gripes: I wish there was a wider range of colors (as light can be a little too light) and improved packaging. As others have noted, the packaging is beautiful yet not very functional. It makes a mess even when it just sits on the dressing table.

on 5/2/2004 12:13:00 PM

The colour and texture is perfect, but powder leaks out of the container all the time. the amazing quality powder is worth putting up with the poor quality container, but they should really sort it out.

on 3/11/2004 9:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I am giving Chantecaille loose powder a no on the question would I buy this product again but only reluctantly. I'm just not sure. Don't you wish there was an option to answer maybe? I bought this powder after lusting after it for at least 2 years. The price always got in my way, not to mention I already have powders galore from T LeClerc, Becca, Giorgio Armani, Paula Dorf, Laura Mercier, Versace, Bobbi Brown, Guerlain, Sonia Kashuk - you name it and I probably have it. I went for the $39 travel version in Chantecaille and the container is one of the prettiest I've ever seen. I don't think I would use it for travel as I tend to move powder into fairly small clear plastic jars with sifters for convenience. I would happily put this lovely silver jar on a fancy dressing table if I ever have such a thing. The powder itself is fine. That's the part that's disappointing. I was hoping this would be holy grail, perfect, can't imagine life without it powder and it isn't (sigh). It does an okay job of setting my make up but it doesn't do or look any better than any other powder I own. I think the cost is high for the amount of product you get. Given what powders do and what they are made of, I suspect I will never find a holy grail powder but that doesn't mean I will give up trying ....

on 1/24/2004 11:13:00 AM

This along with Becca's Loose is the only powder I'd ever consider wearing, because these two are the only ones that give a natural but polished look and NEVER cake, I actually prefer the Chantecaille over the Becca as it is talc and fragrance free and gives a glowy look to my complexion due to the mica it contains which I like better than the greasy post-orgasmic 'Beyonc' look I get from highlighters (I'm really paranoid about micro-glitter being visible on my face). Over the course of the day it starts to looks even better but I have to say that I like a dewy look. I wear the shade 'Light' over Chantecaille FS 'Ivory' and RS and sometimes also over moisturiser or sunscreen. Since I'm a sucker for product design I also love the packaging, a BEAUTIFUL, chic, classic and yet simple nickel container. For touching-up I use the mini version (expensive but you can refill it from the regular size container) as loose powders are NOT meant to be portable but are to sit on your vanity at home and the Chantecaille does a fantastic job at that!! This is a HG and I will repurchase despite the price.

on 6/14/2003 3:49:00 PM

I just bought this powder and I love it! Very light and silky. Gives a nice finish either alone or over foundation. This is the best loose powder I have ever used. Not cheap -- but considering other top of the line powders run from $32 - $48, this one at $50 is still within reason. It will last quite a while too.