Chantecaille Loose powder

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
Chantecaille Loose powder
Loose powderLoose powderLoose powderLoose powderLoose powder

4.2

I'm 44 and this is the only makeup /skincare product I have ever had a really bad allergic reaction to - with my skin just peeling away all over my face in a very noticeable way which other people commented on :( This happened twice (3 weeks apart) and left my face raw and dry for days. The reason is that the powder has a very well known problem ingredient called 'bismuth oxychloride'. Here's what beautypedia says about the irritation it can cause: "Some people react to bismuth oxychloride due to its unique crystalline structure. What happens is that the crystals can "poke" at skin and get stuck in the pores, where the sharper "spokes" can cause irritation". I can tell you this is truly unpleasant!!!

So I definitely recommend you 'try before you buy' this product - even if (like me) you don't normally react to make up.

on 9/13/2011 1:39:00 PM

I have this in the color Subtle, which works for my NC25/Future Skin Vanilla skintone even though when I bought it I was more NC20/Alabaster.

The powder is great for:
- Those who like extremely light and finely-milled powders with a slight light-reflective sheen to it when applied (not shiny, not matte).
- Those who have dry/normal skin and are looking for light finishing powder.
- Those who like makeup with attractive packaging. The powder case is housed in an elegant silver case and looks great on the vanity.

Personally, I don't use the powder a lot for several reasons:
- I have combination-oily skin, and this doesn't help control oil.
- I also don't like the fact that it has parabens in it, BHT, and a whole slew of other preservatives (even though it is talc-free).

I noticed that a lot of people are not happy with the packaging. I talked to the SA and found a solution for powder spillage:
- When you buy the powder, do NOT remove the whole seal. Instead, peel back to expose 4-5 holes, cut out that section, and leave the rest of the seal alone.
- When you want to use some of the powder, tap some of it onto the lid. The powder will come out of the 4-5 holes instead of the whole thing, and will make the application process a lot less messy. I have traveled a lot with the powder using this method and have never had trouble with spillage.

on 6/15/2011 1:52:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Really nice loose powder that provides a nice matte affect without covering you up too much. Chantecaille products are great and don't make my skin react or break out, which is awesome. Perfect color match. Thumbs up.

[Edited on 8/5/12: I no longer use this because it irritated my skin and broke me out. I plugged it into Cosdna and Mica is the second ingredient. Mica really bugs my skin, so I'm surprised I didn't have a worse reaction. It's probably because I never used this powder regularly. I gave this to my mom whose skin doesn't react at every little thing! (Why didn't I get her skin?)

I'd still recommend this if Mica is ok for your skin.

My friend recommended this loose powder to me, and I love it!

I have normal-combination skin and it gets a bit oily towards the afternoon. I have tried many different foundations but nothing really tackles the problem. Recently I feel that I don't want to put on a foundation everyday (my skin looks decent with no major breakouts, maybe a bit of larger pores around the nose), so I have been looking for a loose powder which will protect my skin and provide a bit of oil control (I cannot just go out without any powder on. It actually makes my skin break out and becomes more oily. I blame it on pollution :/)

Many loose powders are a bit too powdery for me, so I decided to give Chantecaille a try, and it works! It decreases oil production by about 30% (I won't say it's almighty, but 30% is quite significant compared to almost no results that I have seen in other products). The powder is also very very fine and soft, so it feels like nothing is on your face, and it looks very natural. Yet I do have to say, if you look for coverage, this is NOT for you.

The 2 drawbacks are 1) pricing and 2) the quite un-user friendly package design. If you want to avoid powder from flying everywhere, you need to tilt the case a little bit before you tap the side of the container to release the powder (which works very well with just a bit of practice). Nonetheless I also hope Chantecaille will consider to redesign the container again.

Despite the 2 drawbacks, this is the best loose powder I have ever used! I think I will repeat my purchase for sure! :)

on 12/3/2010 1:05:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I just had someone give me this powder because the shade wasn't right for her (and it was the perfect shade for me).

I had never heard of this brand before but I thought I would give this powder a try!

I have to say it is hands down the best loose powder I have ever used! I use it as a finishing powder and it makes my makeup and skin look flawless and airbrushed!

I tend to get a little oily by the end of the day but I haven't had any issues with oil since I started using this powder.

I am hooked for life! Highly reccommend!

on 9/28/2010 3:40:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is my second most favorite loose powder. (Cle De Peau being my all time complete love!) It is talc free, finely milled, and the lightest textured, fluffiest, most amazing I've ever used. I always come back to it. There is no sparkle, does not oxidize, does not emphasize dry patches of skin. It is great for setting makeup, and is quite translucent. It allows my skin (or foundation) to still radiate a glow rather than looking flat. In contrast, Chanel loose powder, (while also finely milled, not as, but still fine) gives a much more opaque,matte finish.

My only gripe, other than the price (but then, sometimes its just true that we get what we pay for) is that the lid to container does not twist or snap closed. The container is a mirror polished silver, understated and elegant, but the top is just a pull off to open, push down to close. The sifter inside is a rigid plastic rather than a floating screen sifter, but it too is not that tight of a fit.

Guerlain recently redesigned the container its loose powder comes in, and its now very practical as well as beautiful. Not only does the container itself twist closed to where it is completely waterproof, but the inside sifter also twists open and closed. And its a highly polished silver color instead of the previous gold. But...... the Chantecaille powder is still nicer IMO, and the container is lovely sitting on the vanity, just not travel friendly.

Amazing loose powder! After I finished my Laura Mercier loose powder, I was on a hunt for another brand. The LM is great at $30, but I am willing to spend more for an even better one. I first looked at Cle de Peau, because I currently use their foundation. After doing some thinking, I realized it's simply ridiculous to spend over US$100 for loose powder, seriously. Then I hopped over to Chantecaille. First, I was pleased to know that it's talc free, which is great news for oily or acne-prone skin. Then I felt the powder on my hand, and, WOW, it's just as smooth as CdP! I tried it on my face right there, and was very pleased with the finish. It's a very natural matte finish, zero chalkiness. In fact, I think it's even better than CdP! A few hours later, I looked in the mirror, same great look, great oil control. Best thing of all, I just bought this for $26 on eBay, HAH!

UPDATE: So I finally received the product in the mail. I applied some over my Laura Mercier Mineral Foundation, and it looked flawless! I can't believe my face didn't look chalky at all. This is HG HG HG.

on 9/25/2009 9:29:00 AM

My one and only loose powder, I have been using this for 5 years now. i have previously tried other loose powders and this is the only one that takes the crown.

Like the other testimonials that others have given, i have to agree with every bit.

Sets make up without cloging pores, no caking and does what a translucent powder is set out to do,,,,be TRANSLUCENT. It does not interfere with your foundation and blush, just sets what you have already applied.

it has one of the best textures ...finely milled to give the best texture and least suspecting that you have caked on powder.

The only thing that frustrates me with this product is that it is expensive and that the holes that the powder dispenses from makes it time consuming, cos the powder doesnt come through the wholes onto my sponge easily. One of my other frens have transferred their chantecaille LP into a more friendlier dispenser, (old loose powder compacts from other brands that are empty)

These are one of those products that will always be in my make up kit.

This is the powder I have been looking for for years. It is very very finely milled, does not have tacky shimmer, never cakes/settles into lines and feels very light on skin. It sets makeup perfectly with a soft, polished finish. The oil control is excellent, too. It is very expensive, and the packaging, while very pretty, is bad, but I think it is worth trying just because of its quality. It works well with different type of foundations I use. FYI: Other powders I used: Cle de Peau loose (did not like it: way too expensive, broke me out, no oil control): YSL (not as finely milled, looks a hint too heavy): Guerlain (in general good but heavily fragranced/slightly drying): GA (too much shimmer, oxidised): By Terry loose (good but way too expensive for such a small amount): By Terry compact (very good, another favourite, offers more coverage than the Chantecaille powder).

This powder is now my HG. It is so soft and light, yet keeps my skin matte all day. No shimmer, just smooth glowy skin. The package has to be the worst I've seen. Every single time I open it, I lose powder. Makes me angry at this price to have such poor packaging. And I hate to have to switch it. I'll continue to buy, but grudgingly