Chantecaille Loose powder

Filtered by skin type : Sensitive
Chantecaille Loose powder
Loose powderLoose powderLoose powderLoose powderLoose powder

3.9

on 11/7/2012 10:26:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I had a mini of this years ago that lasted me years. I used it up and then moved on. Since then I tried many other powders from drugstore to Dept store trying to find a loose setting powder I liked. Who knew it would be so freaking hard?

My criteria(which I didn't know was so discerning): No caking, not too drying, no glitter bomb, no flash in photography, no breakouts, no orangeyness, should be finely milled, lightly scented or no scent.

L'Oreal: caked, flashed, weird scent
Lancome: Absolue: glittery, Mineral: orangey, oxidized
MAC: caked
Clinique: Caked, oxidized
Jane Iredale: Drying, flash
Bare Escentuals: Flash

This powder, though ungodly expensive finally fits all of my categories. The container is huge so it will probably last me 10 years since I only use powder to set certain parts of my face and my mini powder previously lasted 3 years. Really sometimes you just have to give in and bite the bullet. I could have bought the Chantecaille outright instead of buying all of the products above and being disappointed. I am stupid.

Oh the Chantecaille website now has a color guide to let you know what color to buy which I appreciate since the nearest counter to me is 3 hours away so I must online shop. I wear vanilla in Future skin and in the powder I bought Subtle. It is supposed to have a peach undertone which I was a little apprehensive about thinking ORANGE but it is perfect. In MAC I'm NC 25, Bobbi Brown sand.

on 6/15/2011 1:52:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Really nice loose powder that provides a nice matte affect without covering you up too much. Chantecaille products are great and don't make my skin react or break out, which is awesome. Perfect color match. Thumbs up.

[Edited on 8/5/12: I no longer use this because it irritated my skin and broke me out. I plugged it into Cosdna and Mica is the second ingredient. Mica really bugs my skin, so I'm surprised I didn't have a worse reaction. It's probably because I never used this powder regularly. I gave this to my mom whose skin doesn't react at every little thing! (Why didn't I get her skin?)

I'd still recommend this if Mica is ok for your skin.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

As a user of Chantecaille Just Skin, I had been coveting the loose powder for a while. Firstly whilst the packaging isn't the most practical it is beautiful and looks very swish on my dressing table, plus the puff is very soft and a pleasure to use.
I bought the light (which is perfect for my very pale skin), the texture is smooth and airy and goes on extremely sheer. It has no sparkle or shine, but isn't 'flat' on the skin, so it doesn't make you look powdered but still knocks back any shine/oilyness. It doesn't look patchy or make dry areas look worse either.The other thing I like about this powder is it doesn't change the colour of your base or go patchy or cakey.
The only bad thing I can find to say about this powder is the price....you need a small mortgage!
But as it beats Smashbox, Mac, T'LeClerc, Estee Lauder, Clinique, Laura Mercier and countless others (I can't get CDP here which is the only powder I've heard beats the Chantecaille) I will buy it again.

Well, this is my best replacement to my HG of powders that decided to cheap out (Christian Dior's Poudre Libre, after a long run as a high-quality, finely-milled loose powder with a perfect color... went and added TALC, which makes me break out horribly! It stayed the same price too: $45 USD). Anywho, so began my quest for a comparable replacement. After reading reviews on this site, I decided to go for Chantecaille's Talc-Free Loose Powder.

*********CONS (first):********* very limited availability, at least in Orange County, CA; had to go to Neiman-Marcus (overly pretentious store, IMHO), and they only accept cash or American Express. So that was a pain. Short of ordering online, you have to go prepared! Then, I agree that the packaging is gorgeous BUT the biggest pain in the you-know-what to work with (messy, you potentially lose product too). So, after peeling back about half of the sticky sifter cover to only let a little product out at a time, I finally caved and VERY CAREFULLY pried open the package with the flat edge of a metal spatula and transferred it into my old (and now empty) Christian Dior Poudre Libre packaging with the same thin metal spatula (are you kidding me? For $45 USD this stuff is like GOLD and you don't want to lose any of it!). See my review on the packaging for CD's Poudre Libre, you'll see why I love it so much, plus they gave you a killer compact (as in small) powder brush built into the package. I think the Chantecaille packaging came with a powder puff but why would I use that with loose powder? Powder puffs are meant for pressed powders, brushes are meant for loose powders. Anyway... on to the pros...

*********PROS:********* While I personally feel it is a shade less silky than my old fave (CD Poudre Libre), it is perfect for my needs, and for me, I like a slightly dewy finish, not cakey or heavy... I like to let my skin show through (I routinely use select concealers -- like under the eyes, round the corners of my nose, and on any select blemishes or patches of redness -- and depending on the day, I also love Shiseido's Stick Foundation... no skin reactions and it goes on great; is buildable and still lets my own skin show through. BUT, enough about that!). Chantecaille's powder is finely milled, a good color, and I use my old CD brush to apply it... no chalky appearance, and it sets my makeup so my skin feels silky smooth, and dispels shine just enough until I touch up throughout the day (only if needed) with MAC's Blot Powder (which is great because that doesn't build up product). And best of all, this talc-free powder does not break out my sensitized skin (THANK YOU Chantecaille for producing a quality loose powder that YES, CAN be talc-free!) I put dates on my products so I know a) if they're past their expiration date and b) to see how long they last me... and this first package has lasted me 6 months so far and by my accounts, will last me at least another 3... so, it's a worthwhile purchase.
*********As a side note:********* Please don't expect this powder to necessarily hold your shine at bay all day, if you tend to be oily. As a makeup artist, I have learned that loose powder is formulated more as a finishing/setting powder. If you want coverage and shine control (long-lasting), you will need to use a pressed foundation powder or more heavily-pigmented loose powder, and apply with a sponge or powder puff (sponges work GREAT for picking up enough product; plus, with their triangular angles, you can more easily get into crevices that you cannot with a regular powder puff). Also, if you are having excessive oil production problems, your skin care routine may be the culprit (a proper and controlled skin care routine that you DON'T overload product onto will help immensely. My new fave is Origins, which I will review as well).

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Talc free and makes my skin look perfect. I use it over CG trublend makeup. I have it in Subtle which is kind of like NC20-30 in mac. Comes with a gorgeous puff. If you're dealing with spillage issues just keep the original box and store it in there. I love this stuff and i'll buy it forever.

on 1/16/2004 5:10:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I just wasn't impressed with this powder...besides the impossible to carry in your purse task..Im med w/yellow u/tones and I have it in Ray and I though it was too orangey..and the powder really didnt give me that flawless look I was looking and hoping for..plus I don't think it suited my skin..I can't be 100% sure but i think it irritated my skin also...

on 5/19/2003 4:30:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have this powder in Subtle. (I wear the Chante. Future Skin in Cream.) This loose powder is very easy to use (I usually use the puff to apply and then my big powder brush to even it out). Very nice! Occasionally, I do wish that loose powders were a little neater and more compact, but it's par for the course...

on 4/2/2003 2:32:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Yes, like other ladies said, it is very fine. But set my make up? It doesn't do a good job at all.
One more thing, not easy to control. The package is not very nice or user-friendly.
Other brands, like Paul & Joe, has a 'net' on the loose powder to help you to take just perfect amount for application and yet cheaper.
But this one, far more expensive and you need to buy a brush (Tho I guess most of us have *plenty already) and an ordinary package.
I won't pay that money for a just finer powder. I will go for Paul & Joe, with pretty package and user-friendly applicators.